Target armor only?

Target Light is the way to go if you do not want to engage with the heavy weapons of the unit. This means not using the 120mm cannon of an Abrams or not using the RPG-7s of a Rifle Squad.

Where things run into some problems is when a vehicle basically has three weapons systems, like a BMP-1. The way it works now is the TacAI considers the ATGM and main gun as being equally heavy, but will tend to favor the one that it thinks has the better chance of hitting something. One way to make the TacAI choose one or the other is to unbutton or button the BMP-1 since the ATGM can only be used unbuttoned. If the crew is unbuttoned it should use the ATGM if an armored target comes into view.

Steve

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

Mord:

"Also choice of using MG or main gun."

Isn't Target Light the command you can use if you want to use just MG of a tank?

Ahhh, I didn't know that. I'll use that next time. I am still playing the demo so I am slow in testing everything.

Mord.

Steve,

I hope you mean an AT-4 when referring to that ATGM, because the statement is incorrect when applied to a BMP still sporting any version of the AT-3. AT-3 armed BMPs can fire and guide their ATGMs while buttoned. The statement rattled me so badly that I dug out Isby's WEAPONS AND TACTICS OF THE SOVIET ARMY, at nearly 3 a.m. here, to check. Page 180, in the last paragraph under BMP-1, explains this. By contrast, the AT-4 armed BMPs have a firing post fitted, analogous to the early M-113/TOW units before the M901 Hammerhead came out. How hard would it be to add a Use ATGM Only command?

Regards,

John Kettler

[ August 26, 2007, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Target Light is the way to go if you do not want to engage with the heavy weapons of the unit. This means not using the 120mm cannon of an Abrams or not using the RPG-7s of a Rifle Squad.

Where things run into some problems is when a vehicle basically has three weapons systems, like a BMP-1. The way it works now is the TacAI considers the ATGM and main gun as being equally heavy, but will tend to favor the one that it thinks has the better chance of hitting something. One way to make the TacAI choose one or the other is to unbutton or button the BMP-1 since the ATGM can only be used unbuttoned. If the crew is unbuttoned it should use the ATGM if an armored target comes into view.

Steve

cannot do this for cover arc .... the cover armour option was a good one in CMAK ... dont want to let loose a round on infantry when armour around the corner and you are reloading when spotted.

i allready asked for;

-Target Arc

-Target Arc light

-Target Armor arc

-Target Armor arc light

as i said it would be ideal to be able to issue 2(two) target arcs at the same time into the same or fairly different directions. 1 "normal" and 1 "armor" if you wish. ovcourse you arent forced to use 2.

i dont know what downsides this would have. you could cover nearly every situation with this but noone was interessted or thought similar.

just one cover arc without any further specification is more than sub optimal.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Steve,

I hope you mean an AT-4 when referring to that ATGM, because the statement is incorrect when applied to a BMP still sporting any version of the AT-3. AT-3 armed BMPs can fire and guide their ATGMs while buttoned. The statement rattled me so badly that I dug out Isby's WEAPONS AND TACTICS OF THE SOVIET ARMY, at nearly 3 a.m. here, to check. Page 180, in the last paragraph under BMP-1, explains this. By contrast, the AT-4 armed BMPs have a firing post fitted, analogous to the early M-113/TOW units before the M901 Hammerhead came out.

I concur, though I refuse to admit that I still own a copy of the Isby "WATOTSA" as we all used to call it. smile.gif I'm not that sad...

now where is that book....

the light armor arc is intended to reduce ROF of ESPECIALLY infantry based AT weapons. so they wont get spotted @1000m letting of one ATGM after the other.

so...if they manage to stay hidden after the first shot this could count as a "free shot" since the TACai wont blast away and give away its position for sure with the 2nd rocket for example.

for tanks this could have use too...

Target Arc

infantry and vehicles use full force and are likely to use their main weapon on infantry if there is a mainweapon to use.

in case of sniper teams this would mean all mebers of the team are shooting, to counter a closeed in enemy for example.

Target Arc light

infantry just gives more aimed and less suppressive fire and vehicles genarelly dont tend to use their maingun to fire away on ifantry but use their MG´s.

in the case of the sniper teams, this would mean ONLY the sniper is allowed to shoot expect there is one of those life and death situations where TacAI come into play and the rest of the team open up on cluse enemys to prevent destruction of the unit.

Target Armor

infatry uses AT weapons with full force on enemy vehicles. vehicles the same.

Target Armor light

infantry shoots its AT assent with reduced ROF to keep hidden and conserve ammo.

vehicles most likely wont need this arc but you "could" rule by this if they use their ATGM´s or not. lets say "armor arc" let them use their ATGM´s as priority if there are some available and "armor arc light" forces em to use conventional ammonition.

and on top of that, you can do 1 armor and 1 normal at any given time to have propper control of things.

well, thats just an idea, it surely would need some tuning to fit with the TACai but i, again, cant imagine where this system is not superiour to the "one fits all" cover arc we have now.