CM:SF worth buying now?

I bought the game when it first came out and almost completely gave up on it due to the same reasons you said you haven't bought it yet.

However, with the 1.06 (and upcoming 1.07) patch, the game is finally worth the money. Just be warned, modern combat is a totally different animal than World War II combat, so there will be an adjustment period where you may initially dislike the game.

I'm not sure what you mean about WeGo being fully implemented, but it is in there and works fine. WeGo still plays out in real-time, but it works basically the same way the old WeGo works (at least to me).

By not fully implemented I'm referring to threads on here mentioning WEGO crashing the game, not being implemented for TCP/IP play, and "just being RT with an enforced pause button", though I'm not sure whether that last part has any true negative impact on gameplay.

I do not trust demos, since buying 2 games after playing their demos, and realizing the games are in reality truly awful. Demos (obviously), highlight the best parts of the game while leaving out negative aspects. That's why I'm asking on the forums.

About the demo. I'm not sure they've got the latest-and-greatest demo uploaded yet. The CMSF product page has a 'New demo to come' line in there. CM demos are usually the opposite of your experiences. Some of them have been pale reflections of the real game. I recall the old CM:BB was notorious for its amazingly not-fun-ness compared to the full game! The new demo (if it ever shows up) is scheduled to have an entertaining new-design scenario to play.... eventually.

Madmonkey666, I can say that I would recommend buying the game for any fan of the cmx1 series. It really does work well now. Ofcourse any game has it quirks but right now I truly believe it's worth the money. There are also big plans for this game in the future, so your purchase will continue to evolve into something better and better all the time.

Originally posted by MadMonkey666:

By not fully implemented I'm referring to threads on here mentioning WEGO crashing the game, not being implemented for TCP/IP play, and "just being RT with an enforced pause button", though I'm not sure whether that last part has any true negative impact on gameplay.

I do not trust demos, since buying 2 games after playing their demos, and realizing the games are in reality truly awful. Demos (obviously), highlight the best parts of the game while leaving out negative aspects. That's why I'm asking on the forums.

The demo is a “full copy” of the game in terms of feature set, but limited in terms of number of scenarios etc.

The latest iteration of the demo should be out very soon (i.e a few days, not weeks away).

Certainly from a Beta test point of view WEGO isn’t broken (apart from the TCP/IP issue that I mentioned earlier and a minor graphics problem [damage created during the course of a turn is displayed at the start of the replay] and this is on the list to be looked at).

In any event I’d grab the 1.07 demo when it turns up and try it (all it costs is the price of the download).

I just read some more threads, and I am confused. The ability to pick your own force in QBs is disabled now? Is it going to be implemented again in future patches or not? Playing QB's with hand-picked forces was how I spent 95% of my time playing CMx1. I think I'll have to pass on SF if picking your own forces is not coming back, unfortunately.

Would be nice if someone in-the-know could confirm this.

Currently you can pick your own force within the structural limits of the correct ORBAT.

So you can select a Sryker Coy if you like (you can even select only say two platoons of the company and have some of the vehicles damaged or whatever) or some other real organisation.

What you can’t do is the old CMX1 “cherry pick” where you choose to have three of these and two of those (which may never have worked together) in order to be under some points budget.

Ok do not compare CMSF and CMx1 they are different now I won say that the QB is broke but at the moment is not the same as CMx1 but honnestly i don't think it will stay like this CMSF is evolving and i think they will add all those features in the future.

So thats menas by the moment that is no possible to pick the forces the way you do in CMx1, but i comes with some good missions to play with also personally i am having fun with TCP IP play there are some guys that created some maps and it is really fun.

Also this engine is an improve over CMx1 but most of it is underneat it when all the rest of the features that we are use to in CMx1 found its way to CMx2 this will become a great game.

Also all those thing won take long time i think.

CMx1 games definitely had a better QB system, but I agree that the pre-made battles are good enough to last a long time. Plus there are some really talented scenario designers out there who are continuously offering up new battles all the time at cmmods.

Just buy the game!! Judging by the distance the game has come so far, it is scary to imagine what it will be able to do down the road and in a more exciting theatre.

1.06 is almost there. If you play single player I'd even go as far as saying that its there. If you want to play against fellow gamers, then hold on for 1.07. WEGO PBEM does not work at the moment, I have been told that its fixed for 1.07 though. So fingers crossed.

MadMonkey:

-Playing QB's with hand-picked forces was how I spent 95% of my time playing CMx1. I think I'll have to pass on SF if picking your own forces is not coming back, unfortunately.-

Almost the same for me except that the rest of the time was spent in the scenario designer. However, the scenario editor in CMx2 is a much more capable feature than the old engine and since 1.04, I've been spending almost NO time playing QBs. There are some REALLY excellent scenarios available for downloading at the moment and they're just going to keep coming and coming now. It would be a real shame to miss out on them because of the reduced QB functionality.

Originally posted by GSX:

WEGO PBEM does not work at the moment, I have been told that its fixed for 1.07 though. So fingers crossed.

I'll just qualify that by saying there is a crash bug that can occur (and obviously spoil your game!) but it's not innevitable that it'll happen. I'm currently on turn 14 of the Al-Huqf(?) scenario in a PBEM game and have had no issues in 1.06.

I have been hit with the WEGO replay crash bug in SP games though, which can be very frustrating if you haven't saved in a while.

Back on topic though - CMSF at 1.06 is most definitely worth buying, 1.07 will tidy up the crash problem no doubt so go ahead and splash the cash!

"What about quick battles?"

The quality of QB play all depends on quality of the maps. Put your old CMSF QB maps on a CD, take the CD out back and set the CD on fire. There's lots of good QB maps on cmmods.com now and the v1.05 patch had vastly improved maps to play on (I assume now included on the purchase CD).

About QB gameplay vs CMx1. I really do miss cherry-picking troops to play with but what's a guy to do? I've come to rather like pitting Red Combatants against Red Combatants. Those battles aren't contests of gee-wiz technology. Use your imagination and they're Hezbollah versus Druz, or Sunni versus Kurds, or Texas militia groups versus Minuteman border partols! :D

Both versions have a form of copy protection, but the details are very different.

The BFC version uses eLicense, which allows you to download/install the game on as many computers as you want to but gives you 2 unique license codes. You must "activate" any given copy of the game with a license code before you can play it. Once activated, that copy of the game stays activated until you deactivate it. So you can have the game "active" on up to two computers at any given time. If you already have the game active on two machines, you have to "deregister" one copy before you can move that license over to the new machine.

The advantage of the eLicense system over the old "disk check" system used with CMx1 is that, once installed and licensed, you can play the game without inserting the CD-ROM into the drive.

There is an email address for support if you lose your code, have a hard drive crash, etc.

I only know about about Paradox's copy protection via hearsay, so I will let other comment on the specifics there.

FWIW, the eLicense system works pretty well for me and I have no complaints. I actually haven't bought CM:SF yet (holding out for the Mac Version), but I've used it for other software, and it has always worked fine for me. Then again, I only have two computers that I use regularly (work and home), so I have little need to have active copies of any software I own on more than two machines.

Cheers,

YD