Making the transition to CMSF

Complete change? No, a radical change? yes. You have to move slower then in CMX1, or pay for it in the lives of your pixel soldiers. Demo is usually worked on after the game is finished, and no, there is not an open beta, it is by invite only.

I'd expect the demo in really late May or perhaps right at the beginning of June, approximately around the time that the game will go gold (so long as the June 12th release date is assured).

But understand that this is a guess depending on the game coming out on June 12th and the game going gold about 2 weeks before release, and the fact that BFC works on demos after the full game is ready and the master copy is finished.

If ToW is anything to judge by, I suspect most CMx1 players will initially be stunned by simply having to learn new control commands for CMSF! I got an unpleasant surprise trying to operate ToWs controls for the first time - 'second nature' no longer applies. It might be the bestest game in the world but I'm going to have to learn how to work it first. Extending the comparison, there's a good bet that CMSF, like ToW, is going to have a bit of an 'unlearning curve' to it. And there's a good bet that until people get acclimated it's going to be the old CMx1 veterans who are going to b*tch the most.

I've been playing TOW as well and at first found it almost impossible to cope with everything going on. However I am now fairly confident at keeping my men in some semblance of order and getting them to operate in formations etc. I imagine the same will happen in CMSF. At first it will just seem like a click-fest until you get the hang of the control system.

This is not an endorsement of TOW by the way. The last game I played I spent ages getting my men into cover behind a wall only to discover that they wouldn't shoot over it!

I think it gives a breath of new life to the series. I hate turn based games and the fact that this is real time will make me and a lot of others who didn't like the turn style of the series now be able to get into it and enjoy it.Plus it simply looks great and will have the great base of the turn based series. I can't wait for this to be released personally, I am looking forward to playing it with great anticipation.I hope they release the demo sooner then a few days before the game is available for sale.

Originally posted by KiloAlpha4:

I hate turn based games and the fact that this is real time will make me and a lot of others who didn't like the turn style of the series

Ouch!! Part of the reason I own and play the CM

series was for it's PBEM..it's the only way busy

working people can play a serious war game IMO I certainly get the most satisfaction playing turn based via PBEM..if this has changed then I'll be greatly disappointed but I'm almost sure the BF people feel the same way on this as I do *hopefully? Look's like I'll need to do some catchup forum reading.

Wouldn't it be neat of the manual came out before the sim..I'd buy it.

[ April 26, 2007, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: mystro ]

Speaking of the manual, we have a chapter in the manual titled "Unlearning Combat Mission". It's very short, but it reaches back to the very first CM game when people were asked to "unlearn tabletop wargames" to get in the right mindset for CM. The same will now be required for CMSF. Feature by feature it probably differs more from CMx1 than most people would expect.

mystro, no worries. The game can be played in real-time or turn-based, and you can play PBEM as well.

Martin

Originally posted by MikeyD:

...Extending the comparison, there's a good bet that CMSF, like ToW, is going to have a bit of an 'unlearning curve' to it.

Although Martin himself has stated that it will be radically different I don't expect it to be anything like TOW in any aspect. BF has a away to approach game problems that is fundamentally different from the way 1C does. So I imagine it will be easier to master the controls and the game itself.

People that never played CM get used to it very fast, whereas TOW takes longer and never feels quite natural.

The interface in the beta videos looks really slick and the graphics look awesome. But yes, ther e will be loads of complains about the way the animations of the finger of the soldier scratching his head is done. :D

I think they said there will be a Demo

Probably sometime this summer

the demo will undoubtedly let us get a feel for what this one is all about.

They have a history of releasing GREAT demo's and wonderful demo scenario's.

We will be able to take it for a test drive before we buy, (as always) so if we can be patient enough to wait for the demo (that's getting harder now I know), I am sure all these questions will be answered completely to your satisifaction the first time you fire up the demo (again, sometime this summer, we are told) smile.gif

-tom w

"They have a history of releasing GREAT demo's and wonderful demo scenario's."

Ah, how soon they forget. Everybody HATED the CMBB demo but LOVED the game itself! People always talk about redoing the classic CMBO demo scenarios to test out the new game engine - nobody ever talks about redoing the CMBB demo scenarios :D;)