Fluff or cool feature?

Sequoia

I think it's almost everyones' desire to, as one poster put it, "get the ******* game out already" as soon as possible. I also think everyone knows Battlefront can not include every stinkin little feature we can think of in the game. However the air and artillery support thread has me thinking about a feature that would (I assume) require very little programming time.

What I'm thinking about is somewhere be able to view a photo or illustration of what the in game air and off board artillery assets look like. Sure I can pull up a photo of a A-10 or Hornet off the web if I want, but I think it would be a nice feature to have a gallery some where in the game. What do you think? Cool feature or unneeded fluff that will delay the game?

Originally posted by Sequoia:

I think it's almost everyones' desire to, as one poster put it, "get the ******* game out already" as soon as possible. I also think everyone knows Battlefront can not include every stinkin little feature we can think of in the game. However the air and artillery support thread has me thinking about a feature that would (I assume) require very little programming time.

What I'm thinking about is somewhere be able to view a photo or illustration of what the in game air and off board artillery assets look like. Sure I can pull up a photo of a A-10 or Hornet off the web if I want, but I think it would be a nice feature to have a gallery some where in the game. What do you think? Cool feature or unneeded fluff that will delay the game?

Who really cares what they look like, honestly?

As it is, the silhouette of various weapon systems is depicted within the interface. The player will be able to visually tell various small arms, vehicles and other assets from one another. Mind you, it's not as accurate as a full size picture, but far more practical.

It wouldn't be a programming issue, I'm sure, but it might cause some interface problems - where exactly would this photo be shown, etc. Otherwise I did like the unit photos in Steel Panthers series. But in the end, don't all guns look alike? tongue.gif

In SP1 there was also an encyclopedia where you could read about vehicles - maybe something like this could also be implemented in CMSF? I wouldn't expect BFC to write weapon descriptions for all gadgets in the game, just leave it up for community to add those .txt files, just like CM didn't come with winter uniform yet supported the feature.

If a text file of this kind was available say for Stryker type A (see, I don't know what they're called so it'd help), then there'd be a button shown in unit summary that would display the text.

I believe BFC was considering a game Units/Definitions reference of some sort. Whether it would be in-game or accompanying PDF I don't know. This feature was notably missing from CMx1. To this day I still don't know what a "Volksgangslingenwaffendumkopf" unit is supposed to be! ;) No reference is understandable for CMBB - a reference book would be the size of an encyclopedia! A CMSF reference would be considerably thinner.

About whether its fluff or not, I would appreciate having some sort of a mental picture of which flavor of Russian artillery rocket was being rained down on my head.

I agree. It's a nice trick for the brain to have more visuals/eye candy in the game experience. Just think about the weapon icons on the CMx1 HUD. They could have use texts there, but it looks better this way. I like those icons a lot smile.gif

A nice picture in the 'Asset Wizard' would definitely add to the gfx value. But feature creep is the root of all evil (or was it premature optimization? smile.gif ) so I don't lobby for this.

It's fluff and what is generally called an "Encyclopedia". These used to be common in wargames, but they are time consuming to make (not very time consuming to program if done right). However, we personally feel that thanks to the Internet and search engines there isn't much need for an in-game encyclopedia. The information on the Internet is far more detailed, plentiful, and interesting than anything we could cook up on our own. So better to put our time and effort towards making the game cool enough that people want to Google things like "M110 SASS" and find out what it is :D

Steve