Wow. 1.06 patch is amazing!

Have it downloaded and running, especially looking forward to seeing the improvements in AI play, and after that the editor. :cool:

Fantastic Hubert. I've always admired your determination to put out the best game possible, and I'm sure everyone else has too. As was said from the first patch of SC-1, it's a real pleasure to see a game designer responding directly to player suggestions and comments long past the playtesting stages.

Hat's off to you, and as always, a big thanks. smile.gif

One-Day i hope to have a wide-screen like you do n0kn0k so that i can try out those wide-screen resolution's!. I have a 17" Widescreen on my LapTop, but so far i haven't had any need to use anything else but the regular screen selection sizes!.

I have already been playing the v1.0610 version...but have not tried the FINALE' version in this 1.06 series...so im about to do so right-now!.

[ February 23, 2007, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

Ron, I believe that the digitally delivered version on the server still is 1.05, but we will exchange that asap. The mail delivered version is an earlier version. So in any case you'll need to download the 1.06 patch if you order now.

Martin

I remember reading somewhere, probably in a post, that the PC DOS versions of AH games are worth a few bucks if you've got the boxes they came in, etc -- might consider selling mine as I'd like to see WallyWorld before I cash in the chips. :cool:

-- I really disliked those games, so they're in pristine condition. :D

I agree, V1.06 is a great improvement ! especially for its IA which I believe is much more difficult to beat ...

I played the 2 sides and won though with much more difficulties against the germans.

My remarks :

against the germans :

germany failed to progress in the USSR, took only 1 city. I managed to delay the invasion by letting a UK unit in Brest (kept part of german army in France). I believe the IA still lacks concentration of firepower while attacking

Also as a french I was disappointed to see the french fleet I a send to UK disappear after France surrendered...

Last : 2 US units were stuck north west of Spain after they landed (no move possible through the mountains ...)

against the Allieds :

US invaded Spain and was kept there by puting 2 german units in Bordeaux.

US should have invaded Vichy's France or landed in north africa or Italy

Waiting for the next improvementS !

Originally posted by Youri:

I managed to delay the invasion by letting a UK unit in Brest (kept part of german army in France). I believe the IA still lacks concentration of firepower while attacking

Yep, the AI can be fooled into diverting units from Russia by landing a UK unit in Brest or Sicily. I would like to see the AI in this case, divert only enough units to deal with the threat - i.e. max of 3 for Brest or Sicily - and/or send in enough air power to quickly eliminate the threat.

Okay, you might not want to hear it, but here are my reflections on the AI behaviour. Needless to say, 1.06 is a big step ahead as usual.. but there are certain things I still do not understand.. but lets do it one by one.

- the Allied Norway invasion script is great

- the American Portugal invasion script is good, but there should be a HQ attached in the first round

- when the American forces gather for the invasion of Spain from Lisbon to Madrid, they should make sure they capture Madrid in the first round.. otherwise german troops flood into spain and kill the Amerícans one by one.. esp. when the Americans advance without HQs and Air support. I killed 2 American Tanks and 3 Armies in the hills around Madrid which were on supply 0... makes it very expensive to buy them back... and it was far too easy.

- Allied AI is still bombing Axis occupied ports from 10% down to 0% which is quite useless

- the defense of the El Alamein Fortification is still inaccurate

- Russian AI ist still operating troops without a cause.. one unit out of the city, another one in.. B/S Grande.

I`m not a programmer, and I will never get one... but would it help to create so called Army Groups for large scale invasions and/or defenses in Russia? One Army group is a HQ, a fighter, a tank, an Army and 1-2 Corps... if these units take i.e. Portugal, they can operate from Lisbon and conquer Madrid in one turn.... and many more things.

Your Grandpa was badass smile.gif And quite smart for surrendering to the Americans.

strach2.jpg

Colonel Count Strachwitz von Gross Zauche und Camminetz was the most decorated regimental officer of the German panzer army in WWII. He was awarded all the grades of the Iron Cross, including the Knight's Cross on August 1941 and Oakleaves on 13 November 1942, the Swords on 28 March 1943, and Diamonds on 15 April 1944 when commanding a battle group in the sector of Army Group North.

Originally a cavalryman, Strachwitz belonged to an old military family with estates in Silesia. He served during WWI and with the Freikorps, and fought during the campaigns in Poland and France. He gained however reputation on the Eastern Front, exploiting with small battle groups to fight Russian armor. When isolated from friendly units he also showed courage outside his vehicle, fighting hand-to-hand against Russian infantry until his crew had repaired the tank. He became famous for his rapid advances, breaking through enemy lines and disrupting enemy headquarters and supply units. On one occasion he was the first to cross a river bridge, attacking a column of hundreds of Russian trucks and guns.

After fighting in the Stalingrad area, von Strachwitz commanded as an Oberst the Panzer Regiment of the elite Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland. Having only a handful of tanks, the Grossdeutschland division needed capable men like von Strachwitz to lead their tanks against a numerically superior Russian Army. On one occasion, he laid an ambush with four of his panzers deep inside Soviet lines. The Russian tanks never expected the enemy so deep in their own rear, and the German group destroyed 105 Russian tanks in less than an hour, without the loss of a single panzer.

After forming one of the first Tiger battalions, his disciplined crews were able to destroy many Russian tanks during the fighting for Kharkov. Von Strachwitz commanded the 1st Panzer Division and later as armor commander he was sent to Army Group North. Here he took part in the first offensive to restablish contact with Army Group North which had just been encircled for the first time. From September 1944 the various elements of Gruppe Strachwitz were used to cover the retreat of Army Group North into the Courland Sector.

Although von Strachwitz was a wonderful tactician at the battalion and regimental level, he was inflexible at times and unwilling to compromise. These qualities limited his success with larger units, and he was never used as a real divison commander. But in a situation where a battlegroup could operate independently, and when Strachwitz did not have to deal with equal or superior ranked officers, he was a great armor commander. Wounded no fewer than fourteen times during the war, he survived the front. He and his men found a way southwards through Czechoslovakia to become a prisoner of the Americans.

Originally posted by Hyazinth von Strachwitz:

- Russian AI ist still operating troops without a cause.. one unit out of the city, another one in.. B/S Grande.

I`m not a programmer, and I will never get one... but would it help to create so called Army Groups for large scale invasions and/or defenses in Russia? One Army group is a HQ, a fighter, a tank, an Army and 1-2 Corps... if these units take i.e. Portugal, they can operate from Lisbon and conquer Madrid in one turn.... and many more things.

Back when I was doing AI mods for SC2, I helped alleviate the Russian AI problem of operating defensive units too much. It's fairly simple, and if this is still occuring it may be worthwhile to implement.

It's sort of how you suggested Hyazinth. You have to make the AI "garrison" specific tiles, based on the location of German units. This way you can create defensive lines anywhere you want, and the AI will not move them. It's not enough to simply garrison a city, you have to make the AI create defensive lines similar to how a player would.

The best you can hope for from the Russian AI against a competent player is A)Ability to create many units and good tech and B)Decent defensive lines to stall attacks. If you can get the Russians to bog down the player until 44, and with competent US/British AI invading Germany, most players will have a fun challenge on their hands.

Now, with a bit more scripting (and a lot of testing), you can set up the Russian AI to go on offenses at the right times. This is truly the key to breaking the Germans in Russia. While the AI can slow you down, a good player will find the right moments to unleash his defenders and reserves to rip up the weakened Germans. It's more difficult to get the AI to do this at opportune times, for if you release their defensive lines at the wrong time, the German player can make short work of them.

*sigh*...wish I had the time to do AI work these days.

Originally posted by Hueristic:

I never even took the wrapper off my SC1 disk wonder what that's worth? ;)

maltese_falcon_appa.jpg

"Never mind the fake bird, fats, the man said he's got an original SC-1 v1.00 disc with the wrapper it came in. The stuff dreams are made of."

The AI is actually still operating around quite alot in Russia. Just played a game up till '46 (i was stalling a bit for fun) and it was operating units away very fast as soon as i penetrated their lines more then 3 or 4 tiles. Even if it was with 1 single corpse.

Imho operating should be even more limited for russian forces.