About US small arms

Axel

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that it is a misquotation too:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Alternative: "We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."

Notes: allegedly said by George Orwell although there is no evidence that Orwell ever wrote or uttered either of these versions of this idea. They do bear some similarity to comments made in an essay that Orwell wrote on Rudyard Kipling, when quoting from one of his poems.

"Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" - Rudyard Kipling (Tommy)

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it." - Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men)

Alternative: "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill (miscellaneous quotation, no date)

Source.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Alternative: "We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."

Notes: allegedly said by George Orwell although there is no evidence that Orwell ever wrote or uttered either of these versions of this idea. They do bear some similarity to comments made in an essay that Orwell wrote on Rudyard Kipling, when quoting from one of his poems.

"Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" - Rudyard Kipling (Tommy)

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it." - Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men)

Alternative: "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill (miscellaneous quotation, no date)

Source.

Source.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Yeah, I know .357 or .44 mag is the way to "settle" things once and for all with one of the large animals. I figure .40cal has a chance of doing more than pissing it off, though. 9mm is for sure just going to annoy it. Hopefully I won't have to find out.

Moose are easy to avoid when in the rut and otherwise are usually very shy or even tame (which is why there is a 90% kill rate for moose hunting permits. If you see it you can kill it... some sport :rolleyes: ). Our bears are very shy and they avoid Humans miles before contact, unlike grizzlies. Thankfully, although I do literally have moose and bears in my back yard, no grizzlies to worry about. I think even a .50cal Barret might not be quite enough to drop one before it attempts to slice and dice :D

Steve

Moose and bears...what about Sasquatch?

Yeah, I know .357 or .44 mag is the way to "settle" things once and for all with one of the large animals. I figure .40cal has a chance of doing more than pissing it off, though. 9mm is for sure just going to annoy it. Hopefully I won't have to find out.

Moose are easy to avoid when in the rut and otherwise are usually very shy or even tame (which is why there is a 90% kill rate for moose hunting permits. If you see it you can kill it... some sport :rolleyes: ). Our bears are very shy and they avoid Humans miles before contact, unlike grizzlies. Thankfully, although I do literally have moose and bears in my back yard, no grizzlies to worry about. I think even a .50cal Barret might not be quite enough to drop one before it attempts to slice and dice :D

Steve

Steve

Sasquatch? I don't think many Mainers think they exist, so I don't fear them. On the other hand Maine has one of the highest incidents of UFO spotting per capita in the whole USA from what I hear. Not sure if even a .357mag will do much against Visitors. Hope I never have to find out, because besides prostate checkups I don't intend on having anything probing my backside (thank you very kindly!).

Steve

P.S. I don't believe in UFOs in the sense that they are really here, but damned if two times my wife and I have seen light patterns in our neighborhood that make zero sense. Hmmm... perhaps I will go to my local gun shop and see what he has in a .357....

Sasquatch? I don't think many Mainers think they exist, so I don't fear them. On the other hand Maine has one of the highest incidents of UFO spotting per capita in the whole USA from what I hear. Not sure if even a .357mag will do much against Visitors. Hope I never have to find out, because besides prostate checkups I don't intend on having anything probing my backside (thank you very kindly!).

Steve

P.S. I don't believe in UFOs in the sense that they are really here, but damned if two times my wife and I have seen light patterns in our neighborhood that make zero sense. Hmmm... perhaps I will go to my local gun shop and see what he has in a .357....

Steve

Only out of state wussies (aka "From Away") use rifles. Mainers use pickup trucks to take down their pray. Often out of season. We use rifles to fend off the black flies. Those muthas will pick you up and drag you into the woods if you don't stand your ground! Which reminds me, as soon as it stops snowing (again) those little bastards are going to be out in full force. Thankfully with my work schedule that isn't a problem. By the time I've got time to go outside the dragon files will be out and that will just leave mosquitoes to deal with.

Steve

Steve

Only out of state wussies (aka "From Away") use rifles. Mainers use pickup trucks to take down their pray. Often out of season. We use rifles to fend off the black flies. Those muthas will pick you up and drag you into the woods if you don't stand your ground! Which reminds me, as soon as it stops snowing (again) those little bastards are going to be out in full force. Thankfully with my work schedule that isn't a problem. By the time I've got time to go outside the dragon files will be out and that will just leave mosquitoes to deal with.

Steve

Steve

Steve

Steve

Steve

UFO's? I think with a .357 you get one chance then your dead meat. Especially with these guys...

avp9.jpg

Steve

UFO's? I think with a .357 you get one chance then your dead meat. Especially with these guys...

avp9.jpg

Steve

avp9.jpg

If you shoot a .357 at one of them I am thinking maybe that also is the exact time you have left to live when they shoot back.

If you shoot a .357 at one of them I am thinking maybe that also is the exact time you have left to live when they shoot back.

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

Steve, shooting a bull moose or a bear with a .40 will only piss them off more, and in the case of the bear, will guarantee that it will eat you.

Get a good ole .357 or .44 magnum. Works lot better against your primary threat. They also work well against uninvited guests. But for that, I would recommend a Remington 870 .12 gauge. Just cycling the bolt when you pump a shell into the chamber will settle 95% of any possible violent encounters you might have in the defense of your family.

Yeah, bears and moose hate shotguns. Watch out for the racoons, though, they'll just gank your shottie when you're not looking.

Steve, shooting a bull moose or a bear with a .40 will only piss them off more, and in the case of the bear, will guarantee that it will eat you.

Get a good ole .357 or .44 magnum. Works lot better against your primary threat. They also work well against uninvited guests. But for that, I would recommend a Remington 870 .12 gauge. Just cycling the bolt when you pump a shell into the chamber will settle 95% of any possible violent encounters you might have in the defense of your family.

Yeah, bears and moose hate shotguns. Watch out for the racoons, though, they'll just gank your shottie when you're not looking.