Remunitioning for grunts/AFVs and cross decking ammo for AFVs

I know from this

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=000944#000015

that "ammo leveling" is in for infantry, but what I'd like to know are several other things.

Will ammo be resupplyable in game for infantry?

Will ammo be resupplyable for AFVs?

Will AFVs be able to "ammo level" as infantry does?

The inability to resupply ammo during the battle has been a headache since CM first appeared. I vividly recall how frustrated I was when as the Americans in that CMBO scenario with Hellcats, I got infantry reinforcements who were powerless to pass so much as a clip to all their Ammo Low colleagues.

Regards,

John Kettler

Isn't vehicle resupply beyond the scope of the fighting represented in CMSF?

I mean in most situations the vehicles go back to a supply point to resupply/refuel, or the supplies come forward after the area is securred for the most part.

I thought CMSF is a tactical simulation, not a logistical one.

Just my 2 cents.

My unit just had a resupply under fire situation. Some of our folks were at a remote Joint Security Station when it came under intense small arms and RPG fire. So much ammo was expended by our guys that they had to slingloadin an ammo trailer from a CH 47! It finally took a few Hellfires from a pair of Apaches to dislodge the insurgents from the building they holed up in. Even then some of their comrades took up hiding in a nearby house with a family in it. Our guys had to go in and extract them, on foot because we weren't going to fire missles at women and children.

Glad to hear we can resupply the troops from the strykers. Should help during intense fire fights. smile.gif

The lives of our troops should never be needlessly risked when fighting these dirtbag terrorists. If they are such pathetic cowards that they hide behind women and refuse to allow them to leave the building so the fight can continue, then it's on *their* heads. Take the terrorists down and bring all of our guys back, the lives of our men should come first.

They did the exact same sort of thing in Somalia. Those low life somalis would sometimes come out in the street firing an AK-47 at our soldiers while literally holding a woman in front of them as they moved and shot at our soldiers. Our soldiers did what they had to, they took out the gunman and, unfortunately, the woman, too, since she was directly in the line of fire. A very sad situation, but it's the somali gunmen who were to blame for that, they were the ones acting dishonorably.

Our soldiers didn't say, "Wait, don't shoot! We'll just have to run up towards them and hope we don't get shot as we try to get a super close range clean flank shot on the gunman. Or we'll have to try to kill him with a knife in hand-to-hand while he's shooting at us.". No, they did what they had to to eliminate the bad guy without putting any of their own soldiers needlessly in danger. Those soldiers acted completely properly in that situation, it wasn't their fault they were fighting the kind of scum that would stoop to such a low thing. This should be standard operating procedure in Afghanistan and Iraq, as it was in Somalia.

The lives of our troops should never be needlessly risked when fighting these dirtbag terrorists. If they are such pathetic cowards that they hide behind women and refuse to allow them to leave the building so the fight can continue, then it's on *their* heads. Take the terrorists down and bring all of our guys back, the lives of our men should come first.
Unfortunately this really doesn't go down to well with the locals when it comes to all that hearts and minds stuff...

Splinty, how long was the engagement before resupply arrived?

I'm not saying resupply in a fire fight is not impossible, but it is not common unless absolutely nessesary to accomplish the mission.

I was infantry in my prime, so I know grunts are easy to rearm. What about tanks, AFV's and such. How tough is it to reload those while under fire?

Also, think of the difficulty in coding for resupply in game like this. Yikes. I mean, you'd have to code for the vehicles and the different make of soldiers found in HHC and BN S4.

The fight went on for at least 4 hours before things calmed down enough for the resupply. The main reason it was done by air was because the streets surrounding the JSS all had multiple IEDs places on them to prevent help from arriving. Throughout most of the firefight a platoon of Bradleys and one of tanks was trying to find a way in, but couldn't. I was on the releif force that went in 5 days later and we didn't go until a Route clearence team swept the area ahead of us. Fortunately there were no U.S. casualties throughout that whole mess.

Originally posted by Lee:

the lives of our men should come first.

Soldiers lives are a means to a foreign policy end, but if the only thing that matters to you is their safety then you might as well bring them home now, since the US is the safest place for them.

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lee:

the lives of our men should come first.

Soldiers lives are a means to a foreign policy end, but if the only thing that matters to you is their safety then you might as well bring them home now, since the US is the safest place for them. </font>

It hard to imagine a non-awkward way to level ammo loads between vehicles in these up-close-and-personal CM engagements. Your squad dashing back to their Stryker to stock-up on ammo is easily done but parking an MGS in a quiet spot, meeting up with whatever appropriate vehicle and the crew pitching in to restock the autoloader seems really tough to reproduce. How would you imagine it - if vehicle X parks within 5m of dedicated supply vehicle Y for 10 minutes without moving then vehicle X automaticaly has its main ammo restored? Sounds disturbingly like 'Power Crystals' to me. BFC might be able to construct a non-gamey way of doing it. I'd hate to be the poor Humvee driver speeding up to the firefight with those spare 105mm HE rounds rattling around in back! :rolleyes:

Fear is a great motivator.

It's nice to know that the lives of innocent civilians are worth less than the lives of professional soldiers. I don't think the same can be said about police officers and hostages at home.

But I guess "the end justifies the means", though I'm not sure how intentionally shooting through civilians to hit your target is legal under international law or even US/Canadian military law.

Edit: Give me power crystals!!!! :D (j/k :rolleyes: )

Okay okay - sorry to jump into this debate but:

"That's what the people in the twin towers, the Pentagon, and those four airplanes thought, too."

Does every topic on the military, Pentagon spending, or foreign conflicts really need this interjected? I scanned the thread from top to bottom and there's not even an oblique reference in there to 911. The Twin Towers seems to get pulled out like the Joker in a card game to trump all other arguments. The misuse of the symbol threatens to diminish its significance. "Remember 911" rather reminds me of "Remember the Maine!" (the U.S. battleship blown up in Havanna harbor), our warcry for invading the Phillipines 100 years ago.