How many of you are sticking with CMBO for the moment?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten used to the CMBB shockwave-less explosions pretty quickly. I still play PBEMs on CMBO, and I never notice the difference as far as determining where the explosions are happening. I was also a bit miffed at first that they took the shockwaves away, but the new improvments VASTLY outweigh this...**cover arcs**, improved suppression modeling, new units, etc. really shine in CMBB.

First of all, I'm a CMBO fan. Yes, I have credentials to back it up. And CMBO has never looked better, with all the MODs installed. Its really amazing how far it has gone.

However, CMBB is just a better game than CMBO. Both great, but I'm sorry, CMBB is at the next level. No, won't be playing much CMBO because my time is precious, and what there is of it, it will be in battling it out on the battlefields of CMBB.

This issue with shockwaves as being a game killer is a bit extreme, don't you think? Yea, I liked them too, but after a time, I'm not missing them anymore. The other special effects of CMBB are just plain outstanding, the muzzle fire and smoke, LOS blocking clouds from building collapses, sparks on tanks, ground churning up from small arm fire, wind blown smoke, two types of smoke (wood/building vs vehicle), moving trees, and so on.

And the number of units and graphics! Makes CMBO a graphics midget. A little thing like the improved infantry models goes a long way in helping immersion. The German helmets look like German helmets with recognizable markings to boot. The infantry graphics alone makes CMBO look mighty back level, even with all MODs applied to CMBO. Oh come on, those new officer models have to make you drool!

No one can accuse me of not being a CMBO fan. And I love MODs. But the real action will be happening with CMBB. You can stick with CMBO because it does service the West Front better than anything on the market. In that regard, its the best. But its no longer the King of the tactical WWII wargames anymore, its second best.

CMBB brings more tools to the table and bumps up the experience another notch. So that will be the one I'll play, the one with the mostest and the bestest.

My CMBO CD won't be spinning much anymore.

I'm gonna be sticking with CMBO beacuse I have to try and graduate sometime soon :D Also the eastern front is fine and all but I'ma big west front guy, I'll get CMBB but CMBO will always sortof be that "first love" and will always have a place on my HD, best damn game I have EVER played smile.gif

Originally posted by HVAP:

I'm gonna be sticking with CMBO beacuse I have to try and graduate sometime soon :D Also the eastern front is fine and all but I'ma big west front guy, I'll get CMBB but CMBO will always sortof be that "first love" and will always have a place on my HD, best damn game I have EVER played smile.gif

Graduation and the Real World are badly overrated.

Stay in school, kid, stay in school.

Steve

Regarding the game on Macs... I've got a B&W G3/350 and CMBB runs fine (minus some of the real nasty ones ;) ). I've got a ATI Radeon 7000, I'm not experiencing problems. Play BB all the time. Couldn't tell you what the framerate is, but its not that different from my highly MODed CMBO.

And, I know it's personal opinion here, but I am routinely stunned that shockwaves are a game breaker.

As for the engine, well I'm thrilled with the changes. Things work now. So much so, in fact, that I wish they had the time and interest to quickly (heh! ;) ) do the western front with the BB engine. I've still got a PBEM in CMBO going on, but I'm not sure I'll play much BO after it's finished.

So I guess that's my 2 cents on whether or not I'll be sticking with CMBO.

I still like to play CMBO. It's a change from CMBB & I have a lot of fun scenarios on it that can be played in under an hour. Plus I've spent a hell of a long time downloading CMMOS & and the mods that go with it. There's no way I'm getting rid of CMBO anytime soon.

since i got CMBB, CMBO has not been in the CMROM drive at all. Still love CMBO, but CMBB is the better wargame and i prefer the savage Ostfront.

Also, I LOVE the "thump" sound the bullets make when they hit the ground. It is certainly un-nerving to say the least...

[ October 24, 2002, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: V ]

I'm sticking with CMBO.... because my order for CMBB has gone missing in the mail.

As an old Squad Leader/ASL person who thought I'd still occasionally get out "the set" of counters and boards for a night of nostalgia (and who hasn't touched it in years now) I suspect that the moment I get CMBB, provided it's not as dull as the demos, it'll be so-long CMBO for the next few years. I always used to play Russians in ASL anyway.

Like most of the war gamers in this topic, I will play both. They both work fine on my personal system {2GIG AMD Athalon XP, Gigabyte board w/ Via chipset and a Geforce 4, 500 megs of ram}. And both games have played fine on my customers machines ranging from 350mhz on up,{although running a bit slower on lower end machines}.