Your thoughts on 1.08

Originally posted by Martyr:

The only problem I have seen so far with 1.08 is too much friendly fire at night. It's almost ridiculous: bounding overwatch is pretty funny when the covering squad opens up on the men they're supposed to be covering.

This is not a new problem, of course. It has been with the engine from the beginning.

I'm just curious but how would you suggest the game be modified so as not to see "too much friendly fire at night"?

Maybe friendly fire at night is really that heavy? :confused:

Since the small arms fire does not effect friendlies it would really only be a cosmetic fix any ways wouldn't it? (unless I am confused and they have changed that aspect of the simulation lately and I was unaware of the change.)

smile.gif

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I have seen so far with 1.08 is too much friendly fire at night. It's almost ridiculous: bounding overwatch is pretty funny when the covering squad opens up on the men they're supposed to be covering.

This is not a new problem, of course. It has been with the engine from the beginning.

I'm just curious but how would you suggest the game be modified so as not to see "too much friendly fire at night"?

Since the small arms fire does not effect friendlies it would really only be a cosmetic fix any ways wouldn't it? (unless I am confused and they have changed that aspect of the simulation lately and I was unaware of the change.)

smile.gif

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

smile.gif

I'm pretty sure that units--particularly units with night-vision equipment--shouldn't fire on their own men at the short ranges we're seeing, especially when their mission is to cover those men as they move forward. I'd trust that they could keep their eye on the squads they're protecting as those squads move forward 100 yards.

I was unaware that FF was merely cosmetic. In fact, I was sure that I've taken casualties from it. (If it *is* merely cosmetic, this might explain why units with "hide" commands continue to do it.)

Does FF use ammo?

smile.gif

I'm pretty sure that units--particularly units with night-vision equipment--shouldn't fire on their own men at the short ranges we're seeing, especially when their mission is to cover those men as they move forward. I'd trust that they could keep their eye on the squads they're protecting as those squads move forward 100 yards.

I was unaware that FF was merely cosmetic. In fact, I was sure that I've taken casualties from it. (If it *is* merely cosmetic, this might explain why units with "hide" commands continue to do it.)

Does FF use ammo?

smile.gif

Does FF use ammo?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

smile.gif

Does FF use ammo? </font>

smile.gif

smile.gif

I finally got to play some 1.08 this weekend and I think the game is truly maturing.

However, I noticed that couple of scenarios that used to be very difficult have become much easier. "Housecleaning" was kicking my rear end the last time I tired to play it a couple of weeks ago, and I just ran thru it with about 3 casualties( as blue on real time, elite). A lot of bad guys are now showing up as routed. This not necessarily a bug, in fact it makes sense. However it means a lot off scenarios may need to be rebalanced.

Some this is also do to better TAC AI which means that less of my guys get shot doing things that truly make no sense, but it still affects the game balance.

I finally got to play some 1.08 this weekend and I think the game is truly maturing.

However, I noticed that couple of scenarios that used to be very difficult have become much easier. "Housecleaning" was kicking my rear end the last time I tired to play it a couple of weeks ago, and I just ran thru it with about 3 casualties( as blue on real time, elite). A lot of bad guys are now showing up as routed. This not necessarily a bug, in fact it makes sense. However it means a lot off scenarios may need to be rebalanced.

Some this is also do to better TAC AI which means that less of my guys get shot doing things that truly make no sense, but it still affects the game balance.

At last I managed to buy CMSF in Spain. Yes, I know it has been released worlwide about 1 year ago, but in Spain we had to wait till this month. The good thing: the game is already patched to 1.07 ^^.

The bad thing: I cannot seem to patch it to 1.08... My game seems to be the Paradox Interactive version and that's the patch I download (241 Mb), but after the patching when I try to run the game I get an error message saying that a wrong disc is inserted. The disc IS in, and I am not using cracks, mods or anything, just a vanilla installation of CMSF and the 1.08 patch. If I deinstall and install the game again, I have no problems at all.

Am I the only one with this problem?

EDIT: Well, finally there's no SecuROM bug with the spanish version. I've mailed the company who distributes the game in Spain (Friendware) and as our game is a different distro, it requires a different 1.08 patch that hasn't been released yet, without the f%&$*ng SecuROM protection (in fact, with the 1.07 I can play without the CD on the drive!). So I'll have to wait a bit longer for the 1.08. Anyway, thanks for the fast reply.

[ April 07, 2008, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Fenix ]

At last I managed to buy CMSF in Spain. Yes, I know it has been released worlwide about 1 year ago, but in Spain we had to wait till this month. The good thing: the game is already patched to 1.07 ^^.

The bad thing: I cannot seem to patch it to 1.08... My game seems to be the Paradox Interactive version and that's the patch I download (241 Mb), but after the patching when I try to run the game I get an error message saying that a wrong disc is inserted. The disc IS in, and I am not using cracks, mods or anything, just a vanilla installation of CMSF and the 1.08 patch. If I deinstall and install the game again, I have no problems at all.

EDIT: Well, finally there's no SecuROM bug with the spanish version. I've mailed the company who distributes the game in Spain (Friendware) and as our game is a different distro, it requires a different 1.08 patch that hasn't been released yet, without the f%&$*ng SecuROM protection (in fact, with the 1.07 I can play without the CD on the drive!). So I'll have to wait a bit longer for the 1.08. Anyway, thanks for the fast reply.