Ghost Campaign

Webwing

Im waiting for the Next Patch and your New Version to come. Never seen a Mission or Campaign that good in CMSF.

When both is released i will come up ontop with a new AAR Threat on 1.06 and your New Realease playing it as far as i can get without loosing Fun (maybe i would have made it in the End but at what costs of US-Troops?)

Anyway. Good work. S!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Webwing, just started the campaign under 1.06. First battle, not yet completed, but boy, it's a good one so far! Intense, well-planned, some nice/nasty surprises, great map, very determined enemy. Really love it.

Runs very smoothly, too, though as it's a relatively small one it's probably not going to put too much pressure on my pc.

1.06 sure makes a difference. First impressions, this is what SF was meant to be.

OK, just finished battle one and here's my verdict

******** BIG SPOILER ALERT!!! *********

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Very intense battle, playing WEGO Elite. Scored Total Victory with 2 dead and 16 wounded.

Love the map, love the infantry emphasis, but a couple of things happened that made me wonder about the AI and/or scripting. Firstly, the BTR came in and, after waiting on the bend a while and spraying hot metal towards my 2nd platoon, then advanced right up to MG1. By then 1st platoon had taken that position, which the BTR should have been aware of (?). So when it sat outside, my squads just peppered it. Boom!

When the F16 came in, I ordered it to heavy bomb MG2. It never managed to do it - I just kept getting the Coming Around message, but it never dropped any ordnance. As it happened, I didn't need it anyway. Got the victory 5 minutes from the end.

In the end, then, though it was a challenging battle, it turned into a relatively easy victory. A vigorous enemy defence, but a couple more enemy squads and/or another vehicle might've really tested me.

Great fun, though, fantastic to watch my guys on the move, and it's so good to be back in the fray!

On to battle 2 . . .

My First Impression on Ghost Campaign is that its more Challenging. Houses provide more cover and Low Wall Bug made it easier to approach onto houses so the First MIssion is tougher.

What i also seen in 1.06 is that every man and Equipment Stuff counts more in a Tactical Way. I dont know how to say but i guess lots of Missions now need a New Balancing. FOr Ghost Campaign that means to me when i look further to the Later Missions that i got slapped again (for my Kind of Taste Losses more then 15%) because its togher now.

Its still too Hollywood Like and Intense to me. But that is the TF Thunder Campaign to me too.

On the other Hand i really like the F-16. Adds style to the "In the Game" RPG Feeling.

I'm sorry but things have been pretty hectic and I haven't had much time to even answer the posts here.

I have done some tweaking to the campaign, some major changes in battles that seem off, like the 5th. Also working on a major upgrade with new units and maps/missions.

But since 1.06 changed the game so much most of the re-balancing I did is lost! I need to start it all over again.

I'm afraid as it is now there is little hope for a player to win the campaign. You should not have more than 15% casualties on each mission( dead + wounded ).

So, like I said you can expect an update I just can't promise when though. Still any feedback I get from people that do play it will be very helpful for the tweakings I'll be doing. So, thanks in advance for those who help me with that.

-

Originally posted by Garm:

Webwing, thank you very much for your great campaign. I didn't play beyond the first 2 missions some weeks ago because of the low wall bug and other bugs which are now fixed. So I've restarted the campaign and can fully enjoy it with 1.06.

Great Garm!

Tell me what you think of the missions you played, please.

Originally posted by Darkmage:

with buildings providing more cover is anyone finding they take more casualties in the 1st mission than under 1.05?

I think 1.06 makes a huge difference!

Originally posted by handihoc:

OK, just finished battle one and here's my verdict

******** BIG SPOILER ALERT!!! *********

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Very intense battle, playing WEGO Elite. Scored Total Victory with 2 dead and 16 wounded.

Love the map, love the infantry emphasis, but a couple of things happened that made me wonder about the AI and/or scripting. Firstly, the BTR came in and, after waiting on the bend a while and spraying hot metal towards my 2nd platoon, then advanced right up to MG1. By then 1st platoon had taken that position, which the BTR should have been aware of (?). So when it sat outside, my squads just peppered it. Boom!

When the F16 came in, I ordered it to heavy bomb MG2. It never managed to do it - I just kept getting the Coming Around message, but it never dropped any ordnance. As it happened, I didn't need it anyway. Got the victory 5 minutes from the end.

In the end, then, though it was a challenging battle, it turned into a relatively easy victory. A vigorous enemy defence, but a couple more enemy squads and/or another vehicle might've really tested me.

Great fun, though, fantastic to watch my guys on the move, and it's so good to be back in the fray!

On to battle 2 . . .

handihoc, I'm glad you are enjoying it!!!

-

Originally posted by Jon Hagstad:

Will the ghost campaign be updated for 1.06?

I'm pondering to try it out now but if there is an updated version coming soon I'll wait. smile.gif

Jon,

It will. Read the start of the post.

-

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

The F-16 seems to me to be a little out of place here. What seems more "right" to me would be a couple of mortar missions - more specifically 81mm stuff.

What really would seem right would be either HE or SMOKE 81mm missions, but, of course, we don't have that.

SlapHappy,

I wanted the least possible support. Yes, it's not realistic. I'm trying to find a balance between something that feels realistic but still fun. The more I read about the combats that happen today to more I think they are not fun in a game. Apparently most of the fighting today goes like this: Infantry contact. Take cover. Call support. Or Javelins on the enemy. So, no real infantry fights.

Even the mech missions that are most fun are not realistic.

Originally posted by Taki:

My First Impression on Ghost Campaign is that its more Challenging. Houses provide more cover and Low Wall Bug made it easier to approach onto houses so the First MIssion is tougher.

What i also seen in 1.06 is that every man and Equipment Stuff counts more in a Tactical Way. I dont know how to say but i guess lots of Missions now need a New Balancing. FOr Ghost Campaign that means to me when i look further to the Later Missions that i got slapped again (for my Kind of Taste Losses more then 15%) because its togher now.

Its still too Hollywood Like and Intense to me. But that is the TF Thunder Campaign to me too.

On the other Hand i really like the F-16. Adds style to the "In the Game" RPG Feeling.

Taki,

Im not even sure the campaign is winnable in 1.06!!!

If you take more than 15% casualties I don't see how you could finish it.

--

Thx for the Update. I wait for a better Campaign after a better Patch 1.06

If i could make a Wish i would wih it stays the Tactical Challenge but not all that much Fighting and Casualtiys and such things. ^^

Its challengin as it is till Mission 1.04 and a good RPG Feeling.

Hope for more

S!

Taki

Great Garm!

SPOILERS AHEAD:

OK, I haven't finished the campaign yet, I've just finished the mission where I have to hold the bridges I captured in the second mission.

In general, the size of the forces is perfect. As I play real time exclusively, I find it quite hard to handle more than 3 or 4 platoons.

The balance is quite good, the first three missions are a challenge, but not too hard.

Well, as I said, I have just completed the fourth mission (hold the bridges, isn't it?) and I must admit that I suffered a total defeat. Maybe it's just my poor tactic, but I really don't know how to defend those bridges. In my first attempt, I just positioned my men in the buildings and tried to hold till the last man standing, but I was overrun by the ennemy. In my second attempt, I retreated to the hill (the fall back position) when the ennemy approached the bridges. Then, I waited for reinforcements to arrive. But I wasn't able to get near to the bridges again, my men got pinned at the ridge. When the 40mm Stryker arrived, I managed to kill two of the BRDMs (one with a Javelin from the Stryker) but the gunner in the vehicle got killed. Finally, the time was over and it was a total defeat for me. But it was great fun anyway. Maybe some air support or more artillery would make things a bit easier.

But thanks a lot for your hard work again.

Originally posted by Garm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Great Garm!

SPOILERS AHEAD:

OK, I haven't finished the campaign yet, I've just finished the mission where I have to hold the bridges I captured in the second mission.

In general, the size of the forces is perfect. As I play real time exclusively, I find it quite hard to handle more than 3 or 4 platoons.

The balance is quite good, the first three missions are a challenge, but not too hard.

Well, as I said, I have just completed the fourth mission (hold the bridges, isn't it?) and I must admit that I suffered a total defeat. Maybe it's just my poor tactic, but I really don't know how to defend those bridges. In my first attempt, I just positioned my men in the buildings and tried to hold till the last man standing, but I was overrun by the ennemy. In my second attempt, I retreated to the hill (the fall back position) when the ennemy approached the bridges. Then, I waited for reinforcements to arrive. But I wasn't able to get near to the bridges again, my men got pinned at the ridge. When the 40mm Stryker arrived, I managed to kill two of the BRDMs (one with a Javelin from the Stryker) but the gunner in the vehicle got killed. Finally, the time was over and it was a total defeat for me. But it was great fun anyway. Maybe some air support or more artillery would make things a bit easier.

But thanks a lot for your hard work again. </font>

• 2 weeks later...

Just attempted Mission 3

SPOILER ALERT!!

Managed to take out the peripheral outposts with only a few casualties however as I was taking the last outpost I decided to send a platoon around the back of the village to set up positions in the woods, ran straight into a mine field! Ouch! =( are they only clearable with engineers? I guess the syrians don't want you sneaking in the back door.

Originally posted by Darkmage:

Just attempted Mission 3

SPOILER ALERT!!

Managed to take out the peripheral outposts with only a few casualties however as I was taking the last outpost I decided to send a platoon around the back of the village to set up positions in the woods, ran straight into a mine field! Ouch! =( are they only clearable with engineers? I guess the syrians don't want you sneaking in the back door.

-

smile.gif

Great to have feedback from you Darkmage.

Unfortunately at this point not even engineers can clear mines, although they should. There was a topic about this some time back. I'm sure this will be implemented in the future but it won't help you in this mission anyway!!!!

--

I have uploaded to CMMODs a new file of the campaign for this version. I named the file v1.3 so you know you have the latest one.

I found out that I made a mistake the first time I compiled it and used an old file for the 6th mission. The way it was the mission was just too hard and not much fun. Definitely the hardest in the campaign. I had fixed it adding a lot more air support and also artillery. Now it's more fun, still challenging.

The previous file also had a loop if you didn't win this mission. Now you can lose and still go to the last mission. But for the bonus you still need a TV in the last one.

-

Originally posted by Aloko Mac:

This might be a stupid question but I dare to ask :D

Im currently in the second battle with the V1,2.

Do I need to restart the whole campaign to play with 1,3 ?

So far I've replaced my 1,2 files with the newly released.

thanks for help,

It's not at all a stupid question!

I'm not sure if you replace the files if they will substitute the subsequent missions. I guess they should.

I can't test this now but I could test it later today.

I knew this would mess up peoples game but I had to do it since the 6th mission can completely destroy your chances of finishing the campaign.

Sorry about that!

-

Originally posted by Webwing:

It's not at all a stupid question!

I'm not sure if you replace the files if they will substitute the subsequent missions. I guess they should.

I can't test this now but I could test it later today.

I knew this would mess up peoples game but I had to do it since the 6th mission can completely destroy your chances of finishing the campaign.

Sorry about that!

-