1.02, battles still as exciting as ever.

screenshot26au9.jpg

Damn, so hard work, had to press the play button once. Hard to see any improvments as the Strykers died too fast, but on the up side, one of them did pop smoke once! It died 3 sec afterwards though.

And oh, after the paradox 1.02 I got a new cool feature, CTDs. Ive reported them in the tech forum.

I have noticed that vehicles do pop smoke now. One of my M1s and two Strykers popped smoke which was nice.

I did notice two strange things though.

I noticed random smoke appearing on the battlefield. I noticed a white smoke round in the middle of an 81mm mortar barrage, 1 in the middle of a 155 barrage and 1 that I think was fired from a tank. I don't know if they were supposed to be dust but they were fluffy white clouds.

I also noticed something strange with what I think were mines. I had several vehicles roll through an enemy position that was reported to contain mines. As the vehicles would roll through there would be an explosion behind them leaving a crater. No incomeing tracer or even any enemy with that kind or ordinance (I checked at end game) left on the battlefield. The result was that 4 or 5 of my vehicles had these delayed mines go off behind them but none of them suffered any damage. I have run into IEDs before but they always went off right under the vehicle, at least in 1.01.

I did have one MG team run across one of these mines, after a company of tracks had run over the same area by the way, and it went off while they were on top of it causing two casualties.

I'll have to take a look at the scenario from the red side but I think they were mines rather than IEDs.

My vehicles were under a "move" or "hunt" order so they weren't going very fast. At first I was thinking that they were just lucky or that it was an RPG miss. Once it kept happening I started feeling that something was wrong.

The explosions went off directly behind the vehicles at a uniform distance of about 10 meters and left a pretty large crater. Even if they were AP mines they still should have gone off under the vehicle.

Panzer76, in your zeal to tear CM:SF a new hole every chance you get, you might do well to remember when the things you are complaining about in CM:SF are identical to the problems in any game in general or CMx1 specifically. CMx1 was blasted, time and time again, by people saying that playing as the defender was as simple as hitting the GO! button. I'm guessing that Panzer76 was saying the same thing when he played CMx1 games too.

Steve

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

..anyhow, Panzer76 were you playing the Syrians or the US?

I'm not exactly proficient at this game yet and still have not been rough ed up as bad as that yet. You are trying to win, right? ;)

Playing as Syrians. The last Stryker survived cos it just sat at one spot fro 10 min and I got tired of waiting, so clicked cease fire.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Panzer76, in your zeal to tear CM:SF a new hole every chance you get, you might do well to remember when the things you are complaining about in CM:SF are identical to the problems in any game in general or CMx1 specifically. CMx1 was blasted, time and time again, by people saying that playing as the defender was as simple as hitting the GO! button. I'm guessing that Panzer76 was saying the same thing when he played CMx1 games too.

Steve

Thing was Steve, in CMx1 I atleast had access to new maps everytime I loaded it up. I had access to more units, and I could hand pick them, just to make fun/interesting combos.

Indeed, the Strat AI in CMx1 was weak, but hey, at least he MOVED the units. Here, they move a few meters, stop, hang around doing nothign for some time, move again etc. Its a step backwards as far as I can see.

And, I thought this was the new revolutionary CM, so I dont get it why you defend it by saying the attacking AI in CMx1 sucked too. I thought you were trying to improve the game.

Lastly, yes, only a human can give a decent challange, but you ruined that also, since you removed WEGO TCP/IP.

Panzer brings up an interesting point. At least the AI in CMx1 moved their units. CMSO I consistently run into more than half (if not all) of the AI units still sitting in their deployment zone.. I always love that feeling when I find out I have wasted 30 mins of my day when I realize the AI is still in the deployment zone.

You know, a blanket Max Assault (which seems to make the attackers more cautious?) + 300m ambush across the entirety of the map would really make a difference in QBs for a defending AI. That's the setup that I use in my slum scenario (albeit 75m ambush) and it works like a charm.

The AI in my scen counterattacks, assaults isolated units, and takes advancing units under fire from good positions... and I didn't need to setup a single one of them by hand.

On the other hand, Advance + 300m ambush would probably work great for attacking AI.

How does QB AI currently work?