Question about maps

Sergei

Could you explain the connection between the maps in CMC and the maps in CMBB? I mean: if you create a campaign, do you

A) create a set of 2x2km maps for CMBB and then draw an approximation of those features in CMC;

B) create a set of 2x2km maps for CMBB, which CMC automatically interprets and pieces together; or

C) draw a rough operational map in CMC, which CMC then exports on the fly to CMBB?

I SUSPECT it will be A, but that's just because it would best suit my interests. ;) Please do clarify!!! :D

why I'm asking is because I already have a 7x9 sq.km map of Tali-Ihantala for CMBB. By extending it to 8x10 there'd already be the basis for a 20 map campaign, provided of course that Finland will be added in a later patch.

P.S. Please enable HTML, I'm also more used to using html tags for italics :D

Originally posted by Runyan99:

Let's say I wanted to make small campaign with one battalion advancing 10km over just a 4km front.

I have to create TEN 2x2 maps?

Ugh.

Yes, that's what I thought at first. Then I set about making a few myself, and found it surprisingly quick by using a bunch of the tools that are available out there from fans... and a bit of random generation that's built into CMBB's map editor itself, too.

But yes, making a full blown campaign will not be a speedy proces for sure. Which isn't really going to be a problem, because playing one isn't, either. CMC is not a "Quick Campaign Generator", nor does it speed up the time that it takes to fight, say, a few dozen individual CMBB battles (of course you can auto-resolve some of those, but then where is the fun in that smile.gif )

Martin

Having played some of the games from the "Total War" series, I can say that there is nothing worse than using auto-resolution, unless the odds are very greatly in your favor. Then again, I don't think those games were nearly as sophisticated.

[ October 14, 2005, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Shmavis ]

Originally posted by WineCape:

Auto-resolution in Rome: Total War is renowned (even the RTR v6.2 mod) for the following scenario:

Prebattle: Force X (800 men)... Force Y (50 men)

Total Kills for Force X: 50

Total Kills for Force Y: 50(!)

Hah! Someone else feels my pain. Hopefully, and excuse my blasphemy for the mere utterance, we won't encounter the same problems with CMC.

Hi will the maps remember damage done to them?

I.e. Church get blown up?

This is seriously going to help those players who want to take their gaming to the next level.

I am really looking forward to this a weekend gaming events where you get some mates together and can play a proper campaign.

H

Originally posted by Holien:

This is seriously going to help those players who want to take their gaming to the next level.

I am really looking forward to this a weekend gaming events where you get some mates together and can play a proper campaign.

H

Good questions.

If the battle takes place in a specific CMC square. Then the fighting moves a few squares away and the following day returns to the original square.

Will the battle scars be there?

Will the tank hull be there?

Will there be any recovery of abondoned tanks like in operations?

OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Will we get repair shop units?!

This would be a great way to show the problems encountered by the Pz VI units (since they were so powerful yet sooooooooooooo slow, defensively they were best employed in small packets across a wide front; unfortunately, this put them a long way from their central maintenance facility).

[snip] Will there be any recovery of abondoned tanks like in operations? [/QB]

Originally posted by Holien:

This is an ***EXTREMELY*** important question. If I drop a load of rockets on a town and blow 1/2 of it to bits, what good does it do me if the next battle there give the defenders a bunch of heavy buildings to hide in again??

Please clarify this bf.c!

Thanks.

COG

P.S. I've been sporting a chubby all day since reading the announcement!!!!!!!

Here is my educated guess on this question, based on little bits of info I have collected: YES, map battle damage will be saved during a campaign.

I say this because of 1) unofficial info hinting that operational level urban square graphics will change to show damage; 2) CMBB can save map data after a battle (as a save game file) and reimport it in future battles (the QB map 'import' function). So they could hijack this functionality for CMC.

Maybe i'm being overly optimistic here.