The ultimate definition of irony?

My old 2G P4 ran SF. Very badly, but it ran it.

So I ordered a new one last week - got it - built it tue & wed night.

Got my uber geek mate to come find out what I did wrong tonight - now it's working. Brilliantly. Half Life 2 looks amazing.

SF crashes when I finish the order phase.

So I've spent ~£550 ($1100) on a machine that runs a game I'm bored of, but not what I wanted.

*sigh*

HL really does look amazing though.

I have an 8800 and I'm getting by OK. The game performance is horrible regardless of how powerful the machine is though.

The single CPU affinity trick keeps the game stable for me. So now it's not crashing every 2-3 turns and the teleport bug hasn't manifested again. I have an AMD X2 (which is a dual core) though rather than an Intel. The MS Power Management patch along with the single CPU affinity trick should get the game playable at around 10 frames per second at medium graphic settings.

Good luck.

BTW, the Insurgency mod is pretty fun and it'll make you feel right at home - it crashes a lot... I get around 130 fps on my rig while playing outdoor maps like Sinjar and Karkar. It's mildly unfair to compare Source engine performance to CM:SF though since one uses DX9 and the other use OpenGL. The driver code is completely different.

Originally posted by molotov_billy:

What video drivers do you use?

Using the previous version, 158.45. I'm not using the affinity trick or changing the process priority either. I am running the game as adminstrator though.

edit: I noticed the OP said it crashed after the orders phase. I'm playing RT, so maybe that's the difference.

Same here. I got a nice new 8800 GTS 640MB graphics card especially in preparation of CM:SF. Other games run like a charm now. Turns out performance in CM:SF is quite horrible. On my other computer, with a similar CPU, but with a 'mere' 256MB 7600GT card it runs like 4 times better!

Quite disappointing. I'm actually considering putting my 2 year old 6600GT back in to see if performance improves!

I don't understand all these system problems everyone complains about. I'm sorry I know its very frustrating, but every time I get a new game people in the forums are all screaming how buggy the game is because it keeps crashing on them, and the the developers need to focus on a patch for their system hardware setups.

Really, I don't think most people know how to configure and maintain and update their computers properly.

I'm not going to get into to many specifics but, I have a 8800, a multcore processor, a quad core intel, the EVGA i680 motherboard which everyone at the evga forum seemed to be having so many major problems with. I'm using the 1.62.18 forceware drivers and using XP with service pack 2, I have an old soundblaster sound card.

And have been running the game everything on highest since the release with absolutely no crashes, no lockups, no black screens and smooth performance with no slowed down animations-though the camera is consistantly a bit slow moving when it across the map: not snagging, just moving slow-which is probably th just the design of the engine.

I did had to do only one thing -and that's as expected- update my drivers before it ran smoothly.

I'm willing to bet I can get it to run fine on

someone elses system-say an AMD or whatever- with different specs-well in the case of ATI I may have to wait for new drivers or disable a feature in the control panel but it will run fine. I can tell you how many different builds I've had even in the past couple of years where everyone is complaining about crashes on the same system as I had and demanding a patch and how much they know about their computers, how the programmers couldn't code right and all the other games they ran work fine.

What bothers me is that Battlefront is going to feel obligated to spend all their time and effort on patch after patch that deals with only say 8800 technical problems and dual core processor problems when what we really need for the game is good quick battle tacAI and a better control interface, pathfinding and other things that effect the actual game.

I have a dual boot system so one of my operating systems is visa 64bit, I didn't even bother with installing the game on it-what with all the game and utility, incompatibilities many just won't run-developers don't seem to want to support this OS its missing something that the old 32bits had. Though if I had a 32bit I wouldn't hesitate.

I can't remember if they said this game was 64bit compatible I if so I may give it a try on that drive as well.

Well, I'm not a n00b as far as computers are concerned. In fact, I am a programmer myself. I know about the importance of updated drivers.

The simple fact is that the game is performing badly on my computer, despite a kickass graphics card. I'm running plain old 32-bit Windows XP Professional.

Originally posted by FaxisAxis:

I don't understand all these system problems everyone complains about. I'm sorry I know its very frustrating, but every time I get a new game people in the forums are all screaming how buggy the game is because it keeps crashing on them, and the the developers need to focus on a patch for their system hardware setups.

Really, I don't think most people know how to configure and maintain and update their computers properly.

I'm not going to get into to many specifics but, I have a 8800, a multcore processor, a quad core intel, the EVGA i680 motherboard which everyone at the evga forum seemed to be having so many major problems with. I'm using the 1.62.18 forceware drivers and using XP with service pack 2, I have an old soundblaster sound card.

And have been running the game everything on highest since the release with absolutely no crashes, no lockups, no black screens and smooth performance with no slowed down animations-though the camera is consistantly a bit slow moving when it across the map: not snagging, just moving slow-which is probably th just the design of the engine.

I did had to do only one thing -and that's as expected- update my drivers before it ran smoothly.

I'm willing to bet I can get it to run fine on

someone elses system-say an AMD or whatever- with different specs-well in the case of ATI I may have to wait for new drivers or disable a feature in the control panel but it will run fine. I can tell you how many different builds I've had even in the past couple of years where everyone is complaining about crashes on the same system as I had and demanding a patch and how much they know about their computers, how the programmers couldn't code right and all the other games they ran work fine.

What bothers me is that Battlefront is going to feel obligated to spend all their time and effort on patch after patch that deals with only say 8800 technical problems and dual core processor problems when what we really need for the game is good quick battle tacAI and a better control interface, pathfinding and other things that effect the actual game.

I have a dual boot system so one of my operating systems is visa 64bit, I didn't even bother with installing the game on it-what with all the game and utility, incompatibilities many just won't run-developers don't seem to want to support this OS its missing something that the old 32bits had. Though if I had a 32bit I wouldn't hesitate.

I can't remember if they said this game was 64bit compatible I if so I may give it a try on that drive as well.

You have no idea how far off this is. Spend some time in the tech support forums to get an idea of the actual problem.

Updating drivers isn't rocket science. People have done it. CM:SF runs horribly on a lot of systems with updated drivers - and, actually, people have had better performance when installing specific, older drivers.

Battlefront SHOULD feel obligated to look into these issues because they released a BETA product that doesn't even support the majority of modern hardware on the market.

"You have no idea how far off this is. Spend some time in the tech support forums to get an idea of the actual problem.

Updating drivers isn't rocket science. People have done it. CM:SF runs horribly on a lot of systems with updated drivers - and, actually, people have

had better performance when installing specific, older drivers.

Battlefront SHOULD feel obligated to look into these issues because they released a BETA product that doesn't even support the majority of modern hardware on the market." Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2005 | IP: Logged

I'm far off. No you are. My point is I have what most here have which is same basically the same system and OS he does and I'm not having any problems. What does that tell you but that my computer is setup properly and maintained and maybe his isn't or for that matter anyone else here who has the same setup.

Also consider what you have on your hard drive as far as crappy or conflicting programs, corrupt files etc-by the way I have a program for just about anything but I am choosy about what goes on my hard drive and how its installed and when it runs same with hardware-I don't own no dell! I hand pick my hardware read about it, test it and make sure its all going to all work well together.

I know a lot of programmers who are quite good at what they do but either don't know much about the hardware and how to keep a computer running well or they are just too lazy to bother to go through the trouble of fixing it so it will run well. Programmers are not the be all and end all of computer technology. Also, I see alot of people these days in forums who like to proudly announce themselves "Programmers" "Well, I'm a programmer and I know this shouldn't happen."

This is what I read all the time is what I read all the time. I learned how to program in a few languages years ago maybe I'm a programmer too: "make way there's a PROGRAMMER in the house!" lol

Sometimes you need to just get your head out of the code you're writing in and the individual program functions and statements that your writing and look at the actual computer and learn about how it works with its OS and all its components and software and drivers and believe me it can be just as challenging and interesting if you want to learn something other that code or you can just leave it up to someone who knows more about computers.

Good luck friend

Maybe someone here can help.

Again, spend some time in the tech support forums and see what's actually going on. There are folks that have done everything that you've done but continue to have horrible framerates, crashes, and lock-ups with version 1.01.

There are a plethora of hardware compatibility issues with Combat Mission:Shock Force. We're happy that you have none of them, but unfortunately not everybody has your very specific set of hardware combinations. Sorry.

There is something wrong with the nVidia 8800. It's performance, and stability, is highly questionable for some reason. We've taken this so seariously that Charles just bought a new system with an 8800 so he can track down the problem himself. If you knew how old Charles' system is you'd know what a big deal this is. Charles "if it boots it stays" Moylan knows what needs to be done :D

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

There is something wrong with the nVidia 8800. It's performance, and stability, is highly questionable for some reason. We've taken this so seariously that Charles just bought a new system with an 8800 so he can track down the problem himself. If you knew how old Charles' system is you'd know what a big deal this is. Charles "if it boots it stays" Moylan knows what needs to be done :D

Steve

He might have compatibility problems with his jar though.. :D