For the love of all that is holy why can't i FF during turn?

Please tell me this is a bug. Having to watch my platoon attempt to embark/chase down a stryker that was give an order to move is just too painful to sit through for 30 secs. I know that it couldn't be possible for the developers to be so dumb to not allow a FF so what am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by mgdpublic:

Wasn't it with previous versions also? Isn't it just a matter of calculating the action faster; it can't be using up so much processing power that it can't do that can it?

The first turn in WEGO CMSF is akin to the blue bar phase of the previous games.

Try this: Close your eyes or leave the computer while the turn plays out the first time. This is equivalent to watching the blue bar while the computer crunches numbers in CMx1. Then watch the replay and you will have the ability to FF or skip the entire turn by hitting the red button.

The post makes for a funny read, if you come up with creating meanings for the mysterious "FF"...

I know that it couldn't be possible for the developers to be so dumb to not allow a Furry Ferret so what am I doing wrong?
Personally I find it really cute how instead of praising Battlefront for getting rid of the Blue Bar of Infinite Doom, people actually manage to criticize them for not inventing a Time Machine ... good times.

[ March 14, 2008, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: The Louch ]

Heh... haven't seen a new recruit for the Blue Bar Brigade in a while :D

mgdpublic,

I understand I guess. If I wanted real time I could always buy Close Combat.
The reasons for going with a RealTime game engine can basically be summed up like this (in order of importance):

1. Once the engine is built around a time concept it can not be converted. WeGo is inherently possible with a RealTime engine, but a RealTime game can not happen if the engine is WeGo. If you were to stake 3 years of development time and another 5 years of subsequent use of a game engine that could only do WeGo or one that could do both WeGo and RealTime, which one would you choose? If you say "WeGo" me thinks you aren't really taking the question seriously :D

2. Many of the shortcomings, hacks, and other things that were quite unpleasant for us in CMx1 were directly tied to the fact that the game engine was inherently WeGo. Switching to RealTime allowed us to avoid these problems again and opened the door to a ton of improvements to the inherent simulation that CMx1 couldn't even dream of having.

3. A turn now only takes 1 minute to compile and watch, no matter what. In CMx1 it could take several minutes of compiling per turn, which meant that whatever time you gained by fast forwarding in the early turns (where little might be happening) and the rest of the game (the action filled part) was likely eclipsed by the time lost to longer turn compiles. Remember, you can not think of the turn compile times as they are now on hardware made 5-7 years after the game itself, rather you have to remember what it was like back in 2000 on the hardware the game was originally written for. Rune made scenarios that took 20 minutes PER TURN to compile, for example. Same situation in CMx2 would be 1 minute.

So there you have it. And what is sacrificed for all this power and flexibility? On turns that don't appear to have anything interesting to watch you have to watch them anyway instead of fast forwarding and, perhaps, rewinding when you realize that something interesting did in fact happen.

Seems to me a clear case of the pros utterly crushing the cons. tongue.gif

Steve

I have no military experience, thus a newbie. I've seen this but I believe I mistakenly set my movement way points after I checked my squad's equipment. Didn't change back to the vehicle. Not sure if this is the explanation but I have done it (stupidly of course).

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Heh... haven't seen a new recruit for the Blue Bar Brigade in a while :D

mgdpublic,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I understand I guess. If I wanted real time I could always buy Close Combat.

The reasons for going with a RealTime game engine can basically be summed up like this (in order of importance):

1. Once the engine is built around a time concept it can not be converted. WeGo is inherently possible with a RealTime engine, but a RealTime game can not happen if the engine is WeGo. If you were to stake 3 years of development time and another 5 years of subsequent use of a game engine that could only do WeGo or one that could do both WeGo and RealTime, which one would you choose? If you say "WeGo" me thinks you aren't really taking the question seriously :D

Steve </font>

RCMP,

So there is no way to have a WEGO system in a further patch on addon module?
Err... not sure what you mean because CM:SF already has WEGO since WEGO simply means a system that allows two sides to issue their orders and have them simultaneously executed. This is the opposite of IGOUGO where each player moves and executes in one action. Therefore, your question, as written, makes no sense.

I'll go out on a limb and assume that what you really meant to ask was:

"So there is no way to have the action precompiled (aka Blue Bar) in a further patch or addon module?"

The short answer is no. No to Module because a Module by definition won't introduce significant game wide changes. That's what Titles (the primary releases) are for. But also no because it isn't worth the development time to kludge* the code into working less efficiently regardless.

If that's not what you meant, rephrase smile.gif

Steve

* kludge is a technical word meaning horribly hacking something so that it kinda works, but likely involves tons of problems which require rounds of testing/fixing and perhaps not even working very well even after.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

RCMP,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />So there is no way to have a WEGO system in a further patch on addon module?

Err... not sure what you mean because CM:SF already has WEGO since WEGO simply means a system that allows two sides to issue their orders and have them simultaneously executed. This is the opposite of IGOUGO where each player moves and executes in one action. Therefore, your question, as written, makes no sense.

I'll go out on a limb and assume that what you really meant to ask was:

"So there is no way to have the action precompiled (aka Blue Bar) in a further patch or addon module?"

The short answer is no. No to Module because a Module by definition won't introduce significant game wide changes. That's what Titles (the primary releases) are for. But also no because it isn't worth the development time to kludge* the code into working less efficiently regardless.

If that's not what you meant, rephrase smile.gif

Steve

* kludge is a technical word meaning horribly hacking something so that it kinda works, but likely involves tons of problems which require rounds of testing/fixing and perhaps not even working very well even after. </font>