Wild third game speculation. Space Lobsters!

Sequoia

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean F.: As I see in your profile, you are German too. Did you play BattleTech in the MechForce or NiceDice? I played with my chapter in NiceDice.

BattleTech brings back some memories, you know...

By the way, another thing that's quite strange in Battletech is the small range of the missiles and heavy autocannons.

I was interested in StarWars when I was young, StarTrek was never my cup of tea.

Originally posted by dan/california:

If they were going to do a Sci- Fi game I would like to see them do ship to ship combat in the Honor Harrington Universe.

That has needed a good computer game treatment for a long time. And there is built in fan base. It would require a whole new engine obviously. That odd cracking sound is Charles's jar exploding. tongue.gif

I second that. Enough tactical/strategic goodies to make a really entertaining game, if done correctly.

And I need my Honor fix too :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by FAI:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dan/california:

If they were going to do a Sci- Fi game I would like to see them do ship to ship combat in the Honor Harrington Universe.

That has needed a good computer game treatment for a long time. And there is built in fan base. It would require a whole new engine obviously. That odd cracking sound is Charles's jar exploding. tongue.gif

I second that. Enough tactical/strategic goodies to make a really entertaining game, if done correctly.

And I need my Honor fix too :mad: :mad: </font>

Trying to read the Battlefront team's minds, if they do a Sci-Fiction game, and it's still a big if , it would have to remain squad based rather then man to man, as I suppose the modifications necessary to the engine would be quite extensive to change it to man to man.

As such, and given their propensity to "keep it real" possibly even in a sci fi setting I feel they would chose not to do something in the far future but rather something in, say, 2050. They would extrapolate current trends and perhaps create a battlefield where much of the frontline fighting is done by remote control vehicles and robots. Now when I say robot, I don't mean something like in the movie "I, Robot" but something that looks more like the Mars-lander. It would have a low profile and run around on six wheels with cameras for it's operator and a weapon or two. Humans would be in reserve. Perhaps electronic counter measures would require the vehicle and robots to be wire controlled by their operators, meaning the humans wouldn't be too far behind the front.

Any way that's one such extrapolation of current trends. I'm sure others can think of more.

• 3 weeks later...

40k is out of the question. Activision won't give up the license any time soon. I don't know if they locked up space hulk, but they did stop a remake of it.

Even though I think an actual tactical 40k game would be awesome. DoW is cool...but....

What about Stargate? That pits US military vs all kinds of Sci-Fi goodness. Someone has a license for a MMO (looked ok), don't know if they have exclusive rights to the license tho.

Woops, sorry, that's a little confusing. I'm American, in the military, stationed in Kaiserslautern.

Also, sorry to revive the post so late, but I wanted to answer.

No problem, thanks for your answer anyway.

As I read in your profile, you are a surgeon.

Do you know perhaps the program "Interactive Trauma Trainer"? Here is some information about it

http://www.trusim.com/

I am studiying medicine and I read about this program that it is used by british army surgeons.

I asked the company if I can purchase it as a civilian but they didn't answer me.

Have you heard about it?

Greetings,

Garm

Nope - can it - look at all of the whingeing that's going on because CMSF isn't WW2 for starters. Also add the 'Syria doesn't work for me' stuff and I think that pretty much seals it. As someone else said - you would then get the 'serious' sci fi nuts (its made up ffs) and then I'd lose the will to live to be honest.

I'd love to see them work on this game more - better Uncon modelling, a better AI and more terrain objects for starters. Think about it - how many modern period wargames are out there right now? This for me is the best one going for what it does. Its good now in terms of conventional stuff apart from the fact that we only have a limited pool of equipment to work with. Get the Uncon stuff right and then we're cooking on gas.

Originally posted by Combatintman:

Nope - can it - look at all of the whingeing that's going on because CMSF isn't WW2 for starters. Also add the 'Syria doesn't work for me' stuff and I think that pretty much seals it. As someone else said - you would then get the 'serious' sci fi nuts (its made up ffs) and then I'd lose the will to live to be honest.

I'd love to see them work on this game more - better Uncon modelling, a better AI and more terrain objects for starters. Think about it - how many modern period wargames are out there right now? This for me is the best one going for what it does. Its good now in terms of conventional stuff apart from the fact that we only have a limited pool of equipment to work with. Get the Uncon stuff right and then we're cooking on gas.

I agree, I hope they continue working on CMSF even after the WWII game comes out with at least the British Module and I hope we'll see some more U.S. vehicles then just LAV's and AAV's in the USMC module. But Steve once said they only plan for two of the first five games to be WWII, hence my "wild speculation" as to what the third game (i.e the one after France '44) will be.

I think one of the keys is how much BFC enjoyed writing a storyline for their game. If they really enjoyed the process I imagine they will do their own.

Even if they didn't enjoy it they seem to enjoy their independence too much to worry about getting a license arrangement. I highly doubt that we will be seeing CM: A sci-fi title you recognize. Perhaps they would sign a writer from a recognized title to perhaps try and draw in fans and have him do an original work, but that is the only way I see.

Dorosh wrote

deliberate attempt to attract a broader consumer base with the admitted sacrifice of existing customers,

Combat wrote

I'd love to see them work on this game more - better Uncon modelling, a better AI and more terrain objects for starters.

I think Dorosh is misinterpreting their argument and Combat their direction. BFC does not think their is enough money in making one game for the same genre of gamers over and over, even if they "perfect" it. As they said they did not expect modern to sell better than WWII, but that they were losing sales with each successive title of WWII and it was a deathtrap. They aren't trying to make five titles that everyone will love, but five titles that can draw in different people to keep their business alive.

As I read in your profile, you are a surgeon.

Do you know perhaps the program "Interactive Trauma Trainer"? Here is some information about it

http://www.trusim.com/

I had heard about this simulator (or another very like it) while I was in residency, but I never knew it's name. I had even heard that the British Army was using it. (The facial expressions are impressive.) I've never used it, though. I'd be surprised if it was affordable for an individual to purchase.

I assume that it is mostly a simulation of what happens in an ER trauma bay, rather than what happens in an OR. Thus, my interest is limited. I'm the guy that the first responders are trying to get the casualty to, with all those stopgap maneuvers, like the Foley catheter placed through the bleeding chest wound maneuver as seen in the demo clip on the website. (Subclavian vessel injuries ARE a bitch to control, by the way. I've never seen the Foley trick work.)

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Ya, I vote for High Camp Sci-fi.

You don't need an engine this good for camp. Use something like the Warcraft engine.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

WH40k has the scope to be sci fi or space opera

No matter how you tweak things it is still orcs and elves and guys with chainsaws and force swords and gimmicks like mole mortars, not to mention glorified M113s as the basic APC (i.e. no really visionary technology, so you may as well just make it WWII). The whole good-vs-evil motif may be very well done, but it is space opera, plain and simple. Thus it also does not need an engine this good. Use the Warcraft engine and stick to units with "health bars."

Again, though, I vote for sticking to historical settings. WWII is pretty much perfect for such a game-- all sides have approximately equal technology and skill, or at least they have complimentary advantages, and it is an excellent mix of all arms (infantry, armor, artillery, etc) that operate at reasonable ranges. About the only problem with a WWII setting is that it has been done to death.

[ March 21, 2008, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Dean F. ]

No matter how you tweak things it is still orcs and elves and guys with chainsaws and force swords and gimmicks like mole mortars, not to mention glorified M113s as the basic APC (i.e. no really visionary technology, so you may as well just make it WWII). The whole good-vs-evil motif may be very well done, but it is space opera, plain and simple.
Orcs and Eldar are just 2 armies. There are many more. Hell, a IG/SM vs Chaos would be a good game. Could do additional armies as modules or expasions ala Dow

Thus it also does not need an engine this good. Use the Warcraft engine and stick to units with "health bars."

I am surprised to hear you say this, only because it sounds like you have played the Table top. 40k already has a RTS engine...Dawn of War. It plays nothing like the TT.

I've always maintained that they need a wargame engine to properly portray the table top. It needs a better engine than CM:SF. Although its close. If you look at the CM:SF game, and re-skin the US side to IG, Abrams to Leman Russes, Grunts to Guard, and Strykers to Chimera's and Hellhounds...you've got a TT version of a 2000-3000 point Guard army. Guarentee you if you did that, you'll see that this engine plays close to what the TT is supposed to represent. Especially once you compare it to DoW.

Originally posted by OG_Gleep:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />No matter how you tweak things it is still orcs and elves and guys with chainsaws and force swords and gimmicks like mole mortars, not to mention glorified M113s as the basic APC (i.e. no really visionary technology, so you may as well just make it WWII). The whole good-vs-evil motif may be very well done, but it is space opera, plain and simple.

Orcs and Eldar are just 2 armies. There are many more. Hell, a IG/SM vs Chaos would be a good game. Could do additional armies as modules or expasions ala Dow

Thus it also does not need an engine this good. Use the Warcraft engine and stick to units with "health bars."

I am surprised to hear you say this, only because it sounds like you have played the Table top. 40k already has a RTS engine...Dawn of War. It plays nothing like the TT.

I've always maintained that they need a wargame engine to properly portray the table top. It needs a better engine than CM:SF. Although its close. If you look at the CM:SF game, and re-skin the US side to IG, Abrams to Leman Russes, Grunts to Guard, and Strykers to Chimera's and Hellhounds...you've got a TT version of a 2000-3000 point Guard army. Guarentee you if you did that, you'll see that this engine plays close to what the TT is supposed to represent. Especially once you compare it to DoW. </font>

Hehe as I mentioned, I own em all. Final Liberation and Rites of War were both basically sci-fi wargames. Final Liberation was a great game, but as mentioned it was based on Epic and not 40k. 40k is far more detailed, but games based on 40k have either been a squad based tactical games (chaos gate..which I loved), Wargame Lite (Rites of War), or a RTS with 40k skins (Dawn of War...also loved this one).

If you re-skinned CM, with 40k it would have a better feel then any of the ones mentioned before. If you read one of the narritve battle reports you'll have a good idea of what all those dice rolls, the Predator blowing up from a rear shot from a rokket buggy, the cover save the guardsmen get from being in a building etc. actually is suppposed to represent.

The fancy new systems allows for someone to create a game that animates the narritive for us. Something that wasn't possible when Final Libertion and Chaos Gate was made.

Imagine if the guys who made Silent Storm did a remake of Chaos gate. Thats basically my point with CM:SF...seeing 40k when i load up the game. would be awesome.

Also not going to happen so I'll leave it at that.