Best WWII TV documentary?

Originally posted by the Fighting Seabee:

My favorite was ww2 in color. It was made with all color footage. The best episode was about gun camera footage from p-47's strafing targets. The damage that 8 .50 cals can do is awesome.

Is that the one were they are straffing the horse and carts? I watched it recently at Liveleak.com do a search for 'gun camera'.

I liked "Dan and Peter Snow: 20th Century Battlefields" for it's coverage of some relatively recent conflicts, including some clever use of 3D graphics.

However, I too would have to say "The World at War" is the greatest war documentary series ever made. Sir Laurence Olivier's stirring narration clinches it for me.

After his epic "The Civil War" ,the Ken Burns recent WWII PBS series "The War" was a flop. You got the feeling the only people fighting in WWII were fresh-faced corn-fed American kids. Too 'Norman Rockwell" for my tastes, too history-as-personal-narrative.

'World at War' may be pretty long in the tooth by now but you got the sense of the domino-fall of historic events. Definitely a must-see if you've never seen it before.

> Ken Burns recent WWII PBS series "The War" was a flop.

From what I read it had a very high viewership. But I didn't watch most of it. I was turned off when one of the people who worked on it said something which I interpreted as "other documentaries are crap since they don't focus enough on the human element but instead on strategy and tactics, events and places". (that is what I took from the comments mind you, and I can be prickly)