North v South 1860-65.

Maybe I missed it but given the philsophy that BF are following, a core Engine followed by period or Scenario modules, I am surprised that I've not come across any discussion of the American Civil War.

I'd have thought there would be a lot of support Stateside for it to be in the top five.

If the idea is that a major piece of work such as horses can only be justified if it is essential for a period, and then ported back to be used in other modules then The civil War would be an ideal period to justify the effort and generate the sales to make it worth while.

Being Scottish I am not sure I would buy it, but it was a diverse theatre in terms of battle types terrain and weather, and it is often cited by some as heralding the birth of modern warfare, because of the impact of industrialisation, not least the train, and the growing lethality of infantry weapons and how they began to change tactics.

Peter.

I'd love to see it and I think it would fit nicely into BFC's game + module concept. Perhaps the initial game could cover the campaign in the East with modules for other notable areas like Vicksburg, Chattanooga/Atlanta, maybe even a separate "Invading the North" module with Antietam and Gettysburg.

IMO, 1:1 would have to be scaled down. Civil War:Bull Run uses 10:1 representation, I think. I'm sure the CMx2 can manage more units than that game. Maybe a 4 or 5:1 representation would work better.

I think it's a great idea - there hasn't been a good all around Civil War game since "Age of Rifles".

The Talonsoft games really sucked (one way or another) and the ones being put out now by the History Channel are garbage- they're unplayable.

If somebody would apply themselves to doing it, they could come up with a really excellent job of it and it would be great. Something people would marvel over at E3.

Originally posted by DeaconBlue:

and the ones being put out now by the History Channel are garbage- they're unplayable.

I'm not sure if you've ever taken a look at "Bull Run: Take Command 1861" by the guys at Mad Minute Games. (Google that for a link.) It's received good-to-excellent reviews, and I personally think it's quite a decent game, albeit with much potential for improvement. There's a demo at their site to try first -- I'd really encourage you to give it look, if you haven't already.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

"Being Scottish, I'm positive you won't pay full price for it if the possibility of buying it used, in a bargain bin, or just plain borrowing it exists..."

hey Dorosh

IF YOU BUY IT CAN I BORROW YOUR COPY....

Peter.

Can? Can?

You certainly may; just don't get porridge stains on the manual. :mad:

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

In London they say "may", in Glasgow we say ''can".... yeh ken,

Anyway,

"Brother may I please have a dime", doesn't have the same ring to it does it.

Peter.

If I had a spare dime to my name I wouldn't need to post here.

Have I derailed your thread suffieciently enough?

I wouldn't buy an English Civil War game if you put a gun to my head.

Now, I am imagining Culloden in 3D - the claymores shining in the su...well, glistening in the mist, anyway; the flowing tartan, the ruffled shirts. Would be a short game (f***ing Campbells :mad: ) but quite a spectacle to see in 3D.

Would Sgian Dubhs need to be modelled? Is there sufficient historical evidence of their use? How far can an empty pistol be thrown? What is the armour thickness of a targe?

I think the scale would have to go up a fair bit for a good ACW sim.

The most intersting ACW conflicts weren't 500 or less on a side. . . the upcoming BFC-published (but not developed) "Les Grognards" might be a better candidate for the ACW than CMX2. ACW tactics have a lot more in common with Napoleonic combat than they do WWII combat.

haven't we had enough american drivel games (wink)

On a serious note, I am sure in future they may release one but I am 99% sure the first games will be a WWII.

I would actually of liked 1939, it would of been so interesting.

[ September 07, 2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Ardem ]

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

ACW tactics have a lot more in common with Napoleonic combat than they do WWII combat.

Steve's indications have stated already that ACW would be a possibility. I think you're thinking about the engine from a WWII perspective and not from a generic game engine prospective.

Half Life 2's Source is just an engine. There are RPGS coming out for it, just as easily as wargames and flight sims and solitaire games could be used with it.

Though Steve has also noted the difficulty in abstraction which is what you may also be referring to.

However...Steve said that it was not so much in the unit scale, but rather in the team size since "everything revolves around the team." So basically you'd just be making the teams bigger. Obviously you aren't see 12 models in each squad currently in CMx1.

Basically, I'm just saying that ANYTHING is possible. Heck, they may wanna try a space sim with made up space frigates, etc. That way they could get away from all the research and carping about handgrenade armor penetration that tends to plague those releases.

Originally posted by dumrox:

*snip* IMO, 1:1 would have to be scaled down. *snip*

I don't think so. I'm not very familiar with Bull Run and the other ACW battles (what reminds me to read the McPherson in my bookhelf), but I think as any other battles it can be broken down into different phases/parts/battles, each can be played as single scenario and all together would be a campaign?

BTW, I would be pleased about an ACW or Napoleonivc or 18th century game.

If you are talking about the MadMinute ACW game, it does indeed scale according to the level of command taken by the player.

Another part I like about that game is the use of horse riding couriers that gallop from the order issuer to the recipient to represent appropriate delays.

The larger scenarios can get quite hairy, but I think it shows that such a game is not only doable, but fun.

BDH