I laughed, I cried, I realized what a pathetic goon I am... Get the full story here!

It is at times such as this that I constantly wonder why all the time, energy, and resources used to spawn my pathetic shell weren't put to better use; such as a nice, scenic rock formation, or a four-slotted toaster. Allow me to explain the half mad, half insane ramble.

You see, I finally got off my duff and pre-ordered CMBB. Throughout the process, I made sure I paid special attention to each and every detail to ensure no fowl-ups would inhibit or otherwise screw up my order. I made sure the cardholder name was correct (difficulty level: 1), I ensured the shipping and billing addresses were in order (difficulty level: 1), and triple checked the string of numbers that make up my debit card (difficulty level: 2).

The one thing I neglected to check was the actual provider (so to speak) of the card. I checked VISA when I should have checked MasterCard. :rolleyes: .

This slipped my attention until I received the confirmation email from BFC. When I learned of my moronic error, even the precious sanctity of the public library of which I am employed was in serious jeopardy. A rather crude barrage of expletives was about to spring fourth from my gaping maw, utterly shattering the serine tranquility of the library.

I somehow managed to remain calm throughout the ordeal. Seeing as how this could easily be the most important event of the year for me, I quickly emailed BFC and let them know of the error. I hope they can fix this before I am placed even further down on the queue.

Now it is time for all to join in and have fun at my expense. Let the jeers and constant torment commence.

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

I for one am not at all surprised. If you work for the library, you're what? A county employee? I'm just surprised you didn't order CMBO again!

Heh, no, I'm not really a government employee at any level. Although, I do have a thing for bureaucracy and wasteful spending.

Originally posted by tiborhead:

Well, at least it's not as bad as ordering a copy for the wrong system. :D

Now wait a second before you pass judgement on some of us! My good old dial up can move things around on the screen while it is still generating the pictures. So I went to click on the PC version, but it took me to MAC. I almost ordered the wrong one!!! That would be the worst. I would just go buy a MAC that day then smile.gif

Chad

Umm, actually, well, you see...

Credit cards have an encoding system wherein the first digit of the card number identifies the type of card -

To wit:

3 - Amex

4 - Visa

5 - MC

6 - Discover

So all this gnashing of teeth and self flagellation may be for nought.

As usual.

Actually it goes much deeper than that, a credit card number can tell you a great many things by just the number alone. And actually while you are correct that is not what saved Tiborhead. You are on the right track but not quite right.

[ September 17, 2002, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Priest ]

Uh... not that I would know from personal experience or anything ... a FRIEND, ya, a close friend told me that he made the same boneheaded move as you one time ordering CMBO.

I, uh...HE contacted MM and explained the problem and was told that the card number provides all the necessary information; it does not matter if the proper card type was not chosen.

It appears that all is well. I received an email from BFC saying it has been taken care of. Now, I'm not sure if that means they had to cut through their ordering database to alter my info, or just sit around and laugh at me. Either way's fine with me, so long as I get my copy by next week.