The ultimate definition of irony?

Yeah, I have an 8800GTS and the game is slow with bad framerates but it's not falling over. I messed around with my older 7900GS and the game behaved identical. Latest drivers for both cards, no real difference in gameplay.

I'm getting just under twice the framerates in DX9 games with the 8800 vs the 7900. Presumably OpenGL performance should be similar (assuming the OpenGL drivers are as good as the DX9 driver which is an assumption I know shouldn't be made).

Other Means: It would seem that you have the same problem that I have if you are using Windows XP. Its the thing with multi core processor and power saving bug or smth like that with XP.. Try finding a post by me around the day CM: SF launched and there will be the direct link to the update from MS.. I never had had any problems with any games but it solved all my problems with CM: SF.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

There is something wrong with the nVidia 8800. It's performance, and stability, is highly questionable for some reason. We've taken this so seariously that Charles just bought a new system with an 8800 so he can track down the problem himself. If you knew how old Charles' system is you'd know what a big deal this is. Charles "if it boots it stays" Moylan knows what needs to be done :D

Steve

Thing is, Kwazydog recommended it to me, now I in no way hold him responsible or feel BFC owes me anything for this, and I'm equally sure that it'll get fixed - I just think it's a little ironic.

Originally posted by Hotti:

Other Means: It would seem that you have the same problem that I have if you are using Windows XP. Its the thing with multi core processor and power saving bug or smth like that with XP.. Try finding a post by me around the day CM: SF launched and there will be the direct link to the update from MS.. I never had had any problems with any games but it solved all my problems with CM: SF.

I think Matt's got it in his sig, I'll check it out, cheers.

Originally posted by FaxisAxis:

I don't understand all these system problems everyone complains about. I'm sorry I know its very frustrating, but every time I get a new game people in the forums are all screaming how buggy the game is because it keeps crashing on them, and the the developers need to focus on a patch for their system hardware setups.

Really, I don't think most people know how to configure and maintain and update their computers properly.

I'm not going to get into to many specifics but, I have a 8800, a multcore processor, a quad core intel, the EVGA i680 motherboard which everyone at the evga forum seemed to be having so many major problems with. I'm using the 1.62.18 forceware drivers and using XP with service pack 2, I have an old soundblaster sound card.

And have been running the game everything on highest since the release with absolutely no crashes, no lockups, no black screens and smooth performance with no slowed down animations-though the camera is consistantly a bit slow moving when it across the map: not snagging, just moving slow-which is probably th just the design of the engine.

I did had to do only one thing -and that's as expected- update my drivers before it ran smoothly.

I'm willing to bet I can get it to run fine on

someone elses system-say an AMD or whatever- with different specs-well in the case of ATI I may have to wait for new drivers or disable a feature in the control panel but it will run fine. I can tell you how many different builds I've had even in the past couple of years where everyone is complaining about crashes on the same system as I had and demanding a patch and how much they know about their computers, how the programmers couldn't code right and all the other games they ran work fine.

What bothers me is that Battlefront is going to feel obligated to spend all their time and effort on patch after patch that deals with only say 8800 technical problems and dual core processor problems when what we really need for the game is good quick battle tacAI and a better control interface, pathfinding and other things that effect the actual game.

I have a dual boot system so one of my operating systems is visa 64bit, I didn't even bother with installing the game on it-what with all the game and utility, incompatibilities many just won't run-developers don't seem to want to support this OS its missing something that the old 32bits had. Though if I had a 32bit I wouldn't hesitate.

I can't remember if they said this game was 64bit compatible I if so I may give it a try on that drive as well.

Don't you know that you're my heeeeroooooh

you are the wing beneath my wiiiingsss.

I'm far off. No you are. My point is I have what most here have which is same basically the same system and OS he does and I'm not having any problems. What does that tell you but that my computer is setup properly and maintained and maybe his isn't or for that matter anyone else here who has the same setup.

Okay. So you explain to me how I should 'maintain' my computer? I have updated my graphics card, I have made sure all important drivers are installed. I don't really use Windows much anyway, since my main OS is Linux, so its pretty clean with few nonsensical programs installed or running in the background. What more should I do to 'maintain' my computer?

Also consider what you have on your hard drive as far as crappy or conflicting programs, corrupt files etc-by the way I have a program for just about anything but I am choosy about what goes on my hard drive and how its installed and when it runs same with hardware-I don't own no dell! I hand pick my hardware read about it, test it and make sure its all going to all work well together.

Yes, all very nice. I don't run no dell either, except for laptops that is ;) . Dell makes very nice laptops!

I know a lot of programmers who are quite good at what they do but either don't know much about the hardware and how to keep a computer running well or they are just too lazy to bother to go through the trouble of fixing it so it will run well. Programmers are not the be all and end all of computer technology. Also, I see alot of people these days in forums who like to proudly announce themselves "Programmers" "Well, I'm a programmer and I know this shouldn't happen."

This is what I read all the time is what I read all the time. I learned how to program in a few languages years ago maybe I'm a programmer too: "make way there's a PROGRAMMER in the house!" lol

:D . I'll do even better than that! tongue.gif I'm a professional programmer and in my free time I also programmed my own OpenGL game. So don't feed me this crap, please. Just assuming others are lying is not a very constructive approach IMHO. I'm not clueless about 3D graphics. I'm not very good at programming in OpenGL though, it is not easy to do efficiently if you ask me.

Trust me I completely sympathize with BTS on this. You don't want to know how many hours I spend with people from my game essentially experimenting to get the game to run properly on half-arsed integrated Intel graphics chips, old Matrox cards or even older Macs. Yes, outdated drivers are usually the solution to most problems when people have ATI or Nvidia. With anything else it usually gets more complicated. Again, you don't want to know how often I'd had to tell people to update their drivers.

Some screenshots of my game:

http://www.callofcombat.com/screenshots/

Pretty ugly, no? ;) . Yet, even with such simple OpenGL graphics I've had many people who had trouble running my game smoothly. Making a graphics engine work properly on a multitude of different systems is not easy at all, especially if you don't have spare cards and computers lying around at home on which to test and debug your game properly.

Sometimes you need to just get your head out of the code you're writing in and the individual program functions and statements that your writing and look at the actual computer and learn about how it works with its OS and all its components and software and drivers and believe me it can be just as challenging and interesting if you want to learn something other that code or you can just leave it up to someone who knows more about computers.

Good luck friend

Friend eh? You don't sound like a friend tongue.gif . Way too presumptuous ;) .

Anyway, there is something fishy going on with the 8800 GTS Nvidia card and CM:SF on my system at least. It's more than just 'low FPS'. For example, when keeping shift down the game can freeze for up to a minute. Rather than just being 'slow' the graphics seems very erratic, jumping from high to low FPS quickly while moving the camera. In my case using lower resolutions didn't help at all, while lowering the quality does have an obvious effect.

[ August 04, 2007, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: KAding ]

I don't know but I'm sick of people complaining every time some new hardware comes out and they are having all these problems that I'm not having and I have the same exact stuff-same video card they are blaming all their problems on or same make of ram.

Well. If it's any consolation, this is also the first time I've ever complained about performance on a game forum. ;)

It might happen to you as well sometime. Your carefully selected components might suddenly fail to work properly in one game or another. Just remember this thread when that happens, people like you don't like whiners so you better not complain about it too much tongue.gif .

As for frame rates jumping up and down lets say from anywhere between 11-60 while in full action and moving the camera to different parts of the map thats not unusual- this is what I had with 4x antialiasing and 16 aniso filtering vertical sinc on everything tex on high res at 1280 x 960 or whatever. I ran fraps today and this is what I got but 11 was rare and I had on a quick battle where there were more units than I could count and all kinds of stuff happening I even left it on and it was rather hot this morning where I live. But no artifacts, no lockups and no crashes. Frame rates jumping up and down especially in an over the top RTS with all kind of battles going on and smoke and dust this is typical.

AS far as temporary freezes go well, friend, I haven't any to report and if I wanted it to run faster with the lowest being say 15 or 20 I might be able to by just turning the settings down a bit. True the game itself could use some optimizing but most every game when it comes out needs a patch to make it run faster.

I take into concideration how much is going on in this game how many commmands: which by the way my slow downs-alot of this is CPU intense in the case where you have several different battles going on with AI thinking out ever question and answer and what to execute in each different situation. And Shock Force doesn't seem to take advantage of multicore processing or does it? No, don't say that! There are in fact more than a few games out now that use multiple threads and multi core processing and its going to become more and more the norm with games in the very near future. But, yeah, if it locks up could be all the dust being rendered from the explosions or something a video card problem- maybe you've got mortar and desert dust clogging up your GPU fan ! Tell Steve at once and avoid explosions or keep the camera away! wow, this game is so real!

Friend I am proud of the game you made- by yourself? and can see it took a lot of time and hard work, really. And you are right, my friend,

it is true there are so many different hardware setups and configurations some will work well with some games others that are fine with most will have problems with certain games.

I hope I have problems in the future-would serve me right! I haven't had a good problem to think about in a long, long time. Its frustrating when you do everything you can and still the same problem just when you think you have it solved... crash!!! That is the fun of computers.

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

and this why I dont buy brand new cards.

and those who bought 8800's didn't buy new cards, anything on the vid card market for more than 6 months is by definition not new, and the 8800GTX was released end of last year

if there are issues running SF on it, it's not because the card hasn't been readily available for testing for some time now

is this specific to just the GTS?