Where's Steve....

Nah, I'm still getting over the shock of the exchange rate with Canada. That's where I was for the weekend and found that the USD is at a low against the funny looking stuff that buys beer over that way. I checked one website and found it is the lowest it has been in 10 years for sure, but I'm going to guess 20 years or perhaps forever. That plus local price hikes meant a rather expensive weekend. No wonder there weren't many Americans around. On the plus side, getting a parking space was easier ;)

Steve

Exchange rates can create funny situations sometimes. I was in Victoria once about 16 years ago and went into a thrift shop to buy a windbreaker 'cause I hadn't brought one with me. I gave the lady a US$20 bill and in return got the windbreaker and Cdn$21+ in change. It was almost as if they were paying me to take the jacket.

:D

Michael

I don't like other nation's money because they rely too heavily on coins. To me, as an American, coins are worthless. At most, they're worth $.25 (excluding, of course, the $1 and $.50 coins, but you never see those). Then, I go to another country, and I give them bills, or real money, and I just get a whole bunch of coins back! And I'm like, what's with these coins? I wanted real money! But a 2 pund coin is worth about $4 US, so they are worth something, but they're coins! I dunno, I just never handled coins well.

When they made the draw for Euro 2008, Scotland were desperate to avoid Norway, not because they are a great team ( though they are better than us) but because beer in Oslo is £7 a pint, ($11 US).

We're much happier getting the Ukraine, because even though they are a far better team, apparently beer is dirt cheap in Kiev.

Peter.

Peter,

The lower end stuff can be found for less than a dollar a liter.

The only tricky bit is that there is a big zoning fight going on over the Kiev stadium, so at present writing the game might be played not in Kiev but Lviv which is pretty and even cheaper, or Donetsk which is about as industrial Soviet as they get.

Never a dull moment.

Bigduke6,

Well Duke it's an outside bet that I'll make the away game, as it depends on cost when and where the match is played and the cost. The other big factor for me is my sons health, as i am his 24hr carer.

Still if it is in Kiev and I make it, at only a dollar a litre I'll buy you a drink, hell you could ven put me up....

Peter.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

When they made the draw for Euro 2008, Scotland were desperate to avoid Norway, not because they are a great team ( though they are better than us) but because beer in Oslo is £7 a pint, ($11 US).

We're much happier getting the Ukraine, because even though they are a far better team, apparently beer is dirt cheap in Kiev.

Peter.

Save your money Peter. Everyone knows Scotland bows out in the first round.

Noba.

Noba,

Your missing the point, you don't go because you think you'll win or even for the football, It's just a drinking weekend away to a random destination. If we win that's a bonus, but if we don't so what.

The Tartan army is more a holiday club than a supporters club, they don't actually take the football side that seriously, which given how bad ateam we are is no bad thing.

I went to see us play Brazil in the world cup in France, I was only there for a day and a hlf and had an absolutely brilliant time. Brazil beat us 2 1, and it should have bben more, but that didn't spoil the trip.

When Celtic played Porto a few years back we lost in the final, but the 50,000 fans who went to Seville had a huge party before and after the match, and everyone I know who went said they had the time of there lives.

Peter.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Noba,

Your missing the point, you don't go because you think you'll win or even for the football, It's just a drinking weekend away to a random destination. If we win that's a bonus, but if we don't so what.

The Tartan army is more a holiday club than a supporters club, they don't actually take the football side that seriously, which given how bad ateam we are is no bad thing.

I went to see us play Brazil in the world cup in France, I was only there for a day and a hlf and had an absolutely brilliant time. Brazil beat us 2 1, and it should have bben more, but that didn't spoil the trip.

When Celtic played Porto a few years back we lost in the final, but the 50,000 fans who went to Seville had a huge party before and after the match, and everyone I know who went said they had the time of there lives.

Peter.

I realise that "The Drinking" is the most important part. But, by going, you waste drinking time. You could stay home and be plastered for the whole Tournament. Mace certainly believes that principle. (Staying home). He never goes to see Geelong play, stays home and saves the 2 hours travelling by emptying more tinnies...

Noba.

BTW. Rangers are better than Celtic.

Rangers are better than Celtic.

YOU DO KNOW THIS MEANS WAR....

Actually the Gers are a good team, though we have the edge right now, and I am not one of those who gets that upset we they beat us, though the atmosphere at the games is absolutely electric and something to behold.

Which brings us back to why go to the games, it's all about the atmosphere and the experience, I mean why go to Paris when you can look at pictures on the internet ( actually why have sex fits with that too).

the answer is it's just not the same as being there and doing it. of my trip to the world cup the beer and the match were only two aspects of, a trip that involved so much more, like sitting in the early morning sun as it angled over the rooftops on to the steps of Notre Dame waiting for a cafe' to oen.

Peter.

I was in the Glasgow airport the morning after the Celtic-Porto match picking up friends from the States. It was their first trip out of the country let alone to Scotland.

They arrived to an airport filled with thousands of green and white clad, hung-over, still drunk, sun burned, hadn't washed, changed, or slept for 3 days, singing Celtic fans.

Needless to say, my friends, whose main goals were to find the nearest pub and try the local brews, were very impressed! smile.gif

Carl

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Nah, I'm still getting over the shock of the exchange rate with Canada. That's where I was for the weekend and found that the USD is at a low against the funny looking stuff that buys beer over that way. I checked one website and found it is the lowest it has been in 10 years for sure, but I'm going to guess 20 years or perhaps forever. That plus local price hikes meant a rather expensive weekend. No wonder there weren't many Americans around. On the plus side, getting a parking space was easier ;)

Steve

You must be apoplectic these days; I believe the Canadian dollar made a 40 year record-breaking high this week...

With the new $1.07CDN exchange rate, eBay has never looked better.

Travelling outside of Canada also looks great but it must come as a shock to most Americans who have lived for the last 25 years with a strong American $.

I used to move to New York during the Summer to work and pay for my university tuition as I would make a load of money. Now I will have to put up with New Yorkers moving to Saskatoon.