Things I still miss from earlier CM Games

pad152

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Neepster:

The thing I miss is the weapon database. Clicking on an identified enemy vehicle and having the weapon and armor info there at the press of the enter key... Does CMSF have this and I am just missing it?

And of course kill stats at the end of the battle.

I remember BF saying it was "ugly" and not of much use.

I think a lot of people would say "I don't care if it's ugly" and "I disagree as to its lack of usefulness."

I have the impression that BF believes it can appeal to a wider audience if it eliminates the groggier elements in the game, or at least hides them from view. Seems unrealistic to me, but what do I know.

I wonder how many folks

a) play the game and

B) would be averse to having this data available?

SP:MBT might be a bit more mainstream than CM:SF (if only because it's free) and still provides plenty of semi-groggy info. I find that I ignore the data myself, but I would enjoy knowing that it was there in CM:SF.

Well, there was winSPMBT! Oh, man, was that a magical day.

Honestly, I tried WEGO in CM:SF last night and found that it felt less... enabling than WEGO in CMBO. Perhaps that's because the firepower scales are so different -- one minute in modern combat sees far more potential death and destruction at practically every level than a minute of WWII combat.

So... I kind of miss the "oooh... what's going to happen?" of WEGO from the earlier CM's. In RT the control is so fine-grained that there's much less suspense.

I do much better. I think that's because modern combat for me amounts to "find good positions, hose enemy, rinse, repeat".

As long as you get to the good positions first, and cover your approaches, you'll probably do fine. Note: I play almost entirely infantry-only battles.

I do a lot more maneuvering in WWII games, which I'm really bad at.

Originally posted by Lethaface:

Am i crazy or do all trees dissapear in CM:SF if I press Alt-T???

There seems to be some nice zoom/enlarge options too, as well as a wide view setting - if anyone hadn't noticed -

You are insane. Alt-T actually inserts a virus into your operating system that causes it to automatically order all the games in the BFC catalogue.

Actually I just noticed the Alt-T myself, so no you aren't crazy.

46. The ability to string together commands like "run and hide".

47. Unit info... stats and kills.

48. Wire. We used a lot of concertina wire when I was in.

49. Precalculated, on-call targets.

50. Detailed hits.

51. Water, bridges, etc.

Although I could think of more, there are probably even more things I love about CMSF.