Street Sweepers - it's just too much

So this game was advertised as a company level simulation, and I can understand why - especially in realtime, even pausible, things can become pretty hectic.

So I wonder why this 2 hour beast was included as part of the campaign - Street Sweepers, where I have to control an entire stryker battalion, plus a scout company, plus supporting elements, all coming in at different angles in an urban environment.

It's just too much! It doesn't bother me except that it's part of the campaign, and I have to get through it in order to finish. I've had a couple of tries at it, and for me it's absolutely hopeless - I can't watch more than a single platoon at once, especially considering that everything is spread throughout the entire map. It just seems a bit unrealistic when the majority of my units are sitting around waiting for orders while I babysit one platoon at a time.

I'm sure it's a great scenario, but unfortunately I think it's going to be my stopping point in the campaign. Don't think I'll be able to get through this one.

Agree, it's huge way to many units. You hear shooting/explosions and quickly scan the map trying to see what's going on. WeGo is the only way to play this one. I also gave up 45 minutes into the 2 hour scenario. Every other scenario I was able to get through in RT without to much sitting around. Usually I would focus on one flank then the other. Against a human that most likely would work but against the AI it really isn't a problem.

I must say I'm suprised I like RT better. For me the trade off between the speed of RT play verus "real world" tactics is worth it. Taking 4-5 hours to play a 1 hour scenario your going to win anyway what's the point. Playing RT you can play 2-3 scenarios in that same 4-5 hour window.

Here's a thought...give the squads/platoons general orders and let them go for it. Ensure you're zoomed-out enough to take in the entire battlefield and intervene when you think you need to.

Two hours is plenty of tiume if you have a basic plan in mind and have initial moves plotted. Remember to support your movement with the Strykers and be methodical.

Originally posted by TheNathan:

You know, unless you are playing at elite level, there is a pause key (ESC) which you can use to get a grip on things.

Pause/save, I know. Have you guys actually played the scenario? I literally have to pause about every 10 seconds to check on units, unless the vast majority are just sitting still.

I suppose my point was that the scale of it is just a bit much, given the game's feature set. That's all. My savegame is about 20 minutes into it, I'm sure I could eventually clear it, but I'd rather just spend my limited gaming time playing scenarios that are appropriate in scale.

Hi All,

Being able to pause to give orders is great. However you cannot review what has happened on the battlefield. You can use wego, and that would be my recommendation. I have tested some scenarios and I do not see that the A.I. acts any differently from RT to Wego.

I like RT and wego for small battles. I also prefer smaller battles anyway so this is not much of an issue to me.

However when playing TCP there is no pause in RT and Wego is not avaiable in TCP play.

I would like to see the following.

A choice of time compression for RT. Slower/Faster.

Wego for TCP play and a duration of 30 second "moves" possible in addition to 60 seconds.

Mind you I really like the game and find it quite fascinating.

Regards John

Try sitting in a TF or higher TOC sometime trying to track what's going on, especially while moving. It's gotten a bit easier since the digital age, but it still is a bear.

I think this scenario is a perfect representation of that, although I do agree it to be a click fest if trying to do it live.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Is this "Hims Homes"? or a later/different scenario?

Does anybody know how many missions the campaign has?

Best regards,

Thomm

Hims Homes is the second to last scenario. I found out that Street Sweepers was actually the last scenario - I cease-fire'd after 20 minutes in and it gave me the campaign debrief.