Interest growing in CMx2 - necessary PC specs?

First i have to make BFC a compliment: i was not at all interested in CMSF. I would have bet to wait for CMx2WWII. But what i read in the last days makes this gamesim more and more interesting (PBEM, mission editor features, ...).

And now i even plan to buy it.

Since i do not play any games anymore, my computer is outdated and i will surely upgrade for CMSF.

All i want is a machine being able to play CMSF AND (more importantly for me) the second release of CMx2, the WWII game. And i mean with best quality settings and high framerates in 99% of all situations.

I think a Intel C2D 6400 should meet the CPU requirements, correct?

What about the graphics card? Will the CMx2 engine maybe even have DX10 effects? Or will maybe the WWII sequel have DX10?

If definately not, will a Radeon 1950pro be sufficiently fast @1280 resolution? I don't want to spend more money than necessary.

[ April 20, 2007, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

i don't know about anywhere else, but here in the bay area they have some ridiculous sales at places like Fry's and CompUSA, you can get an intel dual core 2.8 Ghz with a 7800/7900/X800XL/X850XT with 2 gigs of RAM, a decent case with a powerful power supply, and a PCI Express motherboard for around $500. Thats a steal, so long as you have a decent mouse/keyboard/monitor on your obsolete system that you can use on the new one.

Are the system requirements of CM:SF comparable to those of ToW in any way.

To my delight my business notebook (Core2Duo, 1GB, weak GPU) runs ToW without any problem!!

Will the same apply to CM:SF, or: can the graphics of CM:SF be scaled down far enough as to run on the laptop?

Best regards,

Thomm

IIRC the whine about ATI was the difficulty of getting the shadwows to work right. Not that it matters. BFC have to support both vendors because that's what's out there. It may be easier for them to code for Nvidia, but it would be foolish to automatically exclude a significant part of the potential audience.

Originally posted by RMC:

IIRC the whine about ATI was the difficulty of getting the shadwows to work right. Not that it matters. BFC have to support both vendors because that's what's out there. It may be easier for them to code for Nvidia, but it would be foolish to automatically exclude a significant part of the potential audience.

The point here is that ATI has shown all through the existence of CM, and many other games, that they will always find an opportunity to screw up. Namely, to break rarely used or older API features. This has been consistently so ever since the NVidia/ATI race started and even when 3dfx was around.

From the observations we can make it is pretty obvious that NVidia has a real quality assurance group that goes through the API specs, and that ATI just tests with the current crop of top games.

If you expect to play the next BFS offering for -say- 5 years (which is entirely realistic given CMx1's lifespan), then obviously you'll run into similar problems in the future.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

If you expect to play the next BFS offering for -say- 5 years (which is entirely realistic given CMx1's lifespan), then obviously you'll run into similar problems in the future.

Yeah, but it doesn't matter. The problems will be trivial. It's not an FPS where the depiction of shadow can affect the outcome of an engagement. The lack of table fog in CM on ATI cards did not change the way the game played. Your troops could see what they could see. The fog was only for your viewing pleasure and, as we all know, wargamers don't care about graphics. Graphics are for twitch gamers, not deep-thinking grogs.

Not one of you guys has seen the game, so no one knows if ATI will run CMSF or what will be affected, so please stop with the guessing. There could be people coming to this board thinking, "Well I have an ATI Raedon x600 and it will run badly, so no sense in buying this game." So BFC loses a sale, and you look stupid when it runs CM just fine. Wait for the demo.

When i started with CMBO i had an Nvidia card. It was too slow, but the fog was just wonderful. So i upgraded and got a Radeon. The missing fog became such a problem for me, that i changed back to Nvidia again, when CMBB came out.

So i want to thank all, reminding me about the ATI-problems i had myself a long time ago. I'll definately not go back to ATI again.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

To my delight my business notebook (Core2Duo, 1GB, weak GPU) runs ToW without any problem!!

Will the same apply to CM:SF, or: can the graphics of CM:SF be scaled down far enough as to run on the laptop?

Best regards,

Thomm

What GPU?

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by Sixxkiller:

Not one of you guys has seen the game, so no one knows if ATI will run CMSF or what will be affected, so please stop with the guessing.

I'm going off of what Steve said 6 months ago:

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Don't get me wrong guys, the ATI cards work and the better ones work very well. Caveat here is that shadows and certain visual effects don't work nearly as well as they should nor as well as they do on other cards. If you already have an ATI card, you'll live. But if you are about to go buy something new then you should look into a dfferent card. As others have mentioned, the ATI problems befuddle all developers, not just us.

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Best regards,

Thomm

What GPU?

All the best

Andreas </font>

Originally posted by Moronic Max:

Wait, you couldn't get Far Cry to run on that? I had it running a 2.8ghz Celeron with a piss-poor intel integrated GPU.

No, I got terrible texturing errors (purple polygons galore) both in Far Cry and in Armed Assault. Maybe it is a video ram issue (64 MB dedicated).

But honestly, I did not put any effort into it. However, I read about Far Cry running at 37 fps on this GPU ... :confused:

At present I am very happy that ToW performs so well!

Best regards,

Thomm