Chance Encounter now at CMMODS

"Towards the end of the war, as the Red front lines crumbled..."

Based on the CMBO orginal. The basic Map was Done by Serg and further developed by MarkEzra. Thanks to aka_Tom_W and Max Molinaro (RhurRiver) for their efforts.

Features 5 Plans with multiple group orders per side. Play Blue (best) or Red (easier), single or 2 player.

Get it here: www.CMMODS.com

Lots of folks had a hand in it

Thanks to Mark for polishing off to make it presentable....

Hopefully when v1.05 comes out it will be even more fun to play.

When I was fiddling with it my intention was to specifically test arty and air support because it was new to the beta test build I was testing at the time, but that is ancient history now.

I hope it provides a REAL challenge to the US player in Real Time the first time you have a go at it.

smile.gif

Note it was never really intended to be a challenge for the Red side. I have not played it since Mark has released it, but it should be a total cake walk for the Red side, unless it has been substantially edited. It should present a real Challenge for the US player in Real Time however. smile.gif

Thanks again to Mark Ezra for making it now publically available and posting it at cmmods.com.

1st try: minor victory (veteran)

2nd try: total victory (veteran) although I made stuuupid mistakes and lost all MGSs!!

Worst moment: trying to sneak a MGS around the woods to shoot-and-scoot at the tanks, only to discover that there was a victory location there swarming with enemy soldiers ... BLAM! Good scripting there!

Best regards,

Thomm

Great screen shots!

Thanks Max for your work on the scenario as well.

Sergei offered up the map and I expanded it by making it larger on all four sides, and did some preliminary work with the units selection and AI scripting plans, then Mark and Max worked on it some more to polish and finish for general release. smile.gif

(I've had a lot of fun fiddling with and testing the game engine with it)

Enjoy.

I won my first WEGO as Blue only failed on friendly casualties...

playing my second I set up the same and attacked the same...but the damned AI didn't...came at me from a completely different axis of attack. I won't go into details. Suffice to say I suddenly got VERY tired...rather than save the game...blah, blah blah...and to think I designed the AI pathing...LOL

It really does bring back memories of CMBO beta and the many..many...many Battles I PBEM'd with Max...And here it is again: all at once an old friend yet totally new and exciting.

Third try: Total victory (veteran)

Lost only one MGS and 7 KIA (16 WIA).

Very nice scenario, as proven by the fact that I played it three times already! The fact that there are only 3 Javelins around really makes a difference. In this game I got the last tank with a 40mm Stryker from behind. At that moment, I tried to throw everything I had onto it, MGSs, AT-4s, rocks, ... lots of suspense!

Best regards,

Thomm

You're all right. I only described the pics above as "pics," but when aka_tom_w called them "screen shots" in his kind remarks, he was sort of right.

They are actually screen shots--with no elements added or deleted except for deleting game lettering ("paused" etc.), the cursor, and the compass.

However, a number of whole or partial pic attributes were altered in PhotoshopPro, including contrast, brightness, sharpness, and saturation. At least on my computer and monitor, most screen shots look a bit low contrast, a bit dark, a bit washed out, and the biggest hit against realism (or drama): lack of light/dark variation. I find that using a "darken" tool selectively over expanses of wall or grass makes things look a lot better--to me, of course.

I also almost always use some level of the game's zoom-in.

Here are a couple more screen shots with some (but very little) attribute alteration from a game with Mark (his missles, my unfortunate Bradley). In both cases the missles are *not* pasted in., I just kept rerunning the movie and hitting "PrtScn" (print screen) until I caught the missle at the point I wanted it. Love those missle animations--whoever worked on those did a great job.

--Max (RuhrRiver)

2940965620100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

2235824390100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow! And Ouch! All my vehicles destroyed within minutes (RT Elite). Realising I was a dead dude, I opted to just watch the remainder of the battle unfold. Fantastic to watch the Syrian infantry manouevring into position, highly mobile, with purpose and intention, using the terrain like pros, tanks on overwatch. Really impressive.

I'll be going back in soon.

Which CMBO battle is it a recreation of (long time since I played)? And why haven't you posted this in the Scenarios forum?

Superb pics, btw. The missile shots particularly highlight graphical subtleties that are easily missed in-game.

[ November 01, 2007, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

"Which CMBO battle is it a recreation of (long time since I played)? And why haven't you posted this in the Scenarios forum?"

OK

smile.gif

we just never thought of it I guess

smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestion

Since it was sort of a scenario by committee none of us really had time to post it to the Scenario's forum.

(to be honest I totally forgot there was a scenario's forum) :eek:

Originally posted by Flanker15:

Nice work mate. Is Last Defense the map with the bunker on the hill, allies attack? That was my favorite from the demo.

This map makes me wish CMSF had fire because I used to set the enemy's forest area ablaze at the start to make it tricky for them!

No sir: Last defense: a lone rifle company is attacked by mech armor force...but are save by the timely Hell cat re-inforcement

Handioc: Why this was not posted on the scen forum is all on me. Normally I would post a new scen notice on the scen forum and NOT the general forum. Since Chance Encounter has it's own unique history I wanted to make sure that casual forum readers would see the notice and perhaps remember the scen from the past. Since it's posted here I felt another post on the scen forum would not be right. When QBG was putting up all the QB maps and 2P PBEM scen I used this forum to announce. Again due to the unique circumstance of those particular products. My last scen, Viper Pass, was only posted on the Scen Forum. No offense intended to my scen design brothers and sisters.

This was quite interesting experience. I played the original CMBO version in my slow PC of that time many times with good performance. This CMSF version was a slide show: mouse pointer moving only sometimes, keyboard missing most key presses, display updating once every 5-10 seconds. Couldn't play at all. Even quitting the scenario took more than 2 minutes before the game recognized my keypress.

No idea what caused this, but one thing I noticed was that trees were being redrawn continuously even though I didn't do anything. While in setup I just waited for the map redrawing to finish, but it first showed trees in one way, then erased those and displayed trees in another way.

The map didn't look that big and I don't think there should be so many units either. But a very good scenario for analysing performance problems I think.

Did some more testing with this and noticed that this terrible performance happens when playing using Elite level. Fraps showed 0 fps most of the time. If I choose Veteran, then performance is normal - very playable. Fraps showed >30 fps in some places. Very strange.... I played the blue side against the AI, realtime mode.

[ November 02, 2007, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: SlowMotion ]

I had no idea there is any difference in settings as far as performance. The trees are a big hit and I thin them out in lines to reduce the problems. I just finished an intense ambush gone bad in the woods. To really see the action I alt T the trees. I do wish that the tree trunks remained so you could still have an idea of where they are (LOS/LOF)

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I had no idea there is any difference in settings as far as performance.

I didn't know about this before this scenario either. It looked like my PC had become more than 10 times slower.

The trees are a big hit and I thin them out in lines to reduce the problems. I just finished an intense ambush gone bad in the woods. To really see the action I alt T the trees. I do wish that the tree trunks remained so you could still have an idea of where they are (LOS/LOF)
Yes, in CMx1 we had those tree bases so that you always knew where trees would be even when trees were not drawn. Now that trees can be anywhere I wish there was something to show where a tree is, just faster to render. Maybe like this that you suggest.

Thanks a lot! That's the scenario that made me purchase CMBO. As great as the original, but more challenging .

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

This CMSF version was a slide show: mouse pointer moving only sometimes, keyboard missing most key presses, display updating once every 5-10 seconds. Couldn't play at all. Even quitting the scenario took more than 2 minutes before the game recognized my keypress.

The same here. Great scenario but I also have a problem to play the scenario on Elite Mode/Real Time. Since I got CMFS this is the first scenario that I am unable to play because of the slow frame rate and other problems described by SlowMotion. It is quite strange because I have no problem playing bigger scenarios with more units and vehicles while the Virtual Synchro is On , 3D Model and 3D Texture Quality both set on Better. After I set the Virtual Synchro Off , the 3D Model and 3D Texture Quality on Balanced , "Chance Encounter" still runs slowly. Even before the scenario starts I encounter a problem: when the briefing screen opens, for a few seconds my mouse pointer can't move. Quitting the scenario does not take more than 2 minutes but it takes much more time than other scenarios.

No problems when I play the scenario on Real time/Veteran mode with Virtual Synchro On , 3D Model and 3D Texture Quality on Better.

AMD Athalon 64 3500, GeForce 7600 GT, 2GB RAM

Glad to hear that "Last Defense" is under construction. "Valley of Trouble" next maybe ?

Khane

[ November 03, 2007, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Khane ]

Khane: my rig is similar...7300 GS..Haven't tried it in Elite but will give it a go and report here.

Valley of Trouble...I hope somebody else does it...Hey...how about you!?

Adam1: Thank you...

Slow: Trees: I love the 1x1 trees. In the short run I do think it will be up to scen designers to more adequately show where trees are when alt T used. Perhaps by using only tall grass where each tree is would work. I'm working on the concept for Last Defense. If it seems to help I'll redraw Chance.

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

Valley of Trouble...I hope somebody else does it...Hey...how about you!?

Good idea but apart playing around a little bit with the CMx1 missions' editor I never designed a single map or scenario and except for 2 small LOS/LOF tests I nevertried the CMSF missions builder. I would love to design a CMFS "Valley of Trouble" but considering the time I spend on gaming (a relatively small part of my free time) it will take me quite a long time until I learn the mission builder and be able to design a decent scenario, so I am counting on somebody else to do this job.

Elite mode verrrry slowwwwww and cho-p-p-y when tre-e-e-e-e-s are pr-es-ent. Veteran works fine....
Thank you for the report. I play and enjoy the scenario on Veteran mode

Khane