photos of Syria

I am presently making a map of a rural farm area of Syria for a scenario.

After looking around the net, I found a lot of interesting landscape photos at the Syrian Ministry of Tourism website .

For example:

P2601_197.jpgP2602_197.jpgP2618_197.jpgP2619_197.jpgP2620_197.jpgP2627_197.jpgP2645_197.jpg

Does anyone have another website to refer? I am more interested in getting the right look, color and feel rather than being 100% accurate.

For example, I had started putting drainage ditches on the sides of the roads, but none of the photos of Syria I found show any.

Yeah, now I just wish the makers of this game saw these pictures before they envisioned the desert that they think Syria is.

I've been to Lebanon ,and it was not even remotly deserty...

Our vaunted game however is mostly desert ...desert..and desert..

BOOORING..

Janster

Janster,

If you look at a map of Syria, most of the eastern half of the country, where a U.S. invasion would most likely come from (i.e. Iraq) is desert.

However, the map editor if very flexible. I am putting the finishing touches to a scenario where the map looks very similar to the top two photos in my first post (i.e a rural agricultural area).

Sgt.Goody,

I have no idea about drainage ditches in Syria. I have also been trying to find an answer to that question.

Originally posted by Janster:

Yeah, now I just wish the makers of this game saw these pictures before they envisioned the desert that they think Syria is.

LOL! Yep, there are no deserts anywhere in Syria... especially not along the Ash Shammas-Tadmoor axis which much of the campaign is about. Just look at these lush green hills.

sandstorm1.jpg

Just makes you wonder, why is the Syrian Desert called Syrian Desert?

Fellows, I am sorry to disagree with some of you about Syria's topography. I traveled from Amman, in Jordan, to Damascus by land (by colective taxi, with a couple of bedouins in the back seat) and from Damascus to Palmyra and back in 2000.

The Syrian landscape is quite variated, depending of its proximity to the coast, but there are deserts nevertheless. Moreover, it was winter, so it snowed when I arrived in Damascus and I also saw the desert covered by a thin layer of snow along my journey to Palmyra (several hundred klicks). Unfortunately, I was warned not to take photographs from the bus, so I cannot illustrate my words.

Actually you can find everything you like, except lush vegetation.

Cheers,

Panta

Anyone who's driven from Flagstaff to Tuscon AZ will realize the term 'desert landscape' can have a hundred definitions. The campaign has you pushing in from the east. You progressively go from vast expanses of dry desert (Sergei's picture above) to farmland to dense urban. One supposes the upcoming Marine module would be coming in from the west and deal with a fair amount of densly populated hill country!

Oh, and I suspect if you remove the camera filters used to punch-up the vegetation color in the pictures the true landscape colors would probably more closely match the game. 'Postcard' photography is always more vivid.

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

I have yet to see a CMSF screenshot that looks much like any photo I have seen of Syria.

The fact that no CMSF scenario has a scenery that looks like the photos you have seen of Syria does not mean that what you have seen in CMSF scenarios does not look like places in Syria. I guess that you have not seen the right photos yet.

Syria as many different landscapes and some of them look like landscapes of my own country. I find that in some scenarios, the landscape reminds me a bit of places from the part of Syria in which I spent a good part of my military service; I mean South West Syria ,the Golan Heights

Sure, in other CMSF scenarios I find very little that reminds me of what I have seen of Syria but I have not seen all of Syria yet. Did you ?

Khane

[ August 14, 2007, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Khane ]

I've been to Lebanon ,and it was not even remotly deserty...
Syria is entirely different than Lebanon. There is sand desert and old crusader castles and remains of Roman outposts in the desert. And boy is it hot there during the daytime!

But the inhabited areas have entirely different landscape. Damascus is a big city and looks quite nice from the hills at night.

There are even Christian monasteries and Orthodox churches something you would not expect to find in a country like that.

[ August 14, 2007, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: track ]

Well, honestly I still have the feeling the devs actually haven't looked at real pics of the place.

It just doesn't look right.

While I don't think the country is all lush as above pic, its NOT all sand desert at all.

Considering this is actually in places considered VERY fertile soil aswell.

Janster

Well, honestly I still have the feeling the devs actually haven't looked at real pics of the place.

Honestly, your feeling is still wrong. VERY wrong. We studied detailed satellite images, maps, photographs and climatic information of the particular area. You're talking like a game set in Chechnya should feature Siberian taiga, just because both are within Russia. That's not a strong argument. And there are well vegetated maps in the game, even though you might have missed them.

Ah... I guess you won't change your mind. So yep, you're right. South-eastern Syria is not desert or very arid.

275px-SatSyria.jpg

syria3-2.jpg

[ August 14, 2007, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Not convinced no...

That the map looks deserty, doesn't mean you got Sahara under there..

The countryside might still be very much green.

Janster

Maybe you should provide some evidence of your green deserts in that area of Syria where the scenarios are based. ;)