Give it up!

ClaytoniousRex

This is a request for just a few seconds of your time, so bear with me!

Some of us don't follow the "Modding" forum so I wanted to take a moment to praise the prolific work of a DropTeam player and modder whose forum name is Hub. He's the incredibly talented guy who has created a few of the scenarios that we've all been playing lately. Here's a random sampling of his work (some of these have not yet been released but will be in 1.1.6):

HoodooIntro.jpg

IceIslandintro.jpg

Joust2_Mix_Intro.jpg

Seekintro.jpg

SwampIntro.jpg

Testintro.jpg

As we can all see he's very talented and creative. His latest stuff (most or all of which I hope will appear in the upcoming 1.1.6 release) is even better than his previous work. There's nothing better than getting new content for free in new releases!

Hub invests his time and energy on a completely volunteer basis, toiling away on these things and sharing them with this community for free. He does it for the joy of doing it and sharing the work.

So, here's my call to action: everyone please take just a moment to say "Thanks, Hub!" for all of the work he has poured into these scenarios. A simple reply to this topic would do fine. It only takes a few seconds of your time but it makes a big difference to guys like Hub who have worked so hard to share their work! Of course, this also applies to everyone else who has been modding and creating content, so please also offer a slap on the back whenever you can to all of them. I admire creative people who work to actually realize a finished thing and that's reason enough for me, but if such altruism isn't your thing then think of it this way: these people are giving you new content for free, asking only for feedback, thanks, and fun gaming in return. The more often you give kudos the more often you will get free stuff.

In Hub's case, he has been pushing the envelope with his scenarios in terms of trying new things such as limiting the inventories of the teams and tweaking victory conditions, etc. Of course when anyone tries new ideas, some of us like them and some of us don't. Scenario creators like Hub want to hear your feedback on what you do and don't like about the new scenarios (after hearing a big "Thanks for making this!", of course!)

What they don't want to hear is simply "your scenario sucks", which unfortunately is more or less what someone emailed to Hub directly. Now think about that. He has spent hours of effort creating something new to give to all of us for free - he has created a new scenario for us to play with that we never would have had otherwise. And one of us goes out of his way to directly email him an insult? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you... If that's how we treat our modders, then we aren't going to have much new content.

Hub didn't ask me to make a post like this (or do anything at all), but I've never been able to digest the simple, rude, childish, vileness of such things. And, anyway, the point of this is that it's bigger than Hub. We should treat our modders well.

As I said, folks who are creating scenarios do want to hear from you, even if you don't like some aspects of their scenarios. You might say you don't like the unit limits or that the limits should be changed or that the scoring isn't to your liking, etc., but you can say "You rock" first, and say the rest nicely. And the occasional senseless insulting email wouldn't hurt so much if it were surrounded by otherwise positive feedback and kudos...

Originally posted by aittam:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by emodin-:

Thanks a bunch, Hub.

Now all you need to do to completely satisfy me is set up a European server (or any server with a ping under 190) :D

poesel is running a german server </font>

Thanks Hubby (Sorry, I couldn't resist ;) )

I'm looking forward to these new scenarios. Some of those look really promising.

That planet looks REAL creepy, by the way. I like it.

I gotta say man, you are a real inspiration. Seeing some of the things you do, and you do it without asking for thanks. I hope that I make a scenario that turns out half as well as yours. So cheers to you, mate.

So hip hip for hub

And hooray for all modders!

And a hearty Boo! for whoever sent that email.

Thanks to Clay and everyone for the thumbs up. I appreciate it. We are a pretty small group as far as this sort of thing goes, so it is incumbent on us all to hang together and help keep this thing flying.

Lap dances eh? Darn shame Danni Ashe is retired…