Open letter to the moderator

Where should we be posting about our new scenarios/campaigns? In the scenario forum or in the main forum? I have seen moderators on other boards simply move threads that are created in one forum to the appropriate forum.

I'm not posting this because I'm angry or complaining but simply because there are probably quite a few of us who would like to have their scenarios discussed on the front page of the main forum as well.

thanks for your attention

It's a tough call sometimes. Things like "hey, this is cool" or "when I played x, y happened to me and I don't understand why", etc. should be done here. "Spoilier" warnings are the polite way to make sure people who haven't yet played the scenario don't accidentally see something they shouldn't.

The scenario forum should be reserved for discussing nuts and bolts of the scenario as a scenario. For example, "I just played x campaign and feel that Blue reinforcements came in too early in the 2nd battle" or "when playing x I found the Objective Picklebutt was impossible to take", etc.

In other words, feedback directed more at the game should go here, feedback directed more at the scenario/campaign itself should go in the scenario forum. And yes, threads can be redirected here.

That sound right?

Steve

I have seen a lot of mission designers posting "adds" of their stuff here in the main forum. I have done that myself.

Guys making MODs are doing this as well.

I think it's a good way to let people know what is being released.

More technical issues and feedback could then go the the design forum, like Steve said.

And even AARs.

I haven't been visiting the Scenario Design forum lately. Too busy. I went there now and found a great number of new missions being released!

-

Err, I guess it's still very late at night where you're posting from Steve. That might explain why you found my initial post a bit vague... :D

Where should we advertise our new scenarios/campaigns, the main forum or the scenario and design forum? If the scenario forum is not for posting about and discussing scenarios, both BFC and player-made, what is it for?

I guess if the moderators have no problem with us doing this then you're very quickly going to see a flurry of posters advertising their missions/campaigns here in the main forum.

webwing:

"I haven't been visiting the Scenario Design forum lately."

you must have been posting as I was writing. That's one of the reasons why I'm asking this question. How many people visit that forum regularly. If the moderators moved these posts from the main forum to the scenario forum perhaps more people would use it. I have zero objection to anyone posting in the main forum as long as I can do it myself.

Quite a long time ago, I do remember seeing someone who did this get as very sharp post from someone telling him to post it in the scenario forum and I have slavishly followed that advice since I read it. If I have the moderator's approval for doing this, I'll put it in my signature and post all further adds for my stuff here instead.

Since I blantantly advertise my scen on this forum perhaps I should chime in.

Here's my reasoning: To alert CM:SF Players of a Completed Scen. This means something that has been play tested from both sides (if applicable) and been checked for map design error and other glitches. I consider my offerings as completed projects.

The design forum is for discussion and advice on making a scen. It's a great place to learn the how to's but not so good when letting people know there's a new scen available.

Well, it seems that others have started posting about their scenarios in the main forum already.

When I read Steve's post above, I interpret that to mean that you can advertise in the main forum but shouldn't really discuss the scenario here but in the scenario forum. Okay... but most people will post their feedback and discuss the scenario in the original thread posted on the main forum which is natural.

At the moment, most people are posting their projects in the scenario forum. So what's the rule? Given that people are going to post their feedback in the original ad, where should we post our ads for new scenarios, in the main forum or the scenario forum?

I have also posted in both. I personally like to see anouncements for new scenarios in the main forum, but also agree that talking about them in detail should stay in the scenario forum.

If people want to download new scenarios and campaigns, they should take the two seconds required to actually look in the scenarios forum.

I always peruse the scenario forum, but the best way to look is to just go to cmmods. There I can tell what I have and don't have.

The points about the scen forum are all well and good. Dedicated forum members, like all of us, will know that. The more casual forum visitor will not know that, may never have heard of www.CMMODS and may have no clue about user created scen.

What might be nice would be a dedicated sticky announcement for ALL new scen. That would make it much easier for the new players to see what's going on

[ May 12, 2008, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: MarkEzra ]

I have to confess that I'm a little surprised at how long it's taking BFC to decide what their policy is on this matter. It's so obvious what's going to happen if they allow it.

The reason most of us are posting in the scenario forum and not in the main forum is not due to modesty or a lack of confidence in our abilities. Rather it's because it seems to be the obvious place for such announcements and discussions. If this is acceptable to BFC, I for one, will be posting in the main forum almost exclusively from now on as I don't see the point in doing so in a forum that very few people visit. Instead, it can be reserved for 'How do I do this in the scenario editor?' posts.

As it happens, I visit the scenario forum every time I visit these forums and occassionally spend more time there than in the main forum.

Paper Tiger, in case you missed it, we're about to move to completely new servers and webpage (and a completely new forum). All website work has been focussing on this alone for the past few months to complete it in time (within the next 4-8 weeks). This is not about deciding on a policy, but simply to finish the move to our new home. Only then will it make sense to talk about what forum to use for what.

Martin

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

I'm not posting this because I'm angry or complaining but simply because there are probably quite a few of us who would like to have their scenarios discussed on the front page of the main forum as well.

Paper Tiger,

Just wanted to write that I (as an "outsider") see matters like you do, meaning that I think that the "New Scenario!!!" is out of place here at the main forum, and, in essence, every post of this kind is an actual loss for the scenario forum.

I faintly remember that when this habit started, I found it a little bit "imposing" that some designers put their ads on the front page, while others stuck to the scenario forum.

In short, I agree that some official policy should be enforced. To give more weight to the scenario forum, I would suggest, at least, to move all new scenario posts over to the scenario forum once they drop to page 2 in the main forum. They should not get lost there!

Best regards,

Thomm

personally i dont care either way, the two scenarios i released i posted in the scenario design forums as i thought thats the place for scenarios.

i think one good solution could be to make a stickied post here in the main part and the first post would be just a list with scenarios sorted simply into BLUE on RED/RED on RED/BLUE on BLUE.

so every designer just posts in there when something is done and the person wich can edit the thread would need to look up the new stuff and add it to the list maybe once in a week at least.

the scenario designer could already post the release thread link to his massage and it simply takes you into the scenario design forums, into the right thread, without the hassle to look around for stuff.

so oyu have a combined list of the scenarios with a link for every scenario, into the release thread to see if you really like it, where to download, and everything else.

the main forums would stay clear and no thread gets lost as you have the link list to every therad in the scenario designs forums at all time there to look it up.

problem, it need someone with the motivation to do that... :D

Moon

yes, I'd missed that. That's good news. So I'll wait until you finish the move and you can tell us all what your policy is.

The reason I ask is very simple. It's very obvious that if we all start posting our announcements in the main forum, they'll very quickly fill up the first page. Then the announcement will either be missed 'cos it's on page 2 or 3 OR someone will bump their thread back to page 1 and thus knock somebody elses off the first page.

I have no desire to add to that particular mess. Yes, I'd love it if one of my scenarios proved popular enough to keep a thread going on the first page of the main forum but, as I do Red on Red, that's not likely to happen:D . So for now, I'll stick to making my announcements in the scenario forum where they'll stay on the first page without me having to bump them.

Now we can just let this post sink off the front page into oblivion...

The new main portal/site will eventually include a full featured mod and scenario repository, which should eliminate most of these problems. It won't be available from the start, but we plan on making it a permenant part of the main community site.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

The new main portal/site will eventually include a full featured mod and scenario repository, which should eliminate most of these problems. It won't be available from the start, but we plan on making it a permenant part of the main community site.

Martin

Hey! Good news.