Battlefront's job just got harder?

Le Tondu

On the Russian intervention question and rational decisionmaking in their command structure, there is one post CW precedent that may provide some food for thought: the 1998 Kosovo intervention.

My memory is a little hazy but didn't the Russian VDV contingent make a thorough nuisance of itself? -- unilaterally seizing the Pristina airport and threatening to fire on NATO forces or some such thing? IIRC, the NATO folks had to do some quick sidestepping around them to avoid an ugly confrontation.

Of course there was significant pro-Serb sentiment in Russia, and one suspects, among the VDV paras as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Tarquelne:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />[QB] I have to agree with Mazex on the unreflective, knee-jerk French-hating. The only thing it illustrates is the self-satisfaction and myopia of a particular breed of dumb Americans.

I've come to agree. The Dumb American Shows are really being dominated by French Baiters. Sure, a French Baiter only won Best In Show twice in the last five years, but something like more than 2/3rds of the actual entries were French Baiters since 2001!

Looking at the serious DA breeder magazines you can see that the prices of all Baiters are through the roof, and it's just absurd. The breeds have their place, but they just aren't _that_ interesting. And classics like the Redneck, the Surfer Dude, the Yuppy, and even the Ugly American are all loosing kennels left and right.

For the good of the sport, these French jokes have got to stop.

</font>

I agree with LongLeftFlank that it is not implausible that the Russians would back the Syrian govt/army--it would salve their wounded pride over losing their superpower status, and if they did it right, they could expect that their participation would impose real constraints on, if not preclude, US action against "Syria" (again, not clear which Syrian factions the US is acting against).

I don't believe that the US has any significant economic leverage over Russia right now--they've got the oil and the petromillions, although if the oil price crashes they could be in trouble.

But depending on who the US is fighting, it also seems just as likely that Russia would be an ally of the US. Given the constant "small scale" terrorist attacks in Russia itself and the instability of their southern border region, the Russians fear Islamist fundamentalism as much as, if not more than, the US does, and I can't believe they would side with them.

Sorry for rambling, I just want the back story to be something plausible!

TMR

I hadn't forgoten about the Kosovo "issue" :D From what I can remember of it, there were three reasons for this:

1. National pride and "pan-slavism". The Russians were already pretty pissed at NATO for siding against the Serbs and accused NATO of slandering their good name with all this talk of genocide and what not. All Western lies! So this was a little way to get even with the West.

2. Russia had strong economic interests in Yugoslavia and wanted to rekindle them. By coming in on the Serb side, in a manner of speaking, that could help keep the "rump" Yugoslavia from moving more towards the West like the other ex-provinces.

3. NATO was in expansion mode at the time. Russia's pride and sense of security were extremely beaten up by former Soviet Republics and Warsaw Pact countries decidedly looking to the West for security, not to mention NATO's military actions in Russia's perceived back yard. This made Russia look weak. On top of that, Russia initially wasn't invited to be a part of KFOR (IIRC), then was invited in under the direct control of NATO. That didn't sit well AT ALL! So they started talks about how to involve them and Russia decided to force the issue by jumping in ahead of the NATO forces. The little stunt at the airport was designed to remind people that Russia still has a lot of weight to throw around and that nations need to listen to Russia's wants.

I think, but can't remember for sure, that 1999 was some sort of important political year so all of these things might have had increased importance. I just did a search and found these two articles, but haven't had time to read them:

http://www.ciaonet.org/olj/iarj/iarj_99bav01.html

http://www.wsws.org/articles/1999/jun1999/yugo-j15.shtml

In short, I didn't mention the Kosovo thing because it doesn't seem relevant to the Syria scenario. Other scenarios... sure, quite possibly. But not the one we're picturing.

Steve