Why are bombs in lbs?

well over here in the states, if someone has a "kilo" of something, it's usually drugs. lol..

actually the us was supposed to go metric back in '82, but there too much resistance to change. in fact, the head of the metric board resigned, saying "if God had meant us to be metric, He'd have had 10 disciples instead of 12". true story!

Originally posted by geozero:

I think everyone uses metric system, except U.S. and U.K., and since the game is made in the U.S.... well there you have it, Just a thought.

And to make things even stranger, the US military uses metric for distances, but not for most other things.

Originally posted by zukkov:

"if God had meant us to be metric, He'd have had 10 disciples instead of 12". true story!

I heard people say the same about god giving us 10 fingers for a reason though smile.gif

Originally posted by Snarker:

And to make things even stranger, the US military uses metric for distances, but not for most other things.

Might be because it's handy when cooperating with NATO partners :D

Or, as Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman said in "Good omens":

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: Two Farthings = One Ha'penny. Two Ha'pennies = One Penny. Three Pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupennies = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bobs = One Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 Pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

:D

You are correct. This should be set-up for each country as we here in the US are unwilling/ unable to learn the metric system. I demand a Scottish version in stones, etc.

We Americans are unlearned in the metric system therefore we shun it. The sole exception to this rule is our drug trade which has no problem converting ounce to pounds to kilos to grams and back again.

Hope this clears up a few points.

I think the main point is...these are german and/or russian (and a few others as well) bombs...they are built to a metric sytem (say 250kg, or 1000kg etc) and so that is how they should be designated. When a Hawker Typhoon drops a bomb, I am quite happy to refer to it in pounds (because it wieghs a "nice" number of them...like 500 or 1000 etc).