Your thoughts on 1.08

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll bite: the FAST command continues to be about as useful as the Pope's pudenda. QUICK, will get a unit the same distance minus the fatigue. FAST troops may have less situational awareness but should this effect speed in protected, non-fire zones? Am I alone in thinking that this small stuff is more important than tweaking the 'shatter gap'?

(/kvetch off)

OK, I'll bite: the FAST command continues to be about as useful as the Pope's pudenda. QUICK, will get a unit the same distance minus the fatigue. FAST troops may have less situational awareness but should this effect speed in protected, non-fire zones? Am I alone in thinking that this small stuff is more important than tweaking the 'shatter gap'?

(/kvetch off)

(/kvetch off)

Originally posted by Childress:

(/kvetch off)

No, you're not alone. I'm also a bit confused as to how the FAST command is useful WRT infantry. . . with vehicles, it is somewhat useful when you want to, for example, make an all-out dash from defilade to defilade.

But as you note, for Infantry, the speed gained by using FAST over QUICK is minimal, and it is substantially more tiring than QUICK. What's that good for?

Or maybe I'm missing something. Is there some advantage to FAST that I am unaware of? Or maybe other factors like encumbrance come into play here? Is FAST substantially faster than QUICK for, say, an insurgent with only his AK-47 and a few clips, but not so much for a US Soldier weighed down with lots of body armor and gear? I haven't experimented with all this stuff yet. . .

But it is a minor issue for me, because MOVE, QUICK, HUNT, and SLOW fit the bill for what I'm trying to do with infantry the vast majority of the time in CMSF.

Eventually, though, IMHO, it would be nice for FAST to be changed to something more useful. The two possibilities I see:

(a) A steady jog -- same speed as QUICK -- but without much attention to cover, spotting and formation. Therefore, less tiring than QUICK. This would be useful for rapid repositionings of infantry when contact is not expected. MOVE is fine when you're got plenty of time as it is very efficient. But it's pretty freaking slow. . . some kind of "double time" march would be useful occasionally.

or

(B) An all-out dash, with little attention to using cover or keeping formation. As tiring as it is now, but noticably faster than QUICK. Useful when it's critical to cover that 20-50m before the arty comes down, or whatever.

Like I said, this is a minor issue for me, but it would be an appreciated improvement nonetheless. Maybe next patch. . .

I look forward to trying out 1.08. Unfortunately, probably not until Sunday for me due to work commitments. :(

Cheers,

YD

(/kvetch off)

No, you're not alone. I'm also a bit confused as to how the FAST command is useful WRT infantry. . . with vehicles, it is somewhat useful when you want to, for example, make an all-out dash from defilade to defilade.

But as you note, for Infantry, the speed gained by using FAST over QUICK is minimal, and it is substantially more tiring than QUICK. What's that good for?

Or maybe I'm missing something. Is there some advantage to FAST that I am unaware of? Or maybe other factors like encumbrance come into play here? Is FAST substantially faster than QUICK for, say, an insurgent with only his AK-47 and a few clips, but not so much for a US Soldier weighed down with lots of body armor and gear? I haven't experimented with all this stuff yet. . .

But it is a minor issue for me, because MOVE, QUICK, HUNT, and SLOW fit the bill for what I'm trying to do with infantry the vast majority of the time in CMSF.

Eventually, though, IMHO, it would be nice for FAST to be changed to something more useful. The two possibilities I see:

(a) A steady jog -- same speed as QUICK -- but without much attention to cover, spotting and formation. Therefore, less tiring than QUICK. This would be useful for rapid repositionings of infantry when contact is not expected. MOVE is fine when you're got plenty of time as it is very efficient. But it's pretty freaking slow. . . some kind of "double time" march would be useful occasionally.

or

(B) An all-out dash, with little attention to using cover or keeping formation. As tiring as it is now, but noticably faster than QUICK. Useful when it's critical to cover that 20-50m before the arty comes down, or whatever.

Like I said, this is a minor issue for me, but it would be an appreciated improvement nonetheless. Maybe next patch. . .

I look forward to trying out 1.08. Unfortunately, probably not until Sunday for me due to work commitments. :(

Cheers,

YD

(/kvetch off)

or

Cheers,

YD

Remember U.S. is carrying 40 pounds(?) of body armor so Fast and Quick speeds probably wouldn't really be all that different. I don't think Fast and Quick commands really refer to speed so much as intentions. I tend to use Quick when i'm trying to get from point A to point B. I use Fast when I'm just trying to get away from point A! With Fast they'll immediately drop whatever they're doing and bug on out the back door.

Remember U.S. is carrying 40 pounds(?) of body armor so Fast and Quick speeds probably wouldn't really be all that different. I don't think Fast and Quick commands really refer to speed so much as intentions. I tend to use Quick when i'm trying to get from point A to point B. I use Fast when I'm just trying to get away from point A! With Fast they'll immediately drop whatever they're doing and bug on out the back door.

So FAST is more about the amount of time it takes the the unit gets up and get moving, rather than the actual speed at which it moves? IOW, units on FAST don't take time to set up traveling formation, but just "bug out", while units on QUICK organize themselves for a few seconds before they actually start moving?

If so, I can see some utility to this. I just hadn't noticed the difference yet. . . so many things to learn!

So FAST is more about the amount of time it takes the the unit gets up and get moving, rather than the actual speed at which it moves? IOW, units on FAST don't take time to set up traveling formation, but just "bug out", while units on QUICK organize themselves for a few seconds before they actually start moving?

If so, I can see some utility to this. I just hadn't noticed the difference yet. . . so many things to learn!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

This is pure hearsay on your part. ;)