Theatre of War AAR at SimHQ...

Magnum MGG

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to buy the Char B, I would have had to given up 300 points of units, which would have been three tanks. The forces you saw was the default loadout.

I sent other screenshots I see they didn't use...don't blame them, they were out of order. Some decent screenshots however. Will see if Matt has someplace to put them up, or maybe the wargamer guys will put them up as just screenshots.

Rune

Guys, very hard to comment all those posts.

Thanks to everybody saying that the game is crap - this also helps to identify things we can make better.

Thanks to those who defended the game - it is just very pleasant :)

I see one solution here - wait a few weeks for the demo, play it and make your final judgement.

We will use demo comments as our last chance to quickly change some things before the launch.

P.S. In any case you will all have to buy the game, cause we are sending marines to every household with a copy of the game and a message - buy it or else... HA-HA-Ha-ha... (laugh of an EVIL RUSSIAN BAD GUY hollywood style)

Originally posted by rune:

In order to buy the Char B, I would have had to given up 300 points of units, which would have been three tanks. The forces you saw was the default loadout.

it would have been the Somua and two of those minitanks.

and what would you get in return ? an inpenetratable Char B-1 bis.

its like swapping Marders for a Königstiger, or BTs for a KV, when in both cases the enemy has only AT rifles and 25mm to 37mm AT guns.

hmmm...wondering - how often do mobility kills occur?

[ August 07, 2006, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

What's the turret front armor of the Char-1 bis btw?

I wonder how this tank will perform...

Great front hull armor, turret with useful AT gun,

Hull howitzer which only can be aimed by rotating the entire tank and pretty slow overall...

And in Il-2 one would set a delay for bombs if knowing he is going on a low level strafing run - or indeed blast himself out of the air with his own bombs if not setting a delay.

I encountered one of those in one of the German campaign missions (I think there are some screens up in the screenshot section), and it produced a stalemate for about half an hour before I got the Char immobilized and then was desperately trying to get some effective shots in at it without losing my own two Panzers. The ability to target individual vehicle areas in this game helps a bit in this respect as you can known weaknesses. I finally managed to get my Panzers into position to fire at it from the flanks and eventually the crew bailed out. I don't recall what exactly made them do it anymore unfortunately, but it's been a nail-biter.

One other thing I kept thinking is how stuff like this would not be possible in a "normal" RTS game. It didn't feel at all like playing real-time in fact and the game didn't artificially force me to speed up to reach some objective by T+5 mins or something like that, nor did it send gobs of reinforcements. Let's say that it was a "CM-moment" smile.gif

Martin

I had a moment like that last night. I was playing *gasp* CCIII. I was playing the early war invasion campaign as the Germans. It was the third battle and I had amassed a PzIII H , StuG III C and a PzIV D.

My squads were crawling toward the enemy objectives. I sent the StuG forward to a hill to get a better view. He gets up to the top and lo there is a KV-1 on the next hill over. Reverse! Reverse!

The KV took out my PzIII and damaged my Pz IV before I was able to get the crew to bail after it had been immobilized.

First of all the game looks great - just wish I knew how you actually "do things".

Two basic questions - and pardon me if this was asked/answered before:

1. In the shot below what does the "BLOCKED" label pasted over some units signify?

http://www.simhq.com/_land2/AAR_files/image002.jpg

2. The 3D map looks huge in the screenshots - but I guess play is actually limited to the area contained in the rectangular map at the lower left hand corner, is this correct? And if so, what happens to units who approach a map edge? Do they hit an invisible wall (a la Marcel Marsou)? Can they exit?

3. What do the, "You've got a task" envelopes mean in the lower right corner of the 3D screen in this shot?

http://www.simhq.com/_land2/AAR_files/image007.jpg

Thanks,

Barkhorn.

Originally posted by Barkhorn1x:

First of all the game looks great - just wish I knew how you actually "do things".

Two basic questions - and pardon me if this was asked/answered before:

1. In the shot below what does the "BLOCKED" label pasted over some units signify?

http://www.simhq.com/_land2/AAR_files/image002.jpg

2. The 3D map looks huge in the screenshots - but I guess play is actually limited to the area contained in the rectangular map at the lower left hand corner, is this correct? And if so, what happens to units who approach a map edge? Do they hit an invisible wall (a la Marcel Marsou)? Can they exit?

3. What do the, "You've got a task" envelopes mean in the lower right corner of the 3D screen in this shot?

http://www.simhq.com/_land2/AAR_files/image007.jpg

Thanks,

Barkhorn.

1. I think it means you can't remove that unit from your selection, you can remove the other units to trade points to get other unit from your reserves, but you can't remove those.

2. no idea

3. I think it means you've got a new objective to achieve

1. Arkel's right. These units are locked into place and cannot be switched between active and reserve forces

2. You know, I never really tried to order units past the map edge smile.gif What happens is that the *camera* hits an invisible wall, meaning that you cannot move your view past the edge. Now that I think about it I have seen some units maneuver very close to the edge and I don't think that it's necessarily a 100% hard border.

3. Yes, these are incoming orders from higher up. Since the translations are not finished you don't really see a description of them in most screens, but it basically describes the objective you need to achieve to win the battle. For example, it could say "take out the tranches in front of the village", or it could say (later in the mission) "defend the trenches and fight off the counterattack".

Martin

Thank you for the answers.

My personal POV on RTS/Pause/WEGO/what have you is as follows; If the game is designed as a frenetic "plates in the air" overwhelm the player w/ units/tasks click-fest than that is what you will have. From what we have heard from the devs. and the AAR's this game does not appear to be designed that way.

We all need to play the demo and form our own conclusions on that score.

Barkhorn.

Originally posted by Kellysheroes:

{{In view of raging arguments going on about whether or not Pause should be allowed in MP}}

Pause is part of the game, therefore pause should be used in MP, else you just turn the game into another kiddiefied clickfest RTS game.

great idea to annoy the hell out of your opponent.

if you cant beat them, annoy the hell out of them.

when the original CC came out I played a number of online battles with people from all over the world, well, mostly the US and Australia. quite an experience back then.

It was universally seen as very bad form to pause the game during a h2h battle (yes even the original CC had a pause function).

you wouldnt do it w/o asking and informing about the upcoming use with the in-game communication. even then it was disliked and only done for urgent needs (el bano, for example)

Moon,

The AAR looks great, my only issue is the awards system. Can this be accurately modeled? The GC in Gold was not established till '43 I believe. The panzer and inf asslt badges were awarded after three engagements, and IC 2nd class before the IC 1st class. Will the wound badge be included?

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

spanish, not italian.

you know, what your neighbors are speaking.

wnder how you dont starve in Miami.

Oh, I know you were using that poor excuse for a romance language that is commonly referred to as Spanish, Español, the language of the S. I can't take it seriously. Too many esses. Italian is so superior in all respects, it just boggles the mind.