HUMVEE request

Originally posted by thewood:

Steve mentioned that this was one of the hazards of doing a modern game. You can't predict how things will change in a short period of time.

True, this is going to be even more noticable when the humvee replacement comes in to service. This game unfortunately could look dated quite quickly.

BFC have other projects to do so constantly keeping the game up to date with new equipment is unlikely to be a priority.

What's the deal with the humvee replacement anyway, they want an up armoured, mine resistant troop carrier, isn't that the Stryker? Why a whole new design?

A long, long time ago, I mentioned sumfink about the importance of content for a "long term validity game" like CM:

"Locking" the scenario in 2007 simply won't fly. No matter how many times "2007" is written on thebox, the disc, the manual and in the game, people will look at it, and play it, as a "Present Day" game. And if the content begin to fall too far behind real life, interest in the game will decline.

It doesn't really matter how this "updated" content is provided: By BFC, 3rd party providers or as mods. And as large packs or individual items (through micro-payments). And it doesn't have to be free. In fact, it can be rather expensive as content packs go, and people will still buy it. But it has to be of the usual (high) BFC quality, and it has to be delivered in a "timely" (you figure out what that means) manner.

CMSF hasn't begun to "look old" yet. Far from it. Besides, sanding off the rough edges and curing the teething problems is still the No. 1 priority with CMx2.

But eventually it will begin to look old. I recently saw a documentary about Iraq that was about 3 years old. Everyone were wearing the "old-fashioned" 3-tone desert uniforms and the HMMWV's lacked the roof turret. It gave the whole thing an odd aura of a "blast form the past".

The ONLY valid reason for not adding content is money: Obviously, the income from such content must exceed the expense of making it. To expect otherwise would be unreasonable.

PS: All this could of course have been avoided by making a WW3 scenario as I suggested... :D

[ November 09, 2007, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: luderbamsen ]

Saves a lot of lives and limbs though, it seems, for all the expense and added weight although I'm sure there's a better way to do it. I've been doing heavy research on Ramadi for a scenario and these things seem to hold up to IEDs a hell of a lot better. Plus the troops have turned the turrets and doors from trashed vehicles into armoured embrasures for OPs that have saved a lot of sniper casualties.

The M1114s like the one in the picture M1A1 posted have the same engine as an unarmored M998 (the weapons carrier "turtle top" version)with a beefed up electrical system. They are re-builds of older HMMWVs. The M1151 series are factory uparmored and feature titanium armor to save weight and a more powerful engine and drive train.

• 4 months later...

At some point the designers will need to draw a line in the calender and make the game historically accurate up to that date, otherwise everytime something gets upgraded or new vehicles become operational players

are going to make demands like,

"BFC please update in-game models to show RL vehicles.

Isnt this game supposed to be realistic? Thanks"

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Isnt this game supposed to be realistic?

You mean it's not a realistic portrayal of the hypothetical Syrian-American War?

[ April 08, 2008, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: -E ]