Buying CMSF: Marines in UK

RichyG

Having games that are not available anywhere else (at least initially) is part of Battlefront.com's core business model. From a game sold in retail, the people who actually make and support the game only receive a few cents.

What is worse, retail has completely different business goals than a developer who is making good deep games with a high replayability value: retail wants to sell as many units as quickly as possible. That's only possible with a HUGE marketing budget (a million copies on day one? Who here thinks that this happens because the game is so good! :)) and when you have dev teams where 90% of the people are working on the artwork ;)

Wargames have long ago fallen off the radar of retail, and Battlefront is a viable alternative for us and our fellow developers, because each direct sale is worth to us as much as 10 games sold via traditional retail channels.

Hence, we appreciate your support by purchasing direct and we have no plans currently to release Marines into retail (except in Russia where the language barrier creates a different situation).

Having games that are not available anywhere else (at least initially) is part of Battlefront.com's core business model. From a game sold in retail, the people who actually make and support the game only receive a few cents.

What is worse, retail has completely different business goals than a developer who is making good deep games with a high replayability value: retail wants to sell as many units as quickly as possible. That's only possible with a HUGE marketing budget (a million copies on day one? Who here thinks that this happens because the game is so good! :)) and when you have dev teams where 90% of the people are working on the artwork ;)

Wargames have long ago fallen off the radar of retail, and Battlefront is a viable alternative for us and our fellow developers, because each direct sale is worth to us as much as 10 games sold via traditional retail channels.

Hence, we appreciate your support by purchasing direct and we have no plans currently to release Marines into retail (except in Russia where the language barrier creates a different situation).

This statement alone is enough reason to buy this game.

I prefer the download version too...no Zoll(custom) issues!

The only bad thing is, that I often forget to save the download stuff on a disc...so BTW: is it possible to download the Marines module later again if you've lost your copy etc.?

Yes, for up to 365 days (counting from the first day you download) or up to 10 downloads. We do recommend making a copy (CD, USB stick etc.) in any case.

Just realised I'm suffering from money in the bank issues :(

Just got back from hols so I still have alot of cash in the form of euros and I don't get paid for a few days :( ... uh I mean is it likely the module will be released within the next week? If so I got to get some money from somewhere!

-----

On the continuing topic I defo agree, I got no problem of buying direct if the service is good. The problem with internet shopping is trust as you gleefully hand over your card details to someone you've never met! :|

But as a developer (artist) myself I know the woes of publishers and I currently work in the retail industry too so I know the crap that it goes through also.

Self-Publishing is probably a good plan, cuts costs etc. What marines could do with is a better review in PC Gamer than the initial release got... I bought the game anyway as I'm a supporter of Battlefront but I had to unfortuantly agree with the reviewer on alot of aspects at the time... patches have eased my personal complaints since then.

Just realised I'm suffering from money in the bank issues :(

Just got back from hols so I still have alot of cash in the form of euros and I don't get paid for a few days :( ... uh I mean is it likely the module will be released within the next week? If so I got to get some money from somewhere!

-----

On the continuing topic I defo agree, I got no problem of buying direct if the service is good. The problem with internet shopping is trust as you gleefully hand over your card details to someone you've never met! :|

But as a developer (artist) myself I know the woes of publishers and I currently work in the retail industry too so I know the crap that it goes through also.

Self-Publishing is probably a good plan, cuts costs etc. What marines could do with is a better review in PC Gamer than the initial release got... I bought the game anyway as I'm a supporter of Battlefront but I had to unfortuantly agree with the reviewer on alot of aspects at the time... patches have eased my personal complaints since then.

Sell your computer!

I hope Marines draws some players back to the fold. This(CMSF), unfortunately, was one of the worst releases I have ever purchased. I totally bought it off the cuff, thinking it had to be better than previous versions. Wow what a stinker. Now is another story of course(except quick battles....oops I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit), as the game has come 360. But coming 360 in the game market doesn't always get the customers you lost back. From what the BF crew said about preorders, it is looking good from here on out.

About net-only sales. Its just a guess but I doubt BFC really much appreciated hearing tales of CMSF copies showing up in retail bargain bins at absurdly low prices. Givin' em away probably doesn't fit with their business model... unless all those Bargain Bin buyers now want to purchase the Marine module! That might help take away the original sting. :rolleyes::P

Thank you for that. But it was impossible to patch localized version (i.e. Russian) of CMSF with any of patch versions. So I had to buy CMSF version published by 1C in their "ORIGINALS" series. That wasn't problem for me, but not every player here can read English. I guess same issue will be for "Marines" module... Actually, in Russia the bundle "CMSF+Marines" will be published, so I shall buy one game twice. :)

Richy, the Marines could arrive any minute now. Use a credit card and your instant cash problems are solved.

I don't have one, perhaps its about time I get one...

I don't usually suffer with money issues, its the first time in years lol... just in time to annoy me too!

If the release holds off til friday I'll have the money with no problem! If all fails I'll just have to pay the full price :|