HAMACHI CMSF Network

GDog

Hamachi is a program that emulates a local area network over the Internet (it also had some built-in chat), and so the purpose of this is probably to facilitate easier opponent finding? Bear with me, I've only used it once.

Does Hamachi generally cause no hitch to latency? The only time I tried it the game worked awfully sluggishly, but that could have been some problem with the game itself.

Sergei,

It would help with opponent finding but also - as in my case - it helps with actually being able to host. Fiddling with my router hasn't yielded many positive results from CMSF, so currently the only way I can host games is through Hamachi.

As for latency, some people have said it actually improves the connection quality (not specific to CMSF, mind you), while I'm not sure of this I am quite sure it does not hinder it in any way.

GDog,

I had actually set up another network when I had a few games with some people from the Proving Grounds chat. Do you happen to have a premium account?

I seem to recall there being a user limit for non-premium hosted networks, so hopefully we don't fill the network up too fast and end up fragmented on a bunch of different ones.

:(

gimme TCP/ip WEGO and we go and crunch some nice 5h+ battles.

currently i dont touch MP.

but the hamachi network thingy is an excellent idea acually, you could have an insane long list of people in the network(like with icq contacts) and no matter when you come online in the network someone is here and playing or ready for a game.

it like a MP lobby a bit, but people would have to "accept" it and use it.

Panzermartin,

Thanks for your opinion and if you like RT then great go ahead. But for my needs, RT SUCKS!! (again my opinion).

I use CM products for training and there is no point in playing TCP/IP if you can't review the turn ask the trainee why they did X instead of Y?

To use CM:SF we are now looking at hotseat as a possible option but it reduces significantly the immersion factor is the trainee has to sit down, plot their turn then stare out the window while the other trainee sits at the same machine and does theirs.

Previously they would sit in different location with a copy of a map and the orders they had written and execute their plan.

So again as I said before, I wish the site well but from my point of view TCP/IP does not provide me with the functionality that I need and therefore wont be playing it.

Would it not be easier for everyone if someone started a Shock Force IRC channel where players can join to find an opponent and to chat about the game?

I've played many games of all genres in the past and most of them had a dedicated IRC channel that always had people there 24/7. Why can't this be done for CM:SF? I'd do it myself but I have no interest in TCP play currently.

Setup the channel, ask one of the admins to sticky a post with the IRC channel in the title, and voila.

Anybody had any probs with Hamachi? I ask because this looks like a dream, given that since getting a routered home network I've been unable to play mp games at all. Tried Port Forwarding and my internet connection died. Took hours of stress and multi-tech support to get back online. So I'm kinda worried Hamachi might do something similar. Love the idea of CMSF network, Gdog, but I need reassurance. What's the verdict?

Originally posted by handihoc:

Anybody had any probs with Hamachi? I ask because this looks like a dream, given that since getting a routered home network I've been unable to play mp games at all. Tried Port Forwarding and my internet connection died. Took hours of stress and multi-tech support to get back online. So I'm kinda worried Hamachi might do something similar. Love the idea of CMSF network, Gdog, but I need reassurance. What's the verdict?

Well, Routers are usually a pain but if you can't avoid one you can't avoid one...

I'm going to guess it will prevent you from seeing hosted games, but the only way to find out is to join the network and try.

• 1 year later...

Yeah hamachi is a handy tool to find opponents, it has a chat feature too so makes matches easy to choose sides and map etc.

I would like to request someone with editor skills to make a Human vs. Human multiplayer mappack for Marines module. Similar to MarkEzra's multiplayer pack with many maps/sizes and I would be so grateful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...