Spotting (+ SPOILER ALERT first mission campain)

I've just played the DEMO training mission in hotseat mode just to see what happened to both sides and I was surprised to notice taht my syrian troops although hidden in a trench (?) were spotted . They didn't move or fire , just waiting , hidden ? The Us troops arrived at full speed and were able to spot the Syrians at 200 meters without even dismounting . I played in elite mode so this shouldn't happen or did I miss something ???

Another ( not demo related ) question , how do you know in which environment your troops are ? I mean how to be sure you are in scattered trees and not lying in open ground ? .

Thanks for your answer ..

[ July 30, 2007, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Baron Ritzner Von Jung ]

Strykers have some sophisticated optics... 200 meters is nothin.

Unlike WW2, nowadays you can often see better further when IN a vehicle, because of modern imaging and optics.

Case in point, on my deployments we had Bradley thermal imaging units that we took to the guard towers. You can see across the world with those things. ;)

I wouldn't say impossible, but in open terrain, even in trenches, there isn't much hiding unless you take advantge of folds in the terrain. That is probably your best bet. A reverse slope or a small depression will beat an any observation device if it puts ground between the two.

Thick forests/scrubs would also do the trick if large enough, but you aren't to see too much of that for now, I would reckon.

On the first campaign mission the Syrian AI taught me a lesson in that! There was a small depression in what was otherwise open ground and a T-54 was hidden in it. My force did not see it and moved past it. Next thing I know I have lost an M1A1 and a Stryker to an ancient T-54!

Not necessarily, and I can't speak from experience since I was Airborne and the heaviest thing I usually worked with was a Humvee.

Thermal imaging and what not has a great range. Even the hand held ones can be upwards of ten miles.

There are a few Cav Scout guys here who can better answer that question.

I had 4 of my M1's on the first campaign mission stand there and take a serious pounding.

Given they did shoot the enemy tanks they saw eventually..but they did not put supression fire on enemy units in plain sight, nor did they fire anything at them.

Secondly the gun carriers where brought out, who did just teh same..only when I gave manual targeting orders did they fire.

Basically, the infantry I placed nearbye saw the enemy quite ok, but obviously they didn't tell anyone smile.gif

Janster

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

On the first campaign mission the Syrian AI taught me a lesson in that! There was a small depression in what was otherwise open ground and a T-54 was hidden in it. My force did not see it and moved past it. Next thing I know I have lost an M1A1 and a Stryker to an ancient T-54!

That first mission devastated me. That same T-54 on the reverse slop took out 3 M1A1s and 4 Strykers full of infantry before I got the situation under control! Needless to say I was far to weakened to win...Syrian Victory. Don't ever, ever, get too snobby with all this new fangled equipment...or you will most certainly get seriously bloodied. ;)

I hope I'm not the only one who used that berm as a great firing position? In fact, I took-out all tanks with two M1's on those berms, as well as the bunkers to the right of the compound, and used my spotter Stryker from there to pount the crap out of the exposed infantry. Then, I maneuvered everything around the berm, blew huge oles in the east wall and leveled most of the buildinggs in the east and south with the M1's in security. Waltzed right in and took the barracks buildings, all in about 42 minutes, and on Veteran setting.

Originally posted by Baron Ritzner Von Jung:

This is all good but even with any type of sophisticated device , you shouldn't be able to detect instantly which unit is teh HQ unit and its caracteristics like "morale "suppression" etc... !

Yes this is true and I pet peeve of mine.