I've been permitted to help HC out with questions about the game.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. SC2 is a new game! We're finding with new research and diplomacy opportunities, plus increased unit costs with higher tech levels, that MPPs need to be managed much more carefully. Russian campaign in particular seems to have fewer units on both sides and lots more opportunity for maneuver.

Tanks are still roughly the same but the new attack-move feature benefits them. The ability to customize unit upgrades is also interesting, but frankly we haven't gotten much past 1941/42 to see too much of that yet. There's still a lot to explore about this game.

Also, lots of combat values have been adjusted, so many of the concerns from SC1 have been addressed. Worrying about too many air units or HQs or whatever is still premature. Oh, I suppose somebody will find a way to headsmack opponents with some interesting strategy, but there will be plenty of time for you guys to find that out. ;)

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Regarding leaders, what I see as truly important is that the leader list of every country to be greatly expanded. In SC1, USA getting 4 commanders is a joke - german air can snipe them and bye bye game. Add a lot of them just in case and Kuni can have his Badassovici HQ among them </pre>

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Is this thread a joke? You've got to be kidding me. I remember FIRST time I played SC, I'd figured out how to win everytime as Germany. I jumped into Forum fame with the claim,"I will never lose with Germany". I got all kinds of takers & trashed everyone of them, it was an absolute joke. These dudes who are testing need to look at overall strategy, not just clicking a few pieces.

Don't get me wrong, these Otto, Bill Macon, the Robert dude from Seattle, Blashy, Buffy & Jody are great people...they watch the History Channel & like to talk about graphics. But when you're talking about game plan & busting holes with tanks, extreme strategies, whatever...well, you know.

Test to break, not confirm. What a minute, I get paid $32.50 plus options & benefits for my services, sales, management, & development.

Legend is highly educated,

Legend is highly experienced,

Legend might just be high smile.gif

funny i thought terif was the only legend in SC1 ,maybe you should go away and play with the traffic.

I think if this is a strategic level wargame, one thing that has been overlooked, Generals or the General Staff? The names in SC1 weren't paid much attention to you just click to view 2 things, Rating/Experience. Reflection on the level of Rating has to do with the organization of the Armed Forces of that particular Nation which in my opinion is flawed in SC1 because you could buy Zhukov 1st rnd for Soviet Union or other such Quality Generals for the UK or the USA when historically these men found their Medals and Positions. Manstein was delegated to the East for Fall of France though his ideas were used.

Historically Certian generals wouldn't even be available in the leader buy page till certian times and had events gone a certian way maybe not at all. So a lot on "Men", "Commanders", "Who set themselves apart", is highly dependant on the campaign and some luck. Patton may have been the best General in the World had he the opportunity to lead Army Group North through Leningrad and Conquor Moscow by Oct 1941?

You never know my friends.. You see that's the beauty of history it's not all what you think.

So how intuitive is this SC2 editor?

Is anyone beta testing making a game from a different era with the editor?

If someone is beta testing using the editor, are they also maybe writing a tutorial for the editor?

My eyes kind of glaze over when I see a BIG map. How small can a map be? Could something the size of SPI's old free "Napoleon at Waterloo" be created?

Can the editor be used to create a tactical instead of a strategic game?

Cheers

Very intuitive, I started using it before reading the manual to see how intuitive it was. And the only experience I've ever had with editing for games is the sc editor.

All testers have access to the editor.

A tutorial is being written by pzgndr and it is very thourough.

36*18 is the smallest map size, to give you an idea the default movement rate of a corps is 3 tiles, so in 6 turns you've crossed the map vertically with the small size.

Tactical or Strategical mod? I will have to let someone who has experience with tactical games answer that one.

For that tactical feel we've got some smaller scenarios already built with the editor such as Overlord, Kursk, Bulge and Market Garden.

Some of the things you can do with the Editor is assign the game to be objective based (i.e., capturing objectives instead of forcing country surrenders etc.), tweak game length and turn amounts from days to months etc., and you can even control the MPP scheme to be collection based (as in SC1) or by setting an initial start amount with no further collection where the players only have a finite amount of MPPs to work with for the duration of the scenario. This works well for some of the shorter scenarios like Overlord where you have a single month as the Allies to capture all your pre-set objectives.

In general lots of flexibility and options smile.gif

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

For that tactical feel we've got some smaller scenarios already built with the editor such as Overlord, Kursk, Bulge and Market Garden.

Some of the things you can do with the Editor is assign the game to be objective based (i.e., capturing objectives instead of forcing country surrenders etc.), tweak game length and turn amounts from days to months etc., and you can even control the MPP scheme to be collection based (as in SC1) or by setting an initial start amount with no further collection where the players only have a finite amount of MPPs to work with for the duration of the scenario. This works well for some of the shorter scenarios like Overlord where you have a single month as the Allies to capture all your pre-set objectives.

In general lots of flexibility and options smile.gif

Hope this helps,

Hubert

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LEADER RATINGS????? :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad:

just kidding :D

Originally posted by Blashy:

How do the tanks perform in SC2? All I know is that so far I don't wish to go after a tank unit with armies or corps, I've had AT level 1 and it was still no worth it compared the losses I would incur.

So, if I build a German force of only Armor (in SC1 I could build 8 or so) I can roll right over the Russian army even more so than in SC1?

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blashy:

How do the tanks perform in SC2? All I know is that so far I don't wish to go after a tank unit with armies or corps, I've had AT level 1 and it was still no worth it compared the losses I would incur.

So, if I build a German force of only Armor (in SC1 I could build 8 or so) I can roll right over the Russian army even more so than in SC1? </font>

Well, in SC1 in a typical game of Huge MPPs it was possible to have 3 units thick on the Eastern Front. That does feel sort of inaccurate. Add in Air and HQs, sometimes 4 5 hexes would be filled on most fronts. Makes congestion and tactical movements harder. Much better to have a larger Map. Will allow for much more tactical manuevers and strategies.

Tanks sound great, remeber in history, they were powerful not because they had a cannon and MGs, it's because they could take it anywhere fast... That was their power... Mobility... Artillery for Stand Still fighting are superior to Armor but Artillery can't flank an enemy or can it smile.gif

In WW2 with the fast towing equipment of the Germans they even managed to outmanuever with their slowest of units. Mobility isn't just armor it's a cocept. Armor is as good an anti-personal weapon as it is a Destructive weapon. Alone it is very vulnerable, it needed to be covered with lots of other units but on the level this game is I'm certian that detachments of say Infantry, ATGs, support vehicles is a given... So Armor shouldn't be all too vulnerable on it's own just expensive...Well, German Armor was expensive odd another point--

Many say the German's big error was they thought too big with their Tanks, they couldn't afford to fuel or fix their Huge Tanks, whilst their staple Panzers 4s could've been built in greater # and were more feesible for the battlefield objectives where they failed. In the end though 3 Shermans blew up, 1 survived and killed the Tiger and since there was hell how many more Shermans there was no contest?

Such is the case with all situations on the WW2 Battlefield. Numerical superiority was the staple of that war. The Reds showed that. Inferior in so many ways their equipment was more ideal for mud and cold. With this be reflected in SC2? Their Gear wasn't nearly as designed as well as the Germans the big flaw that would cost the Germans gravely! Difference between a weapon you can drop and pick back up and use

Way too late in the day of course, but it'd be interesting if you <b>didn't</b> get to select which general you got.

You buy an HQ and the general is randomly selected from the pool of people available at the time. After about a year in action(or a random number of combats participated in), the name gets revealed. (a fog of war thing)

Certainly Churchill/Roosevelt/Hitler/Stalin didn't know the quality of the generals they put in the field until they'd fought a few battles.

You'd then have to be able to sack a general at low cost (50-100 MPP) and get another random name out of the hat and start over again. Most of the accumulated HQ experience would be lost in the process.

I like the idea of having generals whose capability is unknown when selected.

Perhaps you could purchase a name general for 400MPP and an unknown randomly selected general for 250MPP. The strength and name of the unknown general is revealed after combat.

Got a question on exeditionary forces, will they be possible? What I mean is, if I am playing as Germany am I able then to send ifantry corps, fighter planes, bombers, or tank groups to Italy for example so that they can use them to fight in Africa.

Can it be possible to send such units to other non allied countries as well. Say I want Finland to have a fighting chance against a possible Soviet invasion. Can I send them some 'loan' units that will fight under their flag?

In the editor, when creating, or editing existing campaigns, can I add as many cities as I want, or is there a limit. Say I want to make a biger map, add rivers, and add all major, and medium size cities. Is this possible?

Got a question on exeditionary forces, will they be possible? What I mean is, if I am playing as Germany am I able then to send ifantry corps, fighter planes, bombers, or tank groups to Italy for example so that they can use them to fight in Africa.

Can it be possible to send such units to other non allied countries as well. Say I want Finland to have a fighting chance against a possible Soviet invasion. Can I send them some 'loan' units that will fight under their flag?

Of course you can send units wherever you please, but you can not have an HQ from another countrie "control" those troops. You would simply have to send an HQ with these units for full benefits.

In the editor, when creating, or editing existing campaigns, can I add as many cities as I want, or is there a limit. Say I want to make a biger map, add rivers, and add all major, and medium size cities. Is this possible?

All that you've mentioned is easily done and much more. Although city sizes are all the same, but you could bunch a few cities together so 4 tiles of cities represents 1 big city.

About the expeditionary forces, I am not sure I understand 100%. Are you saying, yes, you can send a German Infantry unit to Italy, and let the Italian AI control it? And ask for that unit back at a later date? Or as Germany I send 4 Infantry Corps/divisions to Finland, before the Winter War. They then use those units as they please, being controlled by the Finnish AI. Is that posssible?

Thanks for answers, and the fact that you can add as many cities as one wants is awesome. I can create a true Operation Blue, or Operation Saturn Campaign. With Stalingrad being some 4 or maybe 5 hexex large, making an actual front in the city itself.

This game is going to be awesome, I am getting for sure, along with CMC. Thanks for the answers Blashy!

That's asking a little more than your original question.

You never mentioned about AI control or sending troops BEFORE a country is active.

The answer is no, you can't send troops to an inactivated country.

As for AI control, I can't answer this one myself.

• 1 month later...