1.11 progress?

Meach

We're not quite there yet, but we're getting close. We feel we've got most of the critical issues fixed. The most important of those is the various pathing issues that have been brought to our attention. So far so good.

One of the issues we're looking into specifically now is what we've all come to call the Slideshow Problem. It appears that some nVidia users experience slowdowns with large scenarios that push the framerate right into the ground. The evidence so far suggests that it is a bug with nVidia's VRAM memory management, not anything that CM is doing specifically. However, we did find something in v1.10 that probably made things worse for everybody, but it was probably most noticeable for those nVidia users having the Slideshow Problem. Early results indicate that compounding problem CM was responsible for, and is now fixed, will improve things for nVidia users. However, by improve I mean that the Slideshow doesn't start as soon as it did, not that the problem itself is gone.

To answer a question on the previous page... v1.11 is for everybody. Remember, the main EXE is the same for everybody. Which makes things easier for everybody!

Steve

I am glad to hear the vehicle pathfinding issues are being tackled.

Here are a few other items, in addition to those noted earlier, that would be great if they made it into v.1.11:

• Allow M707 (Recon Humvee) to use the "Target" function to determine LOS in-game. Presently, this is only available in the editor.
  • REDFOR armor crews are missing the UI portrait graphic. This nice little distinction was added for BLUFOR units in v.1.10.

• The M16A4 handguard is modelled too short. The handguard on the actual rifle extends all the way to the front sight base - it does not stop 2/3rds of the way down the barrel as depicted in CMSF:M.
  • Show an AFV manuevering down an alleyway and/or between two trees.
  • Present the LAV-25 doors closing after the scout team has dismounted.
  • Display the gunner being correctly assigned to Stryker ESV's - they are currently missing from CMSF. As such, ESV's cannot presently use their RSW's!

I'll just add one to the list:

-Currently, a player ordering an infantry unit to disembark from a vehicle cannot give that unit a Face or Deploy Weapon command until the unit has disembarked from the vehicle.

Give the face/deploy command from the move waypoint - that is, give the disembark order, then click on that waypoint and change facing/deploy. That should work.

Give the face/deploy command from the move waypoint - that is, give the disembark order, then click on that waypoint and change facing/deploy. That should work.

Yes. What seems to happen is that the ending waypoint for dismounting units isn't automatically selected for the purposes of setting facing/deploy/etc as it is for unmounted units given a new movement path. (And I think the same thing is happening when units move into a building.)

Yes. What seems to happen is that the ending waypoint for dismounting units isn't automatically selected for the purposes of setting facing/deploy/etc as it is for unmounted units given a new movement path. (And I think the same thing is happening when units move into a building.)

It is. You have to be careful anytime you give a facing order to a unit on the move. If you don't have the waypoint where you want the facing order implemented selected, they'll just be given a "relative" face order. eg: You want a unit to move into a building, and face directly across the street, 12:00. Let's say the building is at 3:00 to them right now. If you give the move order, then just give the face order by clicking on the building, you will see your squad moving with a face command attached to them pointing to 3:00. When they get to their location, they will face 3:00. However, if you click on the waypoint and then give the face command, you should see the blue facing order attached to the waypoint itself, instead of the squad.

As a general rule to avoid any problems, always make sure you give face (and deploy, and target, and target arcs, etc) from waypoints. Unless the unit isn't moving, of course :)

Here's another one I am curious about...

It seems as if M2/M3 crew's seem to favor the 25mm cannon over the coaxial gun when issued the "Target Light" command.

Would it be possible to "weight" the chances of the coax being the primary weapon choice if "Target Light" is ordered in v.1.11? Currently, the crews will burn through their 25mm store with little the player can do to prevent it.

Oh my. Peter Panzer, I have been TRYING for a long time to get BF.C to allow the player to choose which of the Bradley's weapon is used, apparently to no avail.

This issue will be there for CM:Normandy. Target and Target Light are too indiscriminate.

I hope something gets done.

Regards,

Ken

A PBEM opponent of me has pleased me to post this questions:

1) Exploding ammo in destroyed vehicles: in RT mode you have them each 10 minutes or so, but in PBEM it happens nearly EVERY turn! In small scenarios with several destroyed vehicles its imposible to advance with all the explosions... For me it's the biggest bug in PBEM 1.10.

2) If units aquire ammo, you can see the new ammo in your units inventory. But the ammo disappears in the next turn as soon as you the unit has left the vehicel. It's a big problem with Javelins, SAW etc... I don't know if it happens for the Red Side, too. One guy who is playing with me said that he has no problems with that.

3) When the soldier with primary weapon dies (RPG, Javelin launcher, Saw, MG) anybody from the surviving team picks up the weapongun..

Are this issues known, and will the be solved with 1.11??

Now that David mentions it, it also seems to me that secondary explosions happens much more often in PBEM as in RT. I can also confirm the disappearing ammo problem! But I'm not sure about point three.