Mortars??

From what I remember yes they were going to be included in CM:SF but they did not make it in.

*snip

Mortars were moved off map for various reasons

snip*

KwazyDog

However this was said also,

WW2 will pretty much require on-map mortars. At least 60mm type.

Steve

So it looks like we will see them at some point. Dunno if they will make it into CM:SF.

As being discussed in another thread, the AI also seems incapable of calling in artillery even when it has FOs and off-map mortars. Moving them off-map for "various reasons" is one thing but then making them effectively useless to the AI is quite another. Six months from release this should have been sorted out by now.

It seems mortars would be the only on-board non-LOS weapon in the game. Thats a LOT of specialized coding just to get a couple rounds to fall behind a building (which you'd expect to do). its not that they didn't want it, they obviously had a looooong to-do list. Something had to fall off the back of the truck. Off-map 60mm mortars are in there (and they're REALLY wimpy weapons in a fight too). smile.gif

I don't know if they ever planned to put Stryker 81mm mortar vehicles on the map. They'd never be purposefully deployed within LOS of an RPG-armed enemy, plus their 4-5000m range places them pretty well outside the scenario map's dimensions.

One consideration is if or when they get round to a British module, they'll need to do something about on-map mortars, as each platoon has one. It used to be the 51mm, which was ditched in favour of the 40mm underslung grenade launcher , which was found to lack a little, so they've got 60mm commando mortars in. I suppose that these could be used line of sight - as they frequently are - but their real utility is lobbing bomb blind over walls or ridges for smoke of HE. The odd mortar launched flare wouldn't go amiss now and again either.

Either way, I think it would be a cool thing to have for some scenarios. The only thing I didn't like about on map mortars in cm1 was that they could only fire at targets within their line of sight. My battalion had mortars (yes the wimpy 60mm ones) and their main purpose was to cover areas we couldn't see. So... I would love to have on-map mortars that would be able to shoot at any location on the map regardless of LOS.

Sure, 60mm mortars can shoot about 4 miles, but sometimes they need to hit closer targets. This is called "high angle hell".

• 2 weeks later...
One consideration is if or when they get round to a British module, they'll need to do something about on-map mortars, as each platoon has one. It used to be the 51mm, which was ditched in favour of the 40mm underslung grenade launcher , which was found to lack a little, so they've got 60mm commando mortars in.
Just been reading about the Paras on Afghanistan. They and the attatched Irish regiment were using 51mm mortars. Seems they were also using 81mm at very short ranges in defence of the platoon houses. The 81mm seemed to have a big impact on the tactical enagements.