Valkyrie: Anyone seen it?

Sequoia

I was pleasantly surprised. If you have an interest in the subject matter, it will hold your interest. If you don't know the subject matter or have no interest, then the movie would get about a 63% rating because there was never that "edge of the seat" experience. Whether or not everything protrayed is factual or not I don't know, but if so, it does go into great detail about the plot and the execution of the plan.

I heard that Cruise doesn't have an accent in the movie.

And why in the hell didn't the Germans make the Valkyrie movie? Bah!

It was interesting how they addressed that - the first few lines are Cruise (or a very Cruise sounding person) speaking german as he's writing in his diary. Mid-sentance, he switches to english and then it just stays that way the rest of the movie.

Probably gonna go see this sometime next week. Even though that 63% at RT is down to 58% now. It's either "Valkrie" or "The Day the Earth Stood Still" at a IMAX theatre. Although the IMAX would be great, the move only gets a 19% at RT. So gotta go with the better reviewed Cruise movie over Keana Reeves IMAX bomb.

I lowered my expectations a bit before seeing Valkyrie, figuring it would be a bit watered down for the mainstream. After all, a mere bomb plot and no actual coup, couldn't be a 'good enough' story line could it? It was actually a very solid movie. They nicely showed the resistance's efforts to recruit supporters, and referenced other assassination attempts. They showed and the many men who wanted either to change history (Cruise's character, mainly) and others who felt they couldn't KO the Nazi regime but could at least do some damage and be viewed as honorable patriots for their efforts.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen it.

I thought it was ironically appropriate (or appropriately ironic) that the American/British actors/actresses are in the good-guy roles, whereas actual Germans are found more in the bad-guy roles (the notable exception being Tom Wilkinson as Generaloberst Fromm).

One key reason why the German aristocracy backed that particular assassination attempt was that they figured if they could off Hitler, they could have a chance of negotiating with the Allies (the Western ones, that is) and thus hopefully both 'save Germany' and retain their lands and their wealth and power. But the movie glosses over all that, as if the Valkyrie plotters were only trying to save Germany.

Of all the movies I've seen which at least attempt to depict WW2 events from a strictly German perspective, the one that in my view is the most realistic, accurate, and vivid is "Downfall."

Even though the 'new' "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (according my dad, who has actually seen it), stars Keanu Reeves, has far more disaster-movie-type destruction than the original, and lacks the "Klaatu barada nikto" subplot (what?!), I'd still see it for Jennifer Connelly. :)

I've seen it last weekend - not too bad. What Dietrich says is true - in the back of my mind I knew that at least some of the plotters were merely interesting in getting a cease-fire in the west so they could steamroll the russians - but once that is past, the movie is pretty thrilling. I did have a few "on the edge of seat" moments, but maybe I'm easily captured.

Cast for me was amazing, a long list of well recognized actors who all do quite well.

At the end it could have been a LOT worse in today's holywood - lfor example: "Stauffenberg in reality was an US spy and succeeded in killing Hitler upon which moment the Americans were able to capture Berlin..."

It wasn't that bad at all.

Trivia: The Ju-52 flight scenes were all shot for real, with the Deutsche Lufthansa D-Aqui and CASA/EADS Ju-52 (it's the green one) as well as with two 109 from the Messerschmitt Foundation in Manching. I've seen all those aircraft in person and it's really cool that they didn't go for CGI.

I think he might have meant to write 36T. As in bra size.

Michael

...36T?! O.o Never heard of it.

But yes, Jennifer Connelly sure was buxom in Career Opportunities. I think she looked her best overall, though, in The Rocketeer. :)

I was plesantly surprised by the movie, it was actually quite well made.

I thought I wouldn't like Tom speaking with an American accent but after a bit I deided I liked it more than english with a German accent. It had allot of tense moments which were well done.

It seemed to follow the same plot (obviously!) as the German Valkyrie (Stauffenberg) movie I watched the night before I saw it, some of the scenes are almost identical.

It's a miracle she can stand up straight without someone to hold her up. Suppose she wears a back brace?

You aren't one of those guys who thinks that any woman with a bust larger than C-cup size is either fake or 'too big' or both, are you? =P

It's all CGI...(College Girl Ingenuity) Fancy bras and stuffings to look bigger than one really is. I've seen photos of her where she doesn't look so..."abbundanza." Still a cute lady, though, no question of that.

In her teens and twenties, Jennifer Connelly was nice and shapely. Later on, she gradually lost her shapeliness over the years. From what I've observed, she's never needed to stuff her bra or resort to any such fakery; it's just that she was more curvaceuous when she was younger.

You aren't one of those guys who thinks that any woman with a bust larger than C-cup size is either fake or 'too big' or both, are you?

Of course there are those who will claim that quantity has a quality of its own. Myself, I strictly favor firm and high and that usually goes with more modest proportions, but not always or necessarily. Mostly, what it requires is young, healthy tissue, which is what makes a body attractive, i.e., pleasant to look at, in the first place.

Sexy, being mostly psychological anyway, is an entirely different matter.

Michael

That's sounds like a circumlocutory "yes" to my question. =P

I, for one, do not think necessarily think "bigger is better." In fact, I think Jennifer Connelly (in the clip linked above) is a good example of what I consider optimal bust size and shape. That said, a well-designed and well-fitted bra can make even a small-bosomed woman look like she has remarkable cleavage; but there's no mistaking the look of a respectable-bosomed woman truly filling out her bra.

(Off topic, I know, I know. I only dared to continue this topic because this is the General Discussion Forum.)

Anteeksi.

"Boob-Nazi"? Never been called that before. =P

Nazis are topical in this thread, since the actual subject is a movie about Nazi-supporters-cum-attempted-Hitler-assassinators.

For that matter, why hasn't somebody started a thread discussing breasts? Perhaps because the Battlefront forum pertains mostly to war, strategy, tactics, games, etc.? I'd like to think I'm a breast connoisseur (though not so much first-hand -- no pun intended), so I could start one. *shrug*