News on system requirements?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always the more and newer the better!! smile.gif

I've got a P4 2.8gHz with a Radeon 9200SE 128mb Graphics card and 512mb memory, running Win98SE - so a machine that is dated a little, with an operating system that was the last stable one made by MS.......will it run on that?

Originally posted by Mike:

I've got a P4 2.8gHz with a Radeon 9200SE 128mb Graphics card and 512mb memory, running Win98SE - so a machine that is dated a little, with an operating system that was the last stable one made by MS.......will it run on that?

Win98 was the last stable one made by MS????

Are you on drugs? Did you skip 2000 Professional?

Get XP Pro SP2. Way better than 98.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We probably will not support any OS that is more than one rev old. The nightmares associated with doing that, especially on the PC side, make me shudder to even think about!

Steve

Better be coding fast, then, before Microsoft gets its latest offering out (end of this year ?).

Or maybe you are looking forward to recode for 64bits?

Well Steve, if you need a CMx2 test bunny for graphic stability; I've got the following:

AMD Athlon FX-55

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI Mobo

2 x Asus 6800 Ultras running in SLi mode

22" IBM Monitor running in 1600x1200x32 (4xAA + 8xAF)

2 x Raptor Western Digital HDD's in RAID 1

WinXP Pro

Happy to run/test Cmx2 for you, but alas, my system will be old and no more cutting edge when CMx2 is released!

Sincerely,

Charl

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

If you have a system bought within the last year, and it was a decent system, I'd guess that you'd meet the minimum specs.

Steve

That sounds pretty tough! So a good system now will only meet the minimum specs for the game when it is released?!? :eek:

Or is your reply just poorly worded...? ;)

Originally posted by WineCape:

Well Steve, if you need a CMx2 test bunny for graphic stability; I've got the following:

AMD Athlon FX-55

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI Mobo

WinXP Pro

Happy to run/test Cmx2 for you, but alas, my system will be old and no more cutting edge when CMx2 is released!

Sincerely,

Charl

NICE!!!!!

Beauty rig, dude!

Rewording :D

If you bought a decent system within the last year you'll likely hit the "Medium" setup. A top rig or a good rig next year will likely be "High" mark. The difference being the ability to run with all the bells and whistles on or not. Hopefully the core performance will be roughly the same. Lower end systems purchased within the last year, or higher end purchases earlier than last year, will either need some upgrading (like a better card, more RAM, OS update, etc.) to hit "Minimum" specs.

All of this is just a guess at this point.

Steve

Half-Life 2, while incredible, is still an FPS. It takes a lot of computing power to do all the calculations to play a CM-style game. Think about all the things that have to be done: all the AI things (which, esp. tactical, will be deeper), the LOS, the armor penetration stuff; there's a lot to be done. I think the 1:1 adds a lot to that; now the engine has to calculate the positions and actions and stuff for all the little dudes in the squad.

I think the operation of the engine will tax one's computer more than the graphics.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mike:

Win98 was the last stable one made by MS????

Are you on drugs? Did you skip 2000 Professional?

Get XP Pro SP2. Way better than 98. </font>

I'm hoping my current rig will be sufficient to run CMx2 with all of its bells and whistles. I can only upgrade the RAM and video card. The mother board already has the fastest processor it can handle.

My rig:

AMD XP 3200+ processor 2.2ghz (Can't get any better than this without scraping the motherboard and going with 64bit AMD's or P4's

1GB Kingston Hyper-X RAM (I have an open slot for another stick)

ABit motherboard 400FSB (It is what it is)

Nvidia GeForce Ti4600 128mb 4XAGP (I'm already setting aside cash to get a GeForce 6800 Ultra 256mb 8XAGP

Creative labs Soundblaster Gamer 5.1 (Probably irrelevant)

What is CMx2 being tested on? If I've stepped on Battlefront's toes with this question, I'm apologizing in advance.

Originally posted by WineCape:

AMD Athlon FX-55

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI Mobo

WinXP Pro

Sincerely,

Charl

Mmmmmm, sexy rig you have there.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I volunteer my Mac for mid-to-low-end Mac testing!*

Dual G4 1.25

1GB RAM

64MB ATI Radeon 9000 (or somefink :( )

Go on, give me an excuse for a better video card.

*Sorry Madmatt, really. Please don't hurt me.

Sadly, I don't think our poor little G4s will make the cut. I hope so, but I'm guessing that the 64MB VRAM cards (8500 and 9000) wont do it.

The biggest thing is that people should FREAK OUT when it is released because those of you that remember CMBO...geez...and then CMBB...woah...there were all kinds of headaches. New gaming engines do that.

Heck even Gabe Newell and his team over at Valve had some MAJOR problems with source that are still existing.

I expect the initial system specs will scale well from moderately high end stuff today to average stuff 4 or 5 years down the line. That seemed to be the way they scoped out CMx1. But seriously look at how different the game was between the initial screens in 1998 and what came out in Late 99...

I'm just speculating but re. possible Mac specs because of the impending chip changes and the revisions in the OS code to do it. It would seem that if CMx2 is in the same league as a power hungry, pixel counting game like Doom 3 then there isn't much hope for even Mac User's with a G5 2.7 machine using a top end x800 card. That being the case why would CMx2 run on a Mac at all?

All best

patrick

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Half-Life 2, while incredible, is still an FPS. It takes a lot of computing power to do all the calculations to play a CM-style game. Think about all the things that have to be done: all the AI things (which, esp. tactical, will be deeper), the LOS, the armor penetration stuff; there's a lot to be done.

But these aren't done real time like in FPS's but after you hit the GO button (or however you execute your orders in the new game), so they don't compete with the graphics for computing power. It's harder in RTS's and such, because there everything happens at the same time.