Any chance for Air Assault in the future?

MikeyD,

But looked at the other way 9 years is almost exactly 3,300 days so that is only 1 a day, and how many of the 3,300 were to hostile ground fire as opposed to mechanical failure, collision or even destroyed on the ground.

Divide 3,300 in to 7 million hours and you get one lost every 2,000 flying hours. Working a 40 hr week with two weeks holiday you'd have a survival time of a year.

Peter.

Originally posted by abneo3sierra:

Sure, against a scattered insurgent force with few guided shoulder-launched SAMs. When your opponent has only AK-47s and RPG-7s to oppose you, Air Assault can make sense in certain situations.

But how many do you think would be planned in the "Hot" phase of a Syrian invasion? The Syrians have shoulder-launched SAMs coming out the yin-yang. True, many are older SA-7s and the like, but even these are effective enough against large, slow and low targets like a helicopter coming in for an insertion.

I can see the possibility of a large "air bridge"-type operation, where a signficiant ground force is vertically inserted somewhere deep inside Syria, but out of view of any Syrian forces. They did this in GWI, so I don't see why they couldn't in the CM:SF hypothetical. But hot insertions in the face of any significant ground opposition I find extremely unlikely. Even the venerable SA-7 has a range of over 3km against a target close to the ground. And the Syrians have a fair number of the much more capable SA-16 and the like.

Nevertheless, I'd love to see it in the game. But I can see how the additional amount of coding would be quite considerable -- you'd need to model all those shoulder-launched SAMs, for one thing. And they're not in the game at all at this point. And overall, there's a long list of other stuff I'd rather see first. On-map mortars, water, arty-delivered smoke, fortified buildings, bridges, etc. . .

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by abneo3sierra:

Sure, against a scattered insurgent force with few guided shoulder-launched SAMs. When your opponent has only AK-47s and RPG-7s to oppose you, Air Assault can make sense in certain situations.

But how many do you think would be planned in the "Hot" phase of a Syrian invasion? The Syrians have shoulder-launched SAMs coming out the yin-yang. True, many are older SA-7s and the like, but even these are effective enough against large, slow and low targets like a helicopter coming in for an insertion.

I can see the possibility of a large "air bridge"-type operation, where a signficiant ground force is vertically inserted somewhere deep inside Syria, but out of view of any Syrian forces. They did this in GWI, so I don't see why they couldn't in the CM:SF hypothetical. But hot insertions in the face of any significant ground opposition I find extremely unlikely. Even the venerable SA-7 has a range of over 3km against a target close to the ground. And the Syrians have a fair number of the much more capable SA-16 and the like.

Nevertheless, I'd love to see it in the game. But I can see how the additional amount of coding would be quite considerable -- you'd need to model all those shoulder-launched SAMs, for one thing. And they're not in the game at all at this point. And overall, there's a long list of other stuff I'd rather see first. On-map mortars, water, arty-delivered smoke, fortified buildings, bridges, etc. . .

Cheers,

YD </font>

True, I was not arguing the point with MikeyD, just clarifying. As I said above, I can understand. Main reason for the initial inquiry was working on a Iraqi scenario.

Sure but air assaults are totally different to the classic "static line" jump which is what I thought people were after with the request for a parachute "doo dad" to scatter about a drop zone.

And a C-17 flying low, straight and level would make an even better high value target for a volley of SA-7 (and all the other GBAD that's out there - SA-16, ZSU-23/4, etc.).

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Sure but air assaults are totally different to the classic "static line" jump which is what I thought people were after with the request for a parachute "doo dad" to scatter about a drop zone.

And a C-17 flying low, straight and level would make an even better high value target for a volley of SA-7 (and all the other GBAD that's out there - SA-16, ZSU-23/4, etc.).

Have you ever watched a jump? Not like..one C-130 or C-17..but like..a company or battalion all jumping at once?

It's awe-inspiring. It's better when you're amongst them..those 10 seconds from exit to chute deployment are amazing.

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gibsonm:

Have you ever watched a jump? Not like..one C-130 or C-17..but like..a company or battalion all jumping at once?

It's awe-inspiring. It's better when you're amongst them..those 10 seconds from exit to chute deployment are amazing. </font>Last jump I did before I got out was a night jump in a low ceiling; the planes were just barely inside the clouds at 800 feet, and when I landed (crashed) and looked up, all I could see was balls of roaring light moving through the clouds with parachutes falling from them.

Wish I had brought a camera.

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

It's awe-inspiring. It's better when you're amongst them..those 10 seconds from exit to chute deployment are amazing. </font>

Last jump I did before I got out was a night jump in a low ceiling; the planes were just barely inside the clouds at 800 feet, and when I landed (crashed) and looked up, all I could see was balls of roaring light moving through the clouds with parachutes falling from them.
Nothing like a night jump with full combat, mass tac.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

It's awe-inspiring. It's better when you're amongst them..those 10 seconds from exit to chute deployment are amazing. </font>

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

Of course being on the LZ looses all its appeal when the RTO's lowering line breaks and a ruck with SINCGARS and extra batteries and all his crap comes flying at your head!

I prefer sliding down a rope or even hanging under a chopper to leaping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Blasphemy!

Is Huntarr actually getting funnier or am I simply getting used to him? A couple times this week I laughed out loud (alone in my work cubicle) when I unexpectedly scrolled down to one of his cartoons. That's something when even a middle-aged civvie gets the punchline! :D :cool:

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Definitely a no-go on simulating the actual "dropping" part of airborne forces. Way too much effort needed to get those things to work. We're not even going to touch this with a 10' pole for WW2, just like we didn't for CMx1.

within the scope portrayed by CM, whether in a modern, ww2 or Vietnam game (hint, hint), troops can be already on the board at the beginning of the scenario, no need to show the actual landing...although it would be nice to see...