Eastern Front after Normandy ;) ?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Axel:

It's stupid to say that Axis was bad soviet was good. I get annoyed every time i hear someone who doesn't have any kind of knowlegde about WW2 go: oh those nazis were bad. I mean not everyone, but only a really small bunch was really nazis in nazi Germany. And as said before if it wern't for the Wehrmacht i would probably be speaking russian and living in a slumcity now. WE have a saying here "The best russian is a dead russian"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm sure there remains much animosity between Russia and Finland, this comment seems excessive by any standard....

Yes it's true there is a big hatred against russian people here, and don't get me wrong I belong to the "not so much russian hating people". But on the other hand there has also been alot of friendship and teamwork between Russia and Finland and yes my last comment was excessive, it's always hard to let go of old conflicts and focus on the future :(

There seems to be a significant number of people that are very interested in the Eastern Front. Even though these people are a subset of all CM fans, with their new modular approach, Battlefront would be able to sell numerous modules covering the Eastern Front to each of these gamers--I would certainly buy them all.

Given the time-scale and geography involved, I would think that if they were so inclined Battlefront could create dozens of modules just for the Eastern Front. The problem is that I don't think that they are so inclined and doubt that we'll get more than one or two modules, if the Eastern Front is addressed at all. For this reason I continue to hope that Battlefront will somehow license approved third parties to create or assist in the creation of modules.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

Maybe well get East Front if a Major League baseball player takes interest in it and funds it like what happened to Advance Squad Leader.

Schilling's interests seem to have been firmly US based but I stand to be corrected. As suggested, he has a lot of other guys working on other topics - the eastern European (Axis Minor) module had a lot of interest. Stunning, but I think with ASL some guys just to have the whole set due to the quality of the materials and/or nostalgia. I am in both categories. I'm currently on a couple of playtest and design groups for post-WWII ASL projects. They have lots of guys in there designing and testing, unlike CM which is a one or two man operation as far as coding goes.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I'm not convinced there is enough good research being done to make a realistic squad based game with an Eastern Front theme, but that has never stopped anyone before.

Originally posted by unsobill:

eastern front by battlefrontâ„¢ could come out nothing but huge joke - i'm sorry, but simply you dont have materials, archived data and much more needed information to make eastern front. Stick to normandy and "band of brothers" scenario - you cant get wrong with the sales on this one and wont bring anger of soviets, like myself, upon yourselfs for showing eastern front as walk on the beach in perfect weather and titanic strugle on western front... afterall we all know who took Berlin first and who backstabbed Soviet Union in Berlin and went on nazi side defending their warcrimes and genocide of soviet nation... make game on coldwar scenario or better ww3 instead and dont forget make some extra healthbars for western block - the'll need it in ww3...

p.s btw cc3 was my most favorite part

The west needs no xtra health bars fool, we have Apache helos and M1 Tanks to smoke those reds. The Irony of this post is the recent comments of Putin about the U.S. as being "Nazi like"....

I am Canadian but do not have a real big interest in playing the Canadian side. Not to say that I do not find it interesting but I still prefer the whole Russian front - From Finland all the way to Berlin.

Having read the threads and noticed that a lot of emphasis was put into the statement that the American market is the most important and they need the whole good vs evil concept, what about Korea.

Small in scope (compared to Russian/Western Europe), less hardware, common terrain and a shorter time frame (Korean invasion until stabilization of lines about a year later). Much of the equipment is WWII vintage (T34/85s, bazookas) and the subject matter is something that has not been done to death.

Originally posted by Axel:

And as said before if it wern't for the Wehrmacht i would probably be speaking russian and living in a slumcity now. WE have a saying here "The best russian is a dead russian"

What's so bad about speaking Russian? :D

And we Russian don't have a similar saying for the Finnish people, because Finland holds absolutely no importance to us or to anyone else (except Finns of course) on the global scale whether speaking economically, strategically or in any other recognizable way.

Your only claim to fame as a nation is repulsing a half-hearted invasion by a barbarous greedy tyrant in a useless land-grab who first crippled his own army by decimating all of its skilled commanders and officers.

Well, that and having a yearly contest where y'all pick up your women folk and race around obstacles with 'em.

Oh, and here's another vote for seeing CMX2:EF at some point in the future!

I can see the whole "no Americans, I don't care" angle.

However, I think there may be even a more simple explanation.

There are many CM fans out there who know more about WW2 because of CM than they do through any other source of material.

They also know virtually nothing about the eastern front. What they do know is the age old, stereotypical and wrong viewpoint that the Soviets threw millions of men into the meat grinder and human waved their way to victory.

I personally am now in my late 20's and even though I have always been interested in history I had the exact same misconceptions even after I graduated from HS.

I always found something about how the Soviets won to be distasteful. It didn't seem like they fought in a "sexy" way.

Later as my interest in WW2 increased I decided I should broaden my knowledge of what actually happened over there. It was then that I started to realize just how impressive the Eastern Front was.

I think ultimately ignorance of the Eastern Front is one of the biggest reasons people are not interested in it.

That said, please release a CMx2 Eastern Front expansion ;p

Originally posted by tdogg:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by unsobill:

eastern front by battlefrontâ„¢ could come out nothing but huge joke - i'm sorry, but simply you dont have materials, archived data and much more needed information to make eastern front. Stick to normandy and "band of brothers" scenario - you cant get wrong with the sales on this one and wont bring anger of soviets, like myself, upon yourselfs for showing eastern front as walk on the beach in perfect weather and titanic strugle on western front... afterall we all know who took Berlin first and who backstabbed Soviet Union in Berlin and went on nazi side defending their warcrimes and genocide of soviet nation... make game on coldwar scenario or better ww3 instead and dont forget make some extra healthbars for western block - the'll need it in ww3...

p.s btw cc3 was my most favorite part

The west needs no xtra health bars fool, we have Apache helos and M1 Tanks to smoke those reds. The Irony of this post is the recent comments of Putin about the U.S. as being "Nazi like".... </font>

"Your only claim to fame as a nation is repulsing a half-hearted invasion by a barbarous greedy tyrant in a useless land-grab who first crippled his own army by decimating all of its skilled commanders and officers."

Now what the hell was that all about?

It seems that you don't have any idea what you're saying Ivan (the quote has abit sense though), Russia and Finland has been partners to some degree if I'm not mistaking myself here. Oh and I'm with Ivan on the point that there should be CMx2 eastern front.

[ May 11, 2007, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Axel ]

Originally posted by Ivan Drago:

Your only claim to fame as a nation is repulsing a half-hearted invasion by a barbarous greedy tyrant in a useless land-grab who first crippled his own army by decimating all of its skilled commanders and officers.

And the Finns did it again in 1944. Isn't it amazing?

I didn't see this mentioned: comparing CMBO to CMBB, even with the better graphics and gameplay in CMBB I didn't/don't care for the geography. I like the look of Western Europe (even banged up) far more than the usual USSR battlefields--that's actually more of an "emotional" factor for me than who the sides are. Weird, I suppose.

I understand the point about bad guys v. bad guys, but look at all the players (myself included) who love to play the German side..even while part of my brain is cheering as my panzers get drilled.

Well if I was being contrary as usual on this ******* board I'd say something about Finland being the only Axis nation to never apologise, but instead revel, in its role.

For a closing shot I'd mention that they surrendered twice and accomplished nothing aside from helping to kill millions of innocent civilians in Leningrad.

No wonder they are proud...How am I doing?

Eastern front all the way. To me, a game with the cmx2 engine, heavy eye candy graphics, and the operational layer of cmc built right in to an eastern front game would be the ultimate. This would be the game of all games and I know BF could make it happen. Oh and I to am an American who loves WWII eastern front. I'm tired of Normandy, tired of St.Lo, tired of Bastone. Kursk, Stalingrad, or Korsun make those look like picinics. The funny thing is, I live in a sleepy California beach town where I'm the only one who even knows what Kursk was.

Originally posted by Rob Ross:

Well if I was being contrary as usual on this ******* board I'd say something about Finland being the only Axis nation to never apologise, but instead revel, in its role.

For a closing shot I'd mention that they surrendered twice and accomplished nothing aside from helping to kill millions of innocent civilians in Leningrad.

No wonder they are proud...How am I doing?

Pretty well for an ignoramus.

I'm with Keke here, and why did russia start messing with us then we didn't want to have a war, but we never doubted in defending ourselves. Rob, Hitler asked our leaders (Finlands) to attack Leningrad so that germany could focus on other points but dispite this request we refused and didn't invade russia even though they invaded us. And should we have appologised russia that's ****ing akward they invidaded us even if it was a "half hearted" attempt they got their ass kicked and then kicked again in 1944, so Ivan it seems like russia always have half hearted attempts.

To be fair, Soviet Union didn't exactly get its ass kicked, but against a nation of 3.5 million people only managed minor victories (in CM terms) in both occasions. Also, if Soviet Union had an opportunity to fully commit its forces against this minor nation, there's no doubt how it would have ended.

On a related note Finnish national ice hockey team just beat Russians at Moscow 2-1. Sweet. ;)

Originally posted by Keke:

And the Finns did it again in 1944. Isn't it amazing?

I mean, you did better then the French did against the Germans in the early war, I'll give you that.

But amazing? Not really.

Not considering the circumstances. Better defensive terrain, being attacked by disorganized, demoralized enemy troops being led by politically placed Commissars instead of capable trained leaders (who were at the time breaking rocks in some Siberian gulag)...then in '44 Russia/USSR was WAY too busy fighting and beating the greatest enemy it had ever faced, racing for a quick victory.

The incursion into Finland was meant to incite a ceasefire so that the Red Army could concentrate on the main foe and to conquer some territory as a buffer zone - the Soviets achived these goals, of course at a price.

If the attempt was anything more then half hearted, for example if Finalnd was strategically important for some strange reason, the result would have been Helsinki looking like Berlin circa 1945. Buildings reduced to rubble and Soviet troops going on a raping spree of massive proportions.

I'm not really adept at playing the role of the nationalist flag-waver, but this whole 'chest-puffed-out-uber-finn' thing does get on the nerves every once in a while. tongue.gif