Bad news - the first 5 minutes look as awful as TOW

This is the downloaded version from Battlefront.

I try a QB, a tiny US attack...

Long, long, long load leads to a screen of flickering graphics glitches...appearing and disappearing terrain features.

I try to setup, but cannot do it as, despite playing CM1 for years, I am too stupid to figure out how to deploy my units, and after 5 minutes give up trying so as to post this cry for help.

Or maybe the interface could be more intuitive or offer some help?

How sad, please tell me I downloaded the wrong game???

[ July 27, 2007, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: sandy ]

Please, do make your homeworks. What version do you use?

If you have graphics problems, what has that to do with TOW? Do you think graphic problems are intended?

So instead of such useless posts, you could post your system specs and hope that someone will be able to help you.

OK, I'm not the most Fan boy amongst the forum guys here.. but giving it 5 minutes seems unfair.

Did you RTFM? I'm sure it tells you how to deploy units. As for the graphical glitches, well that sucks but from what others have been saying all players seem to be doing OK. Perhaps the standard Update all drivers and check the readme for tips would be in order here.

I got the same flickering problems, plus all the units shouting al the time like band of retards.and now after trying the game once again it stopped respondingagain. i havent managed to play a round so far.

got Intel P4 HT 3.0 Ghz, 2 Gigs of ram, 7900GS, audigy 2 sound card, winXP sp2....

Deep breath sandy....deep breath. First, just until we have time to determine if you have the most recent graphic drivers and things like that, go into Options and lower the settings. That should take care of the flickering graphics. If it doesn't then you have a more serious technical issue that has nothing to do with how playable or unplayable the game is.

Next, (you're not gonna like this one) RTFM. CMSF is not the same game as CMx1. The user interface is completely different. Do not expact it to work the same way because it was not designed to.

The short answer to your set up question is to select "move". If you move the unit with the set up area it will move there. If you move it outside the set up area then as soon as the game starts the unit will move there (you have essentially plotted it's first move). The set up areas are colored areas that are the same color as what is underneath your units when you get in the game.

Also seeing the graphics glitches no matter what graphics settings I use on my card, or in game.

Macbook Pro 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, Radeon x1600, with latest drivers compatible with this machine (cannot install 1st Party drivers only those provided by Apple sadly). XP Pro, SP2.

Originally posted by Elvis:

Deep breath sandy....deep breath. First, just until we have time to determine if you have the most recent graphic drivers and things like that, go into Options and lower the settings. That should take care of the flickering graphics. If it doesn't then you have a more serious technical issue that has nothing to do with how playable or unplayable the game is.

Next, (you're not gonna like this one) RTFM. CMSF is not the same game as CMx1. The user interface is completely different. Do not expact it to work the same way because it was not designed to.

The short answer to your set up question is to select "move". If you move the unit with the set up area it will move there. If you move it outside the set up area then as soon as the game starts the unit will move there (you have essentially plotted it's first move). The set up areas are colored areas that are the same color as what is underneath your units when you get in the game.

Whatever happened to calling people wankers?

You have turned into such a nice and helpfull person as of late Elvis.

Frankly, I'm dissapointed!

;)

//Salkin

Guys

First - please understand I want to love this game, and I am posting here as an expression of anguish that I am not happily playing my first QB. (because it is not fun to not know how to deploy)

No I have not read the manual

Yes, 5 minutes is a ridiculous instant to make a snap judgement on...BUT

Don't you think I should be able to deploy a unit without reading the manual??

My machine is a recent Toshiba Laptop that plays many, many other (actually all) recent games with no glitches...

I also would have preferred NOT to post this.

This is not a good first impression, I hope that is all...

Got the same flickering, units shouting, camera controls behaving erratically, and crash after 2 minutes into the game. BF download version. Running 7600GT so will have to see if updating the drivers fix some of the issues.

But am I getting this right: No customizable controls whatsoever? Not for command keys, not for camera, not for anything?

Originally posted by Exel:

Got the same flickering, units shouting, camera controls behaving erratically, and crash after 2 minutes into the game. BF download version. Running 7600GT so will have to see if updating the drivers fix some of the issues.

But am I getting this right: No customizable controls whatsoever? Not for command keys, not for camera, not for anything?

I believe you have to modify the .txt file to customize, it is not an in-game interface.

The controls are customizable with a textfile.

RTFM! :mad:

Thanks for the help

OK - now I know that to deploy a unit you use the move button - thank you - I can now try to play a QB (but I still say that is NOT intuitive - no way would I have worked that out!)

In answer to the other question, I still have appearing/disappearing trees/buildings/etc when I load a fixed battle as well with a QB

Now to try again for maybe 10-15 minutes...

The flicking problem COULD be the known Microsoft error. If you are running XP SP2, and have a dual core and have the flickering problem, MICROSOFT released a hot fix.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2AB5A48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B&displaylang=en

Give that a try, reboot your pc and see if you still ahve the flickering problem.

Rune

Originally posted by Pzman:

I wonder, could having anti-virus running during the installation cause the problems we are seeing? I didn't think to turn off AVG until I was half way through the installation.

You must have a really ****ty AVG if it blocks something without informing you about it.

Here is the 15 minutes report on CMSF

I have tried two more QBs - both crashed, one on turn 1, the other on turn 2 - I never even saw any action.

The constant demented shouting from the US troops is very annoying - competely unlike the realistic quality voices in CMBO, CMBB and CMAK...sound seems to have taken a quantum leap backwards?

The first impression is not getting any better...

I am now going to attempt to intall on another machine (instant gratification is certainly not available with my current download)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pzman:

I wonder, could having anti-virus running during the installation cause the problems we are seeing? I didn't think to turn off AVG until I was half way through the installation.

You must have a really ****ty AVG if it blocks something without informing you about it. </font>