About US small arms

Axel

Really?

I disagree. I regularly go to a range and shoot small, round, paper targets. The rifles I use are not intended for home defence or any such rubbish. Some could not be used as such, save as a club. They are target rifles, with the sole purpose of shooting a small, round, paper target.

Plenty of people like the discipline and control of firing at small, round targets on a range.

Perhaps it's a British thing, but I view someone who owns a gun with the sole purpose of blowing someone else away somewhat distasteful. But I don't pretend that they do not exist.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

I disagree. I regularly go to a range and shoot small, round, paper targets. The rifles I use are not intended for home defence or any such rubbish. Some could not be used as such, save as a club. They are target rifles, with the sole purpose of shooting a small, round, paper target.

Plenty of people like the discipline and control of firing at small, round targets on a range.

Perhaps it's a British thing, but I view someone who owns a gun with the sole purpose of blowing someone else away somewhat distasteful. But I don't pretend that they do not exist.

Really?

There is no other reason to own a gun than to have it to blow someone else away. Thats what they were invented for and since they dont dispense candy, compute complex mathmatical calculations, end world hunger, or make Metallica sound as good as the 80's, that is still thier only purpose.

And going to the range is fine, but in a combat situation you dont want to switch midway through from say a gun you are comfortable with to something that you cant hit the broadside of a barn with. So when on the range, use what you are planning to use if a situation arises.

There is no other reason to own a gun than to have it to blow someone else away. Thats what they were invented for and since they dont dispense candy, compute complex mathmatical calculations, end world hunger, or make Metallica sound as good as the 80's, that is still thier only purpose.

And going to the range is fine, but in a combat situation you dont want to switch midway through from say a gun you are comfortable with to something that you cant hit the broadside of a barn with. So when on the range, use what you are planning to use if a situation arises.

let me go ahead and clear this up for you, flamingknives,

"Plenty of people like the discipline and control of firing at small, round targets on a range."

to which i definitely agree.

Just because they were invented for one thing doesn't mean they shouldn't be used for another, gunpowder was originally invented by the Chinese in the 9th century for use as fireworks to "scare away demons" and make for a crowd pleaser, yet the Europeans took it and used it to make weapons. Hell, condoms were invented to prevent women from getting pregnant during sexual intercourse, yet during WWII soldiers used them to keep crap from getting into the barrels of their guns.

"Plenty of people like the discipline and control of firing at small, round targets on a range."

Just because they were invented for one thing doesn't mean they shouldn't be used for another, gunpowder was originally invented by the Chinese in the 9th century for use as fireworks to "scare away demons" and make for a crowd pleaser, yet the Europeans took it and used it to make weapons. Hell, condoms were invented to prevent women from getting pregnant during sexual intercourse, yet during WWII soldiers used them to keep crap from getting into the barrels of their guns.

I love going to the range and go regulary twice a week. It is also required for work so I make a hobby out of it.

I am also a gun collector, some are just for looking at. Others are for range recreation.

And I dont really buy the argument that firing one weapons makes you less of a marksmen with another.

I rotate using all my weapons and shoot over 50 rounds from each, each week.

And not to beat my own drum, but there is not much that makes my marksmenship suffer.

I could be missing three fingers and have a glass eye and still shoot a small group with almost any weapon on earth.

A new gun to me is like a new DVD movie, or a new book or new video game or a new car.

I have my favourites and those that I know well and enjoy every time I watch/read/play/drive them.

But I love shooting and love doing it with new weapons to experience their nuances and how different cultures and makers craft their weapons.

So it is a hobby, and all hobbies require expense and change or else that hobby dies.

And im not married.

So I get to waste all my income on really unresponsible things and never have to justify it to anyone :D

Unfortunatly im not in the income bracket to buys new cars as often as I buy DVDs and video games :(

But I still enjoying driving different performance cars when I can and I think the analogy was apt.

I love going to the range and go regulary twice a week. It is also required for work so I make a hobby out of it.

I am also a gun collector, some are just for looking at. Others are for range recreation.

And I dont really buy the argument that firing one weapons makes you less of a marksmen with another.

And not to beat my own drum, but there is not much that makes my marksmenship suffer.

I could be missing three fingers and have a glass eye and still shoot a small group with almost any weapon on earth.

A new gun to me is like a new DVD movie, or a new book or new video game or a new car.

I have my favourites and those that I know well and enjoy every time I watch/read/play/drive them.

But I love shooting and love doing it with new weapons to experience their nuances and how different cultures and makers craft their weapons.

So it is a hobby, and all hobbies require expense and change or else that hobby dies.

And im not married.

So I get to waste all my income on really unresponsible things and never have to justify it to anyone :D

Unfortunatly im not in the income bracket to buys new cars as often as I buy DVDs and video games :(

But I still enjoying driving different performance cars when I can and I think the analogy was apt.

And im not married.

Originally posted by Sixxkiller:

There is no other reason to own a gun than to have it to blow someone else away. Thats what they were invented for

[...]

Yada, yada. You might say the same thing about archery, javelin throwing, or fencing, which would further emphasize that you're flat-out wrong. For example, tell us how this makes a good defence tool:

Walther_KK300.JPG

My second CCW is on the way - but I'm broad-minded enough to know that one can go to the range for the shear pleasure of getting a good group, slow-fire, at 25 yards or more.

There is no other reason to own a gun than to have it to blow someone else away. Thats what they were invented for

[...]

Yada, yada. You might say the same thing about archery, javelin throwing, or fencing, which would further emphasize that you're flat-out wrong. For example, tell us how this makes a good defence tool:

Walther_KK300.JPG

My second CCW is on the way - but I'm broad-minded enough to know that one can go to the range for the shear pleasure of getting a good group, slow-fire, at 25 yards or more.

[...]

Walther_KK300.JPG