Is ToW to use the new eLicense "system"?

GJK

GJK, yes, of course. All of our games are using it by now.

Grumblings on the newsgroups don't itch us a bit. eLicense is an extremely user-friendly system without the limitations of some of the other stuff out there, and yet is an effective way to enforce our End User License Agreement, which has been violated too blatantly a few too many times in the past couple of years.

eLicense is an online activation system, does not prevent copying (for example to make backups etc.), allows you to have two game installations at the same time, allows you to move those installations to other computers at will, and keeps your privacy as customer. Oh, and it doesn't damage your hardware, too.

In short, there are no restrictions whatsoever as long as what you do remains within the rights granted in the EULA. Anybody grumbling about that can continue to do so until he/she turns yellow.

Martin

GJK, you can can fully shut it down, it's only needed when you actually run the game. No need to be connected to the internet either after you activated your copy.

I thought the instructions to completely shut down eLicense were in the FAQ but maybe not. Email elicense@battlefront.com and we can explain how to do it.

Martin

Nope, sounds good. My last purchase from you all was CMAK (pre-eLicense) so I wasn't familar with how it worked. Sounds like it's pretty painless - as long as it isn't another "Starforce".

NEVER EVER EVER EVER-EVER while blood flows in my veins will I put my name on a game that uses StarForce...Yes, I feel that strongly about (and against) that particular product.

Of course...I can be bought... and I could always change my name...

No worries though, ToW will use eLicense which has proven to not only be pretty dang stable but pretty flexible and of course we are always here to help if you need it.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Moon:

GJK, you can can fully shut it down, it's only needed when you actually run the game. No need to be connected to the internet either after you activated your copy.

Martin

So are you saying, that whenever you want to run (play) a game with elicense you have to be connected to the license site and have the elicense program running on my PC to start it?

No, that would be just awful. You only need this to activate your copy once (the first time you run it after installation), and that's it. There is also an off-line activation procedure for computers that are not hooked up to the net, and again, you only need to do this once. Once activated, you can play the game without restrictions on that computer.

Martin

As someone with at least a little say in the matter smile.gif I can assure you that we were VERY picky when we started shopping around for better protection than a simple CD check (which, I will remind you all, annoyed the crap out of just about everybody). We wanted something to enforce the End User License Agreement, not a headache for both us and the customer. Martin can tell you that this requirement made the quest a long and drawn out one. eLicense was chosen because it met our tough requirement. So far it's been headache free, so to us it was well worth the time spent looking for it.

Steve

Originally posted by Madmatt:

You should really read over the eLicense FAQ guide located here:

Madmatt [/QB]

Heck no man, the shoe is on the other foot and now I get to be the stupid user that calls and asks questions that are 'in the manual'. HA, actually, the wording that Moon used made it sound like you needed to verify when running the game. Just wanted to make sure it was only during installation. Don't fret, IBM is much worse.

Sounds good to me, thanks for clearing that up. I do have absolutely no problems with some kind of online-authentication, as long as I have to do it only once. But I do hate stuff like Steam that forces me to connect to some whacky server thingie everytime I want to play a game, most probably telling me I have to patch something, completely re-download something, or simply don't let me play because of server issues.

• 2 weeks later...