May 22nd Update on Game Patch

Madmatt

Hey guys, are promised before, I am going to try and keep everyone up to date on where things stand.

Earlier this week my testing team got a new patch version from 1C and are currently testing it out along with the new Map Editor and 10 Mission Battle for Moscow Add-On.

I wanted you to know about some of the stuff 1C has been working on. The following is the list of stuff in the patch I am testing now. This does not mean all of this will 100% go into the final patch (that's why we have to test this stuff) nor is this the final list of stuff, BUT I told you I would let you know whats going on, so here it is:

Gameplay Patch issues and additions:

* Map Editor Added (accessed via the builder.exe program or in the ToW Program Group shortcut "Map Editor"

* A new 10 mission "Battle for Moscow 1941" Campaign Added. Accessed via the "Extra Campaigns" option in the Campaign List page

* Improved logging functions to help with determining the causes of certain crashes

* Hot keys for Unit Formations, Movement Modes, Hold Fire and Hold Position commands added

* Better handling of the Reverse Command for vehicles, vehicles will now use their reverse gears instead of turning toward enemy when ordered to reverse)

* Expanded sound system (better EAX implementation)

* Improved sound (more sounds, and can be heard from further away)

* Waypoints added for units (hold 'shift' key when issuing movement orders to place waypoints)

* Units no longer stop when they receive a new orders

* LOS tweaks - The visibility conditions through forest were changed (being tested still but improvements allow for each individual tree trunk and tree crown to be calculated for LOS)

* AI Targeting behavior tweaked so that the default aiming location is the turret on enemy units that are hulldown

* Game speed acceleration/deceleration feature added allows speed changes of up to x2 or half speed as of now)

* Fixed bug with the units boarding certain vehicles

* Multiplayer load bugs during client loading were fixed

* Fixed: AT Guns not being able to have commands issued in some situations

* Fixed Load/Save Game errors

* Towsetup 'Autodetect' functions improved

* Mission Editor "wrong application version error" bug fixed

* Improvements to the gun towing process implemented

* Units now better at holding position when they are in defensive positions

* New "License Helper" utility (called License_Helper.exe) added to help those that had issues with the eLicense program freezing or locking up in the past

* New manual "Unlicense" shortcut added to game program group (to unlicense game without uninstalling)

Obviously, there are a lot of people with AMD and Intel multi-cre CPU's wondering how things are coming with that as well. We have identified ways to improve performance and overall game stability that are related to the game compiler version (a compiler, put very simply is basically software that pulls all the game files together and allows them interact with one another)that was used and are working at implementing and testing those changes.

Because we want to get this patch out to you soon though, it looks like this first patch will have at least some performance improvements with a second patch coming soon after that will boast even more. We are working with the compiler developer right now, and they are promising many improvements and optimizations in a updated compiler release but that new version is still a few weeks away and we don't want to delay the patch any longer than we have to.

Of course, switching to a new compiler might also introduce unforseen issues, so this is something that needs to be tested internally and that takes time as well.

Anyway, all of this compiler stuff is still being discussed internally, tested and evaulated, but I wanted you to know where everything was RIGHT NOW.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in helping myself and my team with TESTING (especially MP) then I have a few open positions that I might be willing to have you fill.

Email me (support@battlefront.com) a little background on yourself, gaming habits, your forum handle, your system specs, your experience with ToW and your availability for testing (how much time you can devote) and I will pick a few guys from the ToW community to get a sneak peak at both the add-on and patch.

Okay, so thats where we are right now. As I get more details, I will of course enlighten you all.

Madmatt

[ May 22, 2007, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Battlefront and 1C keep amazing me with their superb support for their games and willingnes to make them even better, add new stuff, features - simply hats off. Compared to the issues with Silent Hunter 4 and the fact that the players have to prove the game has been released unfinished and beg for another patch - BF and 1 C - you should be put as an example of devs and publishers. Thank you Matt for the information provided. Looking forward to the patch!

Maciej

Madmatt,

Regarding the reverse problem - my tanks would turn around instead of reversing, but I noticed it only happened when the tank was ordered to hold position when I gave the reverse order. When I give the reverse order and the tank is not under a hold position order the tank backs up properly, although at a slow rate of speed, which I assume is intentional.

The waypoints, the LOS tweaks and the AI targeting the turret when target is hull down will make quite a few people happier - I hope at least.

The game speed acceleration/deceleration seems like an interesting feature too... especially the deceleration could come in handy. Let's see how this plays out in the final game.

Thanks a lot for keeping us informed in such a detailed level.

Uwe

Originally posted by FI_Macca:

Battlefront and 1C keep amazing me with their superb support for their games and willingnes to make them even better, add new stuff, features - simply hats off. Compared to the issues with Silent Hunter 4 and the fact that the players have to prove the game has been released unfinished and beg for another patch - BF and 1 C - you should be put as an example of devs and publishers. Thank you Matt for the information provided. Looking forward to the patch!

Maciej

Nothing to say more ! smile.gif

Originally posted by Destraex:

Any news on enterable buildings??

Destraex, check out Moons post here in the "second" patch update thread.

Originally posted by Moon:

...We plan to add infantry being able to enter buildings, and, on top of that, add on-map mortars and howitzers to the game, but this is a HUGE effort which will require, uh, half a year to code in, so we're going to plan to release it as part of an add-on. As soon as some more details are firmed up we're going to make the official announcements...

Martin

Uwe

I read somewhere (I think it was Moon who wrote it) that they were working in some kind of ingame LOS tool to check lines of sight of the units in the map. I guess that something as the LOS line in Close Combat or Combat Mission. Is there any news on this?

I'm very interested in this feature, I think any Tactical Game needs it.

I read somewhere (I think it was Moon who wrote it) that they were working in some kind of ingame LOS tool to check lines of sight of the units in the map. I guess that something as the LOS line in Close Combat or Combat Mission. Is there any news on this?

agree.

Originally posted by Topo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I read somewhere (I think it was Moon who wrote it) that they were working in some kind of ingame LOS tool to check lines of sight of the units in the map. I guess that something as the LOS line in Close Combat or Combat Mission. Is there any news on this?

agree. </font>