**Weapons and Warfare** Expansion Pack announced!!!

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

...Until then here is a screehshot highlighting some of the changes to be found in the expansion:

sitzkrieg.jpg

This looks great! I dare ask for one more thing.

By and far most world maps are flatten around the equator (or some line rather close to the equator. This flattening effect has some nasty distortions on northern latitudes, such as northern Europe. East-West distances are "stretched" while north-south tiles are not. The result is that you end up having more tiles than necessary when you measure say the distance from Lodon to Oslo - because the map was stretched in order to flatten it.

This creates some important game play anomalies. The most obvious one regards aircraft ranges in the northern seas. But there are some less obvious, yet more important effects regarding supply lines in northern Russia.

This problem can be greatly reduced easily using a map that was flattenned at lattitude closer to the bulk of the strategic action in Europe (somewhare around Paris-Berlin-Warsaw-Moscow axis).

If Hubert provides me an e-mail address will gladly e mail a sample source map.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by AstroCat:

Oh yes, please add a lot more SFX. Or at least let us add them, you just put the tags in.

I'd love to add national music to all capitals, things like that. smile.gif

We have been adding in more sound effects and with the new #IMAGE and #SOUND tags you can essentially add images and sounds to any of the scripted events, which by the way is a nice feature for adding atmosphere to the game smile.gif

Originally posted by hills:

Hubert, I am curious about the expansion pack concerning the railroads: In addition to impacting Operational Movement, will it also affect supply? ie. You cut the rail links to a city, it reduces or eventually eliminates the supply rating of that city? Will units be able to trace supply from a railhead? Is there a repair mechanism for the rail lines when they change hands(for example it take two weeks for a captured rail line to become operational after capture)?

Thanks!

The plan for rail is that if selected as the primary Operation method via the Editor setting, then it will also affect supply between cities as you have outlined. No plan for a repair mechanism but in some cases it won't be necessary since each city is a rail hub, and in Russia for example, under Scorched Earth the Germans will have to wait for the city to return to strength >= 5 before they have any use of it. Should play out quite nicely smile.gif

Originally posted by Elmo:

Any chance we will see an updated PDF version of the manual now that this expansion is coming out and there have been a half dozen patches?

I believe the current PDF manual is up to date, it is with the latest patch IIRC at v1.05 but that is only because the changes for v1.06 did not warrant an update as it was mostly bug fixes and/or AI enhancements.

For SC2 WaW there will of course be updated documentation.

Originally posted by John Hugo:

I hope they make the U.S.A. bigger, and move it

further south, where it is supposed to be. It should at least move inland another 6 tiles and include the entire east coast from Maine to Florida.

John,

Actually the US/Canada is rendered to the map at probably 75% it's full size relative to Europe so that is why it is simply centered as a best fit in game.

Off hand though I thought about enlarging the US but since the focus is still mostly on Europe it is just left as is... but maybe for another game a larger US map would be more justified ;)

Originally posted by borsook:

Is there a chance the expansion will add oil as the resource need by units to perform movement? In the current game situation one of the main problem of Germany simply does not exist.

It does exist in the context that Russia and USA oil fields each give 30mpps. Germany only has one.

But no direct oil "points" to move troops. IMHO it would get into micromanaging which would start to bring SC2 into another category of war gaming. I prefer it as is.

Originally posted by Blashy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by borsook:

Is there a chance the expansion will add oil as the resource need by units to perform movement? In the current game situation one of the main problem of Germany simply does not exist.

It does exist in the context that Russia and USA oil fields each give 30mpps. Germany only has one.

But no direct oil "points" to move troops. IMHO it would get into micromanaging which would start to bring SC2 into another category of war gaming. I prefer it as is. </font>

The oil issue is interesting. I really like it in CEAW. Strangely it actually works in that game whereas most things dont.

The extreme weather effects produced in SC2 provide basically the same thing.

I like both but I find the weather too extreme in SC2 while I find the oil in CEAW to be just about correct. Both of these control factors are good but with the weather of SC2 I would be reluctant to add the additional oil factor.

Most of Germany's oil was synthetic, they used coal to manufacture it. Even when the Romanian oil fields where bombed it showed to have little effect.

More than anything being outproduced in armament and manpower is what overwhelmed Germany.

Originally posted by borsook:

In SC2 Germany can have 0 oil fields and rectify this by developing industry , not so in reality.

Actually, yes so. Who says that improving industrial deosn't also mean improving synthetic methods? And at any rate Germany dumping into industrial tech would be a bad idea. Try and you'll see what I mean.

Normal I have noticed your 82nd Airborne All American All the Way notice. You mean the 82nd no longer allows foreign nationals to gain citizenship via joining the military.

The laws may have changed but when I was in the Army many of my fellow 5th Special Forces troops where from different countries and where allowed to apply for citizenship upon completion of there tour in Nam. Seemed fair to me. Thought it was a great way for people to earn citzenship.

Originally posted by targul:

Normal I have noticed your 82nd Airborne All American All the Way notice. You mean the 82nd no longer allows foreign nationals to gain citizenship via joining the military.

No this is incorrect. The nickname dates to the First World War because the division recruited people from all 48 states (in a nutshell)

Oil as a means of war would be an interesting addition, but not sure if it's a necessary one at this point. MPP's sort of abstract the presence of oil. Oil fields give more of it, so it's just nice to have 'em.

The old game Command HQ, from about 1991, had oil as a resource that was needed to move ships, armor and planes. If it becomes too important, I feel it would start to limit German strategy, as you may be forced to always go for certain oil fields in order to sustain your military past a certain date.

Originally posted by Blashy:

Most of Germany's oil was synthetic, they used coal to manufacture it. Even when the Romanian oil fields where bombed it showed to have little effect.

More than anything being outproduced in armament and manpower is what overwhelmed Germany.

I am sorry but this is bull****. Synthetic oil production was terribly ineffective and it far from providing the needed amounts (not to mention that before 1944 technology did not reach decent developement level). One of the aim of the Ardennes offensive in 1944 was capturing Allied oil depots so the offensive could continue. Another example IIRC more Koening Tiger tanks were abandoned and destoryed by the crews because of the lack of fuel than by Allied soldiers.

From Wiki

Germany's annual synthetic fuel production reached more than 124,000 barrels per day from 25 plants ~ 6.5 million tons in 1944
From your site

May of 1941 noted that with monthly military requirements for 7.25 million barrels
Seems like it was providing about half the oil required.

Another interesting link.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=403163

Originally posted by n0kn0k:

[QB] From Wiki

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Germany's annual synthetic fuel production reached more than 124,000 barrels per day from 25 plants ~ 6.5 million tons in 1944

From your site

May of 1941 noted that with monthly military requirements for 7.25 million barrels
Seems like it was providing about half the oil required.

</font>