Theatre of War AAR at SimHQ...

Magnum MGG

I had hoped for more analysis and discussion of the battle and fewer pictures. "I did this because...it didn't work because...I wanted to..."

But I guess Moon was channeling Kurt Meyer and got caught up with his Grenadiere.

Time for mission 38 minutes. Interesting.

Realism level: High. First indication of any sort of realism level adjustment that I've seen. Adds a whole new wrinkle to MP. "I only play on medium..."

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TuuSaR, I am actually not quite sure what exactly triggered the reinforcements. I played that mission several times now and they always seemed to come in at different times etc. They are definitely NOT just time triggered therefore, but probably come in based on a combination of factors (your own units, enemy units etc.)

Martin

Quick question for Martin,

In view of raging arguments going on about whether or not Pause should be allowed in MP, could you tell us roughly how many times you used pause for the entire lenght of this battle ?

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

Did such re-crewing of enemy artillery really happen on that scale? Seems like every second picture was about assaulting and turning the guns 180degrees and blasting away.

Jussi, this is mainly because while playing I tried to emphasize some of these things and highlight some differences to, say, CM on purpose. It's left to the player what he does with the possibilities at hand. For example, in at least one case it cose me dearly when I tried to man one of the AT Guns as the guys from the hill kept pounding and killing my squads. I would not have done that in a "real" battle most likely.

Martin

Tarkus, I basically only used pause for taking certain shots or looking around the battlefield for good screenshot material to be honest. I think I paused once or twice only to really sit back and assess the situation. One such occasion that I remember was when the enemy reinforcements appeared on the other side of the ridge and I needed to pause to figure out how many and where he heck they were.

Interestingly enough, at that point my virutal soldiers were showing first signs of losing morale (and they in fact abandoned their positions shortly after. Some ran away, a few returned a few minutes later) and I kind of felt the same and feared of losing the overview (hence the pause).

When I first started to play the game I was using pause about 10x more often than now. This isn't because I got used to RTS but because TOW has a different flow than the other RTS game I played so far.

RMC - this isn't the last AAR, and over time we'll be emphasizing different aspects of the game. Since some of the less visual things are up for testing and internal debate at the moment (like ballistics), it seems to make sense to first focus on the general gameplay flow and feel.

Martin

Moon, fair enough. Any comment on the realism level thingy? Perhaps you could refight this battle at a lower setting and compare outcomes? Like I mentioned before I had no idea the game had this feature. Does it affect FoW, use of morale, the ballistics, AI skill level?

Originally posted by Moon:

I think that around 150 units on the map is the current limit.

Do these 150 units include individual soliders, or is it possible to put, for example, 150 infantry squads on the map :eek:

Best regards,

Thomm

Excellent AAR... the mutiple waves of reinforcements should keep things very interesting, especially in larger battles. The AI seemed pretty competant except for sending tanks forward in ones and twos with no infantry support. I add my voice to the "mo' infantry" chorus to be implemented on the 1.0. As those who have ever been in the mech know, tankers get realy hestitant to advance without their grunts after they loose a few... and from much info, it's been that way since ww2. The flow of things felt realy good though, I would have probably taken well over an hour to finish that engagement, I like to probe, draw out and use extreme flanks. Overall...almost as good as having the demo ;-> for highlighting the game play.

If capturing and manning enemy artillery is going to be a prevalent part of gameplay, can you order your own crews to disable their guns and withdraw if it appears they will be overrun? Will they make an attempt to disable their guns if they withdraw on their own initiative?

Originally posted by MorgTzu:

No on map mortars has been reported by the devs. :(

:eek:

Is this just in the beta?

Sorry, that I missed that news elsewhere these threads are like rabbits...

Onboard or mortars organic to the units, they were part of theCompany TO&E for the period yea?

Ok, I searched and found 4 questions and answers re- mortars. I still do not see an answer if they will be worked into the intial release game, or they just won't be, or exactly what the status is.

As seen in this AAR had the attcking German Kompanie been in possesion of something you normaly expect them to have the field guns would 've been dealt with other than infantry charges and so forth. It was an excitng AAR and looked just swell, but the lack of mortars organic to the units really jumped out.

From comments developers have already made, I think it's too late for on-map mortars in the initial release.

It sounds like they were one of a number of things that they wanted to get in, but couldn't get working completely flawlessly in time for the first release.

Sooner or later, you gotta fish, er cut bait. . .

But I'm sure they will take comments to heart, in terms of what to prioritize for future updates. It sounds like their hope is that the game will be successful enough that they will be able to release a whole bunch of updates, with stuff that they have partially worked out, but didn't quite make the initial release.

On map-mortars would certainly be on my "sooner, rather than later" list...

Cheers,

YD