About US small arms

Axel

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Lt Mike is correct. Recently I saw some pics of 1st AD still using M16s (I think this is in AKD's thread), but it is certainly the minority situation today. By CM:SF's timeframe even the rearline units will have few M16s still kicking around.

Steve

The most recent pic of the 1st AD is actually a year old, however I have seen some pics of 1st CAV soldiers carrying A4s recently. I'll see if I can find a few. I'm thinking the "heavy" divisions are still using them in some subordinate units. Definitely the exception, rather than the rule, in Army units now.

edit: okay, kinda small, but first one I found:

armymil200703221010142fhc2.jpg

HIGH-RES

UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters land in Samarra, Iraq, to pick up Soldiers from Company D, 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, following an operation March 3.

[ March 30, 2007, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

Lt Mike is correct. Recently I saw some pics of 1st AD still using M16s (I think this is in AKD's thread), but it is certainly the minority situation today. By CM:SF's timeframe even the rearline units will have few M16s still kicking around.

Steve

The most recent pic of the 1st AD is actually a year old, however I have seen some pics of 1st CAV soldiers carrying A4s recently. I'll see if I can find a few. I'm thinking the "heavy" divisions are still using them in some subordinate units. Definitely the exception, rather than the rule, in Army units now.

HIGH-RES

UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters land in Samarra, Iraq, to pick up Soldiers from Company D, 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, following an operation March 3.

Steve

HIGH-RES

There are several reasons why the Marines went with the M-16A4 instead of the M-4 series as the standard infantry rifle. A long test was conducted at Quantico. One example of why the Marines did not go with the M-4 entirely was that the M-4 did jam more often during the test (thousands of rounds were fired) than the M-16A4 and the round has less velocity since its coming out of a shorter barrel. The standard NATO round would not reliabley penetrate a steel helmet at 300 yards, while a M-16A4 would.

Each has advantages and disadvantages and under 200-300m or so, there is very little difference ballistically.

Most Army rifle squads I have seen have M-4s with Aimpoint red dot scopes. Some soldiers have different scopes such as the ACOG or personal scopes. M-4s with Aimpoint style scopes are great for CQB. Not as great for longer engagements.

Marine squads have M-16A4s with ACOGs. The longer rifle can be awkward to use for CQB and from vehicles. It is more effective for longer engagements.

M-4s are being used by recon units, drivers, officers, etc..

There are several reasons why the Marines went with the M-16A4 instead of the M-4 series as the standard infantry rifle. A long test was conducted at Quantico. One example of why the Marines did not go with the M-4 entirely was that the M-4 did jam more often during the test (thousands of rounds were fired) than the M-16A4 and the round has less velocity since its coming out of a shorter barrel. The standard NATO round would not reliabley penetrate a steel helmet at 300 yards, while a M-16A4 would.

Each has advantages and disadvantages and under 200-300m or so, there is very little difference ballistically.

Most Army rifle squads I have seen have M-4s with Aimpoint red dot scopes. Some soldiers have different scopes such as the ACOG or personal scopes. M-4s with Aimpoint style scopes are great for CQB. Not as great for longer engagements.

Marine squads have M-16A4s with ACOGs. The longer rifle can be awkward to use for CQB and from vehicles. It is more effective for longer engagements.