Airstrikes packages or single weapons?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a program about British Royal Marines in Afghanistan recently and there was an interesting sequence when they had to call in an airstrike. They wanted to take out a fairly small threat like a sniper or a small group of gunmen that had them pinned down. When they radioed for air support all that was available was an aircraft with one or more 2000 lb bombs. This was "overkill" on a massive scale apparently but they had no other choice but to call it in. When some civilians wandered near to the target building they had to scrub the mission as it was too likely to lead to civilian casualties.

This sort of life and death decision-making would be nice to simulate in the game. What happens when the only weapon you have at your disposal is actually too powerful for the job?

Wasn't that Panorama? Was an interesting doc wasn't it. The AC was Dutch IIRC?

What suprised me was the mortar/MG incident. They're sitting in the middle of nowhere in the land rovers, zero cover, taking mortars and mg fire, and in the most disinterested manor you can imagine the sgt says "we're being bracketed". Sure it looked to be extreme range for the hmg, 1-2km but the mortars were still landing fairly close. In a bloody land rover I wouldn't have hung around!

Londoner,

I'm fairly sure you are right that the program was the BBC's "Panorama". As you say, it was staggering to see how calmly the men took enemy fire in what looked like ordinary Landrovers with a few extra armour plates bolted on for good measure.

IIRC the unit's role was primarily Recon, and they took their job extremely seriously. They would advance across open desert towards areas suspected of harbouring Taliban fighters and stop as soon as they started taking fire - usually from mortars or HMGs as you said. They then used binoculars to identify enemy positions and make sure no civilians were in the area before calling in whatever artillery or AC they had available.

I remember one of the soldiers saying he'd served in Iraq (admittedly the quieter British sector as opposed to the Sunni Triange) and this was ten times more dangerous. I can well believe it!

Steve,

I think it would be far more interesting and realistic to have organic and inorganic air support modeled, but you as the ground commander don't get to buy what you want, instead paying for the opportunity to have it, but without direct control over the exact form it takes.

Rather, the air support subroutine has a list of available air resources, with weighted availability and varying payloads and loadout depletion percentages. Further, certain air assets, likely F-117s and AC-130s, would only be usable at night or in highly permissive environments, whereas others could be used with relative impunity.

I believe this would neatly mirror a situation going back to WW II in which the ground commander encounters tough resistance, starts screaming for air support, but has to take whatever's available at the time. Sure, he wants a fighter bomber loaded for bear, but he may instead get only a few strafing runs. Even so, with delivery accuracies being what they are these days, I feel that tacair

is likely to exert a wholly disproportionate effect in the game relative to what CM players are used to seeing. Own goals, for example, should be relatively rare, but will really hurt if they occur.

Regards,

John Kettler

No AC-130? My heart is breaking! I suppose it might be tough to pick a variant to model, as they are changing so often, but I think that the AC-130 would be a really cool and useful tool to have available.

Admittedly, the 155mm howitzer on the AC-130 is basically the same as getting Paladin support, but I think that the 25mm chain gun and the 40mm Bofors guns (or whatever their counterparts would be in the variant modeled) would be really cool to have available for support fires.

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

No AC-130? My heart is breaking! I suppose it might be tough to pick a variant to model, as they are changing so often, but I think that the AC-130 would be a really cool and useful tool to have available.

Admittedly, the 155mm howitzer on the AC-130 is basically the same as getting Paladin support, but I think that the 25mm chain gun and the 40mm Bofors guns (or whatever their counterparts would be in the variant modeled) would be really cool to have available for support fires.

Puff the Magic Dragon....

Note to self... go with gut instinct next time and don't try to improvise a list, even after making a statement like this:

No, we don't have an aircraft list yet. But it probably will be something like:
smile.gif

Guys... I was just pulling stuff out off the top of my head. No need to panic.

AC-130 is something that is planned, so stop crying. There F/A-18 seems to be, from a ground standpoint, a bit of duplication considering the presence of F-15 and F-16 assets. F/A-18s would be more likely doing combat ops in support of the other side of the battlefield (i.e. from the Med Sea) and therefore it is logical to hold it back for the Marine module.

As for the F-117A and F-22A, looks like if Bush gets his way the last F-117A will be fly in 2008. That's quite a bit earlier than we had expected. So I guess we should just go with the F-22A and ditch the F-117A.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Note to self... go with gut instinct next time and don't try to improvise a list, even after making a statement like this:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />No, we don't have an aircraft list yet. But it probably will be something like:

smile.gif

Guys... I was just pulling stuff out off the top of my head. No need to panic.

</font>

To further confuse the spookyII, there was a test being conducted to arm the ac0139U with 120mm mortar. I never did hear what happened with that. Last I heard, there were like 8 of the ac-130h and 13 of the ac-130U. I know there was money allocated for more, but I haven't been following too close. tears in my eyes from the f-14 being retired. :(

Rune